Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 05:34

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

There are many fats that have been dropped from our diets: beef, lard, fish, chicken......at one point in my journey, I was boiling beef fat trimmings from the butcher. Often filled a niche, and while a pie plate of 4-6 strips of trimmers was prepared, more than a few ounces is more than enough...... very self limiting. But a flavor profile different than other animal fats.

When shopping at Walmart the other day, I was amazed AGAIN, to see a HUGE variety of oils. Far more than anyother store. Grapesee oil. avocado oil, and the usual suspects. Sesame oil is also available sometimes. Not sure if ther is anything other than toasted versions. Maybe one of those will work for you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 11:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Thanks for the responses! I had to stop dairy due to chronic sinusitis.. headaches too. Doc was giving me a lot of Rx for sinus infections which another doc said my sinus looked more like allergic inflammation. So I stopped the dairy and all my "sinus infection" symptoms cleared up in a week like pressure, pain, dizziness! crap
oh the power of cheese. It kept me satisfied and not craving carbs. Now, I'm craving carbs again and I'm always hungry now.. Maybe its just the body adjusting?
Perhaps it's lack of fat you were getting from the cheese? Dairy, especially cheeses, but not kefir does cause me some sinus congestion and stalls weight loss. I uses some whey as a more digestible protein and that doesn't seem to cause issues. It's complicated!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 12:27

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

I'm dairy-free. I don't use replacement non-dairy Foods. Most of them have too many ingredients that would aggravate my hands. I'm strictly gluten-free dairy-free to prevent rheumatoid arthritis flare ups.

I use a lot of homemade mayonnaise made with mostly avocado oil. It's really yummy and it sticks to other Foods really well. Sometimes just cooking food in extra fat doesn't help because the fat just falls off the food.

I use the aroy-d coconut milk in my coffee.

Thanks for the link to the high-fat dairy-free thread. It looks like it has some good ideas

I'm in a dairy-free keto Facebook group where people help each other troubleshoot what to use instead of dairy. And I'm in another fb group called the 30 day ketogenic cleanse. It's based on the book by Maria emmerich. I actually like the recipes in the 30 day cleanse book better than the ones in her dairy free book. They're almost all dairy-free but they don't use the weird substitute products.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 14:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
Sometimes just cooking food in extra fat doesn't help because the fat just falls off the food.

That's why, if no one is watching, I lick my plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
It's based on the book by Maria emmerich. I actually like the recipes in the 30 day cleanse book better than the ones in her dairy free book. They're almost all dairy-free but they don't use the weird substitute products.

Thanks! I found out that book is in the library, so I'm checking it out.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 07:51

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
Mayflowers, I go dairy-free sometimes. I find mashed egg-yolks and tallow satisfying. If you can tolerate clarified butter, aka ghee, that is helpful, too.

I always lose weight and feel better when I am off dairy.

Though I love ghee, I had the same symptoms (sinus) eating ghee..
I've tried to use it a few times.. Its a vicious cycle. I start using butter when I feel better again, then cream and tell myself ONLY those two things.. and before you know it... I'm eating cheese again. Its so addictive. I had
pretty bad depression Friday after being off it again for a few days. I feel a lot better today.. Dairy affects the opiate receptors like morphine, so I get drug withdrawals from it. I was never addicted to a drug but I have had drug withdrawals from wheat (gluten) that were worse than dairy. If I had to make a choice and wheat was healthy, I'd pick eating wheat over dairy.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
When shopping at Walmart the other day, I was amazed AGAIN, to see a HUGE variety of oils. Far more than anyother store. Grapesee oil. avocado oil, and the usual suspects. Sesame oil is also available sometimes. Not sure if ther is anything other than toasted versions. Maybe one of those will work for you.

I use chicken fat, duck fat, EVOO, Walnut oil and I will buy Macadamia nut oil which was recommended by Dr. Eades. I also use bacon fat. I haven't used beef fat since I have an intolerance to beef. I don't like avocados that much, I eat them but I'm not a big fan, so the oil doesn't appeal to me. Now I'm using Walnut oil on my salads.. its really delicious. light and good for the summer. I use a LOT of EVOO being Italian, and the low carb docs said its ok for use.. except frying.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 08:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Though I love ghee, I had the same symptoms (sinus) eating ghee..
I've tried to use it a few times.. Its a vicious cycle. I start using butter when I feel better again, then cream and tell myself ONLY those two things.. and before you know it... I'm eating cheese again. Its so addictive. I had
pretty bad depression Friday after being off it again for a few days. I feel a lot better today.. Dairy affects the opiate receptors like morphine, so I get drug withdrawals from it. I was never addicted to a drug but I have had drug withdrawals from wheat (gluten) that were worse than dairy. If I had to make a choice and wheat was healthy, I'd pick eating wheat over dairy.

I have found that I need to set an absolute rule and stick with it if I want good results. For me no eating dairy is one of those absolute rules. Of course for an absolute rule to work you have to be convinced that it is necessary and important. That can take some time to determine, not just intellectually but experientially. It has also helped me to stick to my limited diet by deciding that I eat to fuel and nourish my body not for entertainment. Eating then ceases to be anything I need to think about much and has become just something I do like brushing my teeth.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Perhaps it's lack of fat you were getting from the cheese?

Oh yes! I believe it was the lack of fat. My body only craves now protein and fat. I've been adding more and more animal fat to my cooking and over vegetables (evoo) and that is really helping a lot!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have found that I need to set an absolute rule and stick with it if I want good results. For me no eating dairy is one of those absolute rules. .

Oh yes you are completely right! My dairy problem is more of an intolerance than an allergy. I can eat it for a few months with no issues and then BAM all of a sudden I get sinus symptoms like an infection! So I have to admit it to myself that I DO have an intolerance and maybe even a mild allergy to it and stay off it.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201.2/195.2/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

This has been such an interesting read for me. I have been battling sinus issues for ages, and even lost most of my sense of smell because of them, which pains me greatly. It never occurred to me that there might be a link with dairy use. The thought of having to go dairy free is a frightening one for me, I would live on dairy if I could, but I may have to consider at least temporarily going without, just to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the food for thought!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 07:59

I also think I have the same allergy/intolerance to pork. I was fine last week, but this week I was cooking in bacon grease and adding it to my HM turkey sausage and today I have the same sinus symptoms! I'll have to remove it and see if that is the culprit. I'm not a big fan of pork, so I don't cook it other than bacon sometimes. That's how I can tell. If I introduce foods into my diet that I don't usually eat and then get symptoms I know its an allergy or intolerance.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaygirl
This has been such an interesting read for me. I have been battling sinus issues for ages, and even lost most of my sense of smell because of them, which pains me greatly. It never occurred to me that there might be a link with dairy use. The thought of having to go dairy free is a frightening one for me, I would live on dairy if I could, but I may have to consider at least temporarily going without, just to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the food for thought!

Hi,
Unfortunately the foods we love the most and crave the most are the ones that we are intolerant or allergic to. I love wheat and dairy. Wheat attacks my joints as does all other grains and dairy with the sinus symptoms. I read a lot of people went off dairy due to sinus symptoms thinking it was infections and then never got symptoms again, so I tried it and it was true.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 08:11

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Hi,
Unfortunately the foods we love the most and crave the most are the ones that we are intolerant or allergic to.

I have an allergy to the protein in dairy - it causes my muscles & joints to ache horribly. I suffered for years, but when I went low carb & was eliminating various foods, I finally figured it out. I can handle small amounts of butter, cream, & cheese, but if I go on a cheese binge, I suffer for it.

Almonds are similar - if I eat more than a few, my stomach hurts. Yet, as with cheese, I crave them.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 11:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Wow, you sound exactly like me, Bonnie! I get achy and sinuses start acting up. I had some ice cream the other day (yeah, I know...) and my muscles started spasming in my legs and back.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 04:35

I've been having hypoglycemia attacks since I went low carb! I can't cut my carbs really low. I thought the dizziness was from dairy because it was happening when I ate it. Its not from dairy. I just got another attack yesterday. Now IDK what WOE to follow? New thread coming