Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 05:53
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Valerian root - best depression and anxiety treatment

At least as worthy a challenger for the title of "best depression and anxiety treatment" as any patented drug is the powerful, yet subtle and non-additive extract of the Valerian root. Regularly triumphing against drugs in bouts of melancholy or edginess in Europe (where doctors are free to prescribe what works instead of what the drug biz dictates - at least until the wrath of Codex), Valerian root also brings to the ring proven effectiveness against insomnia and sleep disorders - common among the depressed or anxious.

Proving itself in over 200 scientific pharmacological studies published over the last 30 years (mostly in Europe, of course), Valerian extract's sedative properties equaled that of the mainstream promoted Halcion drug in at least one study - but without the hangovers and loss of focus that drug routinely causes.

As for side effects, typical doses tend to carry no more than occasional mild stomach upset. And with Valerian root, there have never been any reports of suicide, addiction, mental disturbance, or overdose.

From 1820 to 1942, Valerian root was officially listed in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia as a tranquilizer. Make no mistake, it's a real drug - just one of natural origin, like so many other legitimate cures which the mainstream is doing its best to smother out of existence. If you look around, you can find it in health food stores and compounding pharmacies. It's even on the shelves in pill form in many supermarkets.

I'd shop around for the liquid extract itself, though. For best results, look for the words "water-soluble" on the label, and make sure it's .8% valerenic acid in strength. And stock up - the way we're headed, the stuff might be outlawed soon.

Bottom line: If you're depressed or anxious, Valerian can help. But it can't beat the very best cure out there for these ailments: Perspective. If you're feeling low, reflect on all that's positive in your life compared to how it would be if you lived in third-world Africa, under the yoke of Islamic fundamentalism in the Middle East, or in the most isolated areas of the former Soviet Union...

This, plus some good sleep (aided by underdog "knockout artist" Valerian root) will pick you up again in a matter of weeks.

Naturally snoozing, not prescription-drug using,

William Campbell Douglass II, MD

http://www.realhealthnews.com/daily...dd20050906.html
Sponsored Links
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 07:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've taken halcion and I've taken Valerian Root (many different brands, tea, capsules, etc). They're not even remotely similar. Maybe if you scarfed down a bottle of Valerian, it might, but I take a couple of capsules of Valerian at night and it may make me a tad drowsy, but if you've every taken halcion... you'd know, its definitely in another class.

I really wish the health industry would stop overhyping stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 08:20

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

I've tried just about every herb, vitamin + mineral on the planet and have come to the following list of stuff which DOES make a big difference to me mentally:

fish oil- depression. Even if it doesn't work on its own, it seems to make everything else work much better.
GLA - pmt/eczema
magnesium- sleep/depression/anxiety (da bomb imo)
vit C- cortisol/adrenaline control
ginseng - (expensive extract only) - calm energy
passiflora - much better than valerian for calmness
5htp - small doses only - depression/anxiety

Valerian has the opposite effect on me - it makes me hyper. I know several people who have this experience.

Loops
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 08:25
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

Loops:

Thanks for the great feedback. Could you please copy to the sticky "Supplement Information Resources " at the top of this section of the forum?

Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 08:36

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

sure -

done!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 08:46

Plan: Semi South Beach
Stats: 167.5/138/130 Female 66.6 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

thanks for the post.

I think I'm going to try it out. I have anxiety and sleeping problems.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 11:34

BF:

Well I've been taking it for 2-3 weeks now and I definitely sleep better now. But I've also added alot of magnesium in my diet. I eat a spinach broccoli chicken wrap everyday for lunch. I feel so much better than I used. Ironically, today I'm a bit tired.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 13:26

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default Not for me

I've been told to stay away from it--reacts badly with my body.

Agreed--I wish the "health" industry, such that some unified body exists with that label, would get a bit more real. Heroin is a natural drug too, as is cocaine. So why not just replace Ritalin with the powder?

And on a sidebar: Just WHERE would any deaths related to valerian intake be reported? Prescription drugs have a tracking system, such that it is. I reported adverse effects from one OTC med once and WOW, was there ever paperwork!! Who are you going to complain to when the herb fries your liver?

(Not that I want an oversight body in the US at all. But it doesn't mean anything to say "no deaths have been reported" when there's no mechanism of reporting.)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 13:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
I've been told to stay away from it--reacts badly with my body.

Agreed--I wish the "health" industry, such that some unified body exists with that label, would get a bit more real. Heroin is a natural drug too, as is cocaine. So why not just replace Ritalin with the powder?

And on a sidebar: Just WHERE would any deaths related to valerian intake be reported? Prescription drugs have a tracking system, such that it is. I reported adverse effects from one OTC med once and WOW, was there ever paperwork!! Who are you going to complain to when the herb fries your liver?

(Not that I want an oversight body in the US at all. But it doesn't mean anything to say "no deaths have been reported" when there's no mechanism of reporting.)

Vegetables are natural too. Are you going to stop eating those? Anything you put into your mouth can have an adverse affect on you (you can be allergic, you can choke, etc)

It's kind of like telling someone not to drive, because you might get into an accident.

Purvi
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 13:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default Excuse me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neela26
Vegetables are natural too. Are you going to stop eating those? Anything you put into your mouth can have an adverse affect on you (you can be allergic, you can choke, etc)

It's kind of like telling someone not to drive, because you might get into an accident.

Purvi

But I wasn't the one who said "if it's natural, it must be safe" which is a rephrase of the original posting.

I do a lot of things that are decidedly risky, chain-saw carving and fire dancing among them. I understand the risks. I don't understand why you criticized my post.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 138/126/120 Female 66
BF:

After reading throught these posts--have any of you tried 5-HTP? It is a seritonin precursor and helps the body to rebuild it's stores of seritonin. that being said--research has found that individuals low in seritonin often are found to have high depression and anxiety as well as sleep disorders. Seritonin is essential for peopel to get into REM (stage 4) sleep. without it, you don't get to REM sleep stage. 5-HTP does not cause drowsiness and it is not something you have to stay on such as zoloft or the like. It has been found to be a natural alternative without the sexual side effects pharmaceuticals have today. if anything read more about it.