Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 04:51
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

glad I didnt see it I think My foot would have gone throught the telly
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/202/140 Female 5ft 2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just as I suspected.
I think I have seen 3 or 4 programmes plus snippets in programmes of people "giving low carb the benefit of the doubt" only to totally screw it up.

They dont read enuff literature about it, they dont study a particular book, and I think half the time they are already overly conscious of the negative vibes from certain areas about low carbing to be open minded enuff to have the willpower to try it honestly.Which is a real shame.

Britain in particular has very little support for this way of eating, I know how much I relied on the internet for tips, recipes and general support when I first started. One basic such thing I picked up is the amount of water needed to be consumed to get maximum health and results from low carbing.

The last programme I saw was about a few weeks ago bout an hour long about low carbing and was presented by a bloke [sorry dunno name of programme or name of bloke or err which channel I kinda stumbled on it! ] and it looked at how celebs had picked up on this "diet" what it involved and also had an overweight lassie going to try it. Well she tried it but found the first week hell with the sugar/caffeine withdrawel,missed her cereal too much and didnt like eating constant grease and fat! Like you have to eat bacon dripping in fat everyday cos the book tells you Arf.
She was losing weight to do a fitness test for the police....anyone see that one? It did have good bits in it such as a woman expressing how this way of eating helped PCOS so much she became regular naturally and conceived...however they left you wanting more info...

I would love it if someone out there somewhere has the knowhow to present and direct a programme properly including all there is about low carb...any media students?

o dear rambled on enuff but I finish with knowing that this way of life aint for everybody and effects people differently, just wish information was better expressed.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:44
Yo-Yo

I saw that programme and I quite enjoyed it, it wasnt an attack on Atkins and gave a good insight!!!
The girl was annoying thought she went in with a poor attitude and failed baecause of it, I was ill in my first couple of weeks but I persvered and I am so glad I did, my god she has been lucky to be selcted to join the police force, if she wants that job bad enough she must do something about it exept einge on telly about hard things are!!
Sorry I did feel sorry for her at first but then i watched it again and thought nah, get a grip!!
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 10:23

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I too thought the programme was an absolute farce, scripted probably by the
wheat industry

None of the "subjects" had the right idea. For instance, I didn't hear any of them mention the amount of vegetables they were eating. And even the woman who successfully lost proposed to "stay on the diet for another month to lose another 10 pounds". Absolutely no indication here that she'd read the book, since she proposed to treat it as a quick weight loss diet rather than a WoE for life.

As for "Maurice", heaven forfend that I should ever have to visit a Doctor as stupid as he is Not only did he refuse to read the book, he cheated outrageously, including 12 chocolate biscuits in one go not to mention all the booze he confessed to, but then had the cheek to insist that his stomach problems were caused by Atkins
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 10:34
Yo-Yo

eeh it sounds like a mockery I widh I had seen it, buth then again I would have probably lost my rag!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 11:11

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I liked your email, LittleAnne - much more balanced than mine

I did think of including in my email a blow-by-blow destruction of all the faults in the programme which would have made a long email but decided a full frontal attack was the best way to get their attention - so I'm glad yours added a little more detail and also made some of the same points as mine.

Go team!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 05:43

Stats: 232/219.4/210 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:

I, too, thought this program was a complete load of bull! I think someone already mentioned it, but not one of those doctors seemed to be eating vegetables at all! Before Atkins, I thought corn counted as a vegetable. I have to say that since starting this program, I've eaten more veggies - like spinach, cauliflower, brocolli, etc - on a regular basis than usual.

And of course, we've all noticed how pathetic that one doctor looked when he said the Atkins book was too long to read at 400-some pages. Here's a question - what did he have to read to become a doctor? Medicine for Dummies? Pa-leaze!

Good on those of you who sent emails to the BBC. I have a feeling if I did, it would be too rude to be taken seriously.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:02

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK
I
Good on those of you who sent emails to the BBC. I have a feeling if I did, it would be too rude to be taken seriously.

LOL - have you read my email?? Ruder than that?!? LOL

Actually, the more emails they get along that line the more they are likely to take notice. We are their "customers" after all ...

#54   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:23

Stats: 232/219.4/210 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:

Good point!