Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "'Hate Your Food' diet lets you eat as much as you want of what you don't want"

Thursday, April 01, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.

'Hate Your Food' diet lets you eat as much as you want of what you don't want

By Julia Sommerfeld, Seattle Times staff reporter

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...fooldiet01.html

Dig in! Enjoy as much as you like of this scrumptious squid and spinach salad, topped with lima beans and a wedge of liver patι — and garnished with a beautiful Brussels sprout. You won't gain an ounce. No fooling!

Adios, Atkins. Step aside, South Beach. Carbs are off the hook. A new diet craze is changing how and what Americans eat.

Seven weeks after hitting bookstore shelves, the best seller "Hate Your Food, Love Your Thighs" has established a new brand of weight-loss logic: Eat as much as you want, but only the foods you detest.

Devotees pile their plates high with once unpopular dishes such as liver, Brussels sprouts, tripe and tapioca — preferably all together. And, for the first time, many of them are no longer cleaning their plates.

Veteran dieter Ava Dupois had tried everything to shed her self-described "butt shelf." In the 1980s, she counted calories. In the '90s, she slashed fat grams. Last year, she banished all starches from her Issaquah rambler. But for every pound she lost, she eventually gained two.

She was skeptical when her husband gave her the book for Valentine's Day. "I saw the list of recommended foods in the table in the back of the book, and I thought there's no way I'm going to eat stuff like kidneys, salamanders and beets," she said. "Then I realized, that's the point!" She's since lost 48 pounds.

Word-of-mouth success stories such as Dupois' — plus sightings of newly svelte Anna Nicole Smith gagging on Cream of Wheat — have catapulted "Hate Your Food" to the No. 1 spot on The New York Times best-seller list, with 4 million copies flying off the shelves.

Publishers are scrambling to release knock-off book titles. Already climbing the charts is "The South U.K. Diet," which borrows from Britain's most reviled culinary contributions for suitably unpalatable recipes including black pudding (don't ask), lamb hearts and the curdled milky dessert known as junket.

Haggis Whopper on the menu

The popularity of gross-out diets forced T.G.I. Friday's and other restaurants to scrap their low-carb choices and retool their menus. Burger King now offers the Haggis Whopper, McDonald's has a junket sundae, and Subway boasts — what else? — a Vegemite sandwich.

The book's author, Dr. Skip Wainwright, a large-animal veterinarian from Yuma, Ariz., says he's not surprised by the book's skyrocketing popularity because his plan is a lifestyle, not a diet.

"I gave people one simple rule to live by: Foods you despise don't go to your thighs," he said. "It's a message that resonates."

The diet plan came about after Wainwright accidentally swapped his horse's favorite mix of carrots and apples for a bitter blend of chard and okra. To his surprise, the mare consumed less food and lost weight.

"It was like, Eureka! Why haven't we applied this to humans?" he explained on a recent "Dateline" special.

He conducted a two-week clinical trial with a grant from the Brussels Sprouts Growers Association. He asked six people to list their favorite and least-favorite foods and then locked them in isolation chambers. Half received an endless bounty of their favorite foods, including cake, French fries, nachos and Reese's peanut-butter cups; the other half received equal amounts of their least-desired foods including escargot (sans garlic and butter) and Spam.

He found that, on average, those in the first group gained 16 pounds over two weeks, while those in the second lost 11.

"It's a very individualized approach. If you hate asparagus, eat asparagus. If you are horrified by veal, bring it on," Wainwright said.

Three phases of weight loss

The book lays out the plan in three phases. The first 20 days are called the "induction phase," during which dieters can eat all they want, but only of the foods they really, really hate. This tricks the body's metabolism into a state called the "starvation zone," in which fat appears to melt like ice on a sunny day.

The next three months are the "ongoing weight-loss phase," where you still can eat all the foods you really, really hate, plus 10 grams each day of foods you only mildly dislike, like green peas and eggplant.

Finally, once you've reached your goal weight, you are in the "maintenance phase," in which you can treat yourself to 10 grams daily of foods you could take or leave, say, tofu or plain yogurt. "It's about shifting your mindset — food is not to be enjoyed, it is to be taken like foul-tasting medicine," Wainwright said.

The American Nutrition Association responded to the diet trend with a written statement: "It's healthy to consume gross foods in moderation, as part of a balanced diet."

Critics warn that people will regain the weight as soon as they stop following the diet. Wainwright dismisses the attack, responding, "I'm not telling them to go off the diet."

The mainstream medical community scoffs at the diet and asks, where's the hard science?

"I'll show you mine, if you show me yours," Wainwright retorted.

He's still waiting.

Julia Sommerfeld: 206-464-2708 or jsommerfeld~seattletimes.com. Happy April Fools' Day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:12
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

*giggle*

Good one. The idea of a plate filled with brussel sprouts, creamed spinach, meat loaf, chili, and lima beans (my top five most hated foods) turned my stomach enough to not want much of a lunch.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Foods you despise, won't go to your thighs. I like that.

Actually, there are so few foods I dislike, I doubt I could eat a diet I didn't like! Unless it would be the all lima bean diet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's or similar
Stats: 186/167/160 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%

I agree that I could lose weight on a diet like that. The amount of foods that I hate that will pass my lips is ZERO.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: no sugar/no flour/no tran
Stats: 172/145/140 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Boy, tastes sure differ. I could get along fine with a plate of "brussel sprouts, creamed spinach, meat loaf, chili, and lima beans."

They would probably have had to isolate each of those subjects!

Minna
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:41

Stats: 189/168/135
BF:
Progress: 39%

Me do think that the article is an April Fools joke

-elaine
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

This is a joke, right? It has to be a joke, right? PLEASE tell me it's a joke!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:03

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

yeah when I got to the part about a Haggis whopper, I know it was a joke. What's a haggis, anyway?

ha haaa, anway, this diet sounds like what Ornish and friends want us all to eat:

"It's about shifting your mindset — food is not to be enjoyed, it is to be taken like foul-tasting medicine,"
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 225/185/160 Female 5'3
BF:Too/Dayum/Much
Progress: 62%

Thats pretty nasty.... I think Ill stick with my current plan.

Dahlia
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:11

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

H A P P Y A P R I L F O O L' S D A Y !!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:22

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

"Veteran dieter Ava Dupois"

This is definitely an April Fool's joke. I love this play on words for avoirdupois though and I had a lovely chuckle since all of the foods mentioned as being particularly nasty I love. Including haggis (grandda is from Scotland).
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:34

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Liver pate (actually liver in any form), brussel sprouts, spinach, and meat loaf just so happen to be some of my favorite foods. I hate squid though.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:43

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Haggis.... I believe the concept is to start with the stomach of a sheep, then get some oatmeal... shall I go on?

I haven't tried it, but would if offered and it smelled good.

Cheers,

Friday
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 15:16

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Links to Haggis recipes - only for those with a strong stomach. FYI - 'lights' are kidneys.

http://www.smart.net/~tak/haggis.html#three

shortstuff
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 15:37

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

Haggis is delicious by the way. Don't be put off by the sheep's stomach, it's a lot like natural sausage casing except thicker. You don't usually eat it, or at least I don't .

All it is really is a sort of meaty stuffing. Depending on the recipe it can taste strongly or not of organ meat (liver/kidneys).

It's quite tasty

Last edited by Angeline : Thu, Apr-01-04 at 15:44.