Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 04:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/140 Female 64
BF:too scared
Progress: 80%
Default i'm a cheater

anyone have any advise? i have gained 5 lbs in 10 days and christmas is this week(christmas goodies). i am so down on myself that i am afraid that i will just go crazy and eat everything. some may not think 5 lbs is a lot but i have fought to lose the last 5 lbs for over 6wks. it only took ~ 10 days to gain them little %^&$**# back.
should i go back on induction or should i just reduce my carbs to 20g?
help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 05:24

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

[

LADY!! STEP AWAY FROM THE FOOD!!

If it was me, I'd go back on induction - I would need the strict guidelines to get me back in control. Good luck and remember we are here for you when you need a shoulder. Isn't it amazing how fast it comes back! That right there should be enough to scare you!

Last edited by jun keater : Sun, Dec-19-04 at 05:29.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 05:31

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I would say that after being off for 10 days it might be a good idea to do Induction for 3-4 days to get back into ketosis and get you back on track, kick re-addictions, etc. Then, you could go back to however you were LCing before you went off track.

Please, don't beat yourself up and get yourself all depressed and stressed. It doesn't help and it could make things worse for you. I've been there, done that and it doesn't do anybody any good.

The best thing to do is to just make the next thing you eat LC. Then the next and the next. Don't make a big production of it, just do it and consciously choose LC foods only. Then, if you do get tempted to have something that's not LC, remind yourself that you're now back on track (even if it's just 1-2 meals back into it) and you don't want to start all over AGAIN!

Journal (either here or on paper) and write down exactly how you feel right now after cheating for those days. Go back and read it if you're tempted to cheat again and remind yourself why it's such a bad idea and how you'll feel about it afterwards. Another thing is to remind yourself that it takes 2-3 days to get back into ketosis so a cheat is going to set you back those 2-3 days, not to mention the 'carb flu', cravings, withdrawals, water-weight gained, feeling like crud physically and emotionally. It's just not worth it!!!

Don't forget that most likely 1-3 lbs of that 5 you gained are probably water.

Oh, one last thing I went off and on, off and on, and each time I gained and lost the same 5-6 pounds. Guess what? Each time it got a little harder to lose that weight and then finally, even with sticking strictly to plan I couldn't get it to come off!! I finally have now but it was such a struggle, so depressing and frustrating. Don't do that to yourself! It was terrible and I almost gave up completely.

hth,

Nicole
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 05:52
Registered Member

thank you both so much. nikkil and jun. i needed to hear someone say that i can do it, i suppose. now i need to do it.
i think i will go back on induction. and yes, today :O)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 06:53

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Everybody stumbles.....the important thing is that you are jumping right back onboard. I think a clean induction would do you wonders!! Best wishes and good luck on your journey.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 07:36

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Good for you.

Try to remember when the food is in front of you WHY you want to lose the weight. Find your reason NOT to eat that gooey goodie or the potato that is calling your name.

If you really stop and think before chowing down, it may help you to limit what goes in this holiday season.

Tip #1: Never skip a meal. I find if I skip one, I have absolutely no control by the time the next meal comes around. Sometimes it's even the meal after that when the desire to eat everything kicks in. But it always happens.

Tip #2: Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, go to a holiday feast hungry. Eat something that takes the edge off before you leave the house, or before the first guest shows up so you don't have that overwhelming desire to have "just one". We all know it doesn't stop at one.

Hope this helps!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208.5/172.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

We all have our setbacks. I would go through a clean induction again. This time of year is so hard. I believe for lots of us it is much much worse than Thanksgiving, because lots of us have to go to Christmas parties and also have split families and go through several Christmas dinners. I have passed on the home baked goods that have been brought into the office at work. I have been through one family Christmas already and did not cheat. I am proud of myself, but also need to keep my guard up for the next two dinners. We can all get through this together! Come back for lots and lots of support.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Wow!! I gained 10 pounds in a little over a month doing the low fat diet, and cut my eating down so much in the last week before I decided to go back on Atkins that I lost a whopping 2 pounds, and was STARVING all of the time!! I went back on induction, was not hungry at all, and lost 9 pounds in 6 days!!! Just get back in line, and you will be fine!! I know that the weight loss on this WOL is so worth passing up the cookies and cake!! I love the way I look and feel so much now, that I will never let myself get so out of control with my weight ever again for the taste of a cookie or pie. If I can't stand it, and need something sweet, I choose low carb (sugar free) candy. But the side effects (gas, bloating) make me have to really, really, really want the sweet taste!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 00:01
Registered Member

thanks for the advice and encouragement. i love this forum. it has great people and good advice.
also dwilson9, i hope i lose 9lbs in the amount of time you did!!! that was awesome. the most i lost in 2wks was ~7lbs. and for you to go through christmas dinners already and not cheat. wow!!! you should be very proud of your accomplishment. i didn't last through one meal for the holidays. how pathetic is that. i am so proud of you.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 05:33

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson9
We all have our setbacks. I would go through a clean induction again. This time of year is so hard. I believe for lots of us it is much much worse than Thanksgiving, because lots of us have to go to Christmas parties and also have split families and go through several Christmas dinners. I have passed on the home baked goods that have been brought into the office at work. I have been through one family Christmas already and did not cheat. I am proud of myself, but also need to keep my guard up for the next two dinners. We can all get through this together! Come back for lots and lots of support.

I think Christmas is harder for not only the reasons you mentioned, but also because of all the extra stresses around Christmas. Thanksgiving comes around and you have a big meal or two and then it's back to normal. Christmas you've got the whole $$ thing, trying to fit in shopping and wrapping, lists, lists, lists, parties, special events at school if you have kids, then New Years is right after! The whole month of December is completely caught up in it. Oh, and let's not forget "Christmas Baking"

I started Induction on Dec 1, 2003, and made it thru the whole month without a single cheat. I did use sf chocolates on Christmas Day as a crutch but that's it. So, it can be done. Mainly it's just focussing on all the non-food aspects of the season and what you're trying to accomplish.

Take care,

Nicole