Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:16

Plan: CKD (Modified)
Stats: 27%/22%/15% Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Unhappy Calorie Reduction on CAD/CALP - Starvation mode??

Good morning.

I would like to address a concern I have regarding CAD and or CALP way of eating.
I just started this diet 5 days ago and came over from being on Atkins for some time (after being stuck for too long at the same weight and than gaining weight on Atkins I decided to try something else).

I started a journal in the A – section under 222*2’s journal if anyone can stop by and see what they think.

My main concern is the low calorie intake on this diet. May be it is just me and I do understand that we are not really to count calories and anything else. But the fact is if we eat around 1000 calories a day, of course we will lose weight, but only from calorie reduction and we will enter starvation mode, which is what I am desperately trying to avoid.

I don’t seem to be hungry to eat as much as I did on atkins, which is a great thing, but eating this little is not good.

Does anyone else have similar concerns?
Has anyone checked to make sure they eat above the minimum recomended 1200 calories?

I did look over a bunch of journals of those who are doing CAD and or CALP, but is is hard to tell their caloric intake. In some it does look like they are not eating enough at all.

May be I am reading things wrong, please correct me if I am just not getting right portions or something.

Thank you to anyone who will take their time to post a reply or thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

A lot of CADers don't put amounts down on their food. Some of us don't want to scare others away! Believe me, we eat over 1200 calories a day. Generally we eat approximately 12 ounces of cooked protein a day which is about 1200 calories right there. Given what we eat for RM, I would think it amounts to at least 1600 calories a day minimum.

Some days you have less appetite, some days more but CAD is not near starvation levels.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:08

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I agree

I actually chuckled at this question. If you could see me eat my RM, you wouldn't have to worry

I don't count calories at all and really have never added up what a day would be, but I'm sure it is probably well over 1500 a day on average for me.

CAD is a wonderful program if it is right for you. I am really glad it works for me

Tracy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/152.2/114 Female 4'10"
BF:50/42/24%
Progress: 51%
Default What happens to you in starvation mode?

I sometimes don't eat over 1000 calories because i am not hungry. I don't skip meals. I just don't eat snacks. Am I not losing because I don't eat the 1700 calories I am supposed to? This starvation mode question is bothering me. What is it doing to my diet (atkins)? How do I counteract it and how long will it take to get back on track?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:38
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Your body shuts down your metabolism in starvation mode and holds on to fat. Further any time it gets sufficient calories it will convert them to fat first. It thinks it's fighting for your survival.

The process can be reverse by eating sufficient amounts of food but you must also expect to gain weight while your body is healing and learning to trust that sufficient food will be there in the future.

This retrusting phase can be short or long depending how often it's occurred in the past. You have to go through it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:50

BF:

Good morning. Thank you all for the notes, I guess if some one said that on Atkins they lose because of reduction of calories I would say no way, I never ate that much in my life.
I will try to eat more fat with my protein and hope things go well.
Yesterday I messed up badly, so that should keep me out of starvation mode.

Does anyone have any idea how many days does it take of eating low calorie to start getting into starvation mode, is it one day, 3 days, 2 weeks, anyone want to make an educated guess?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:59

BF:

Another question,
it was stated above that 12 oz of protein is 1200 calories or so, but when I calculate mine I only get much less calories, I do eat lean proteins, so may be that is the difference:
12 oz of chicken breast lean no fat added when prepared – broiled – that is how I like mine done = 510 calories

12 oz tuna – no extra fat added = 360 calories

same for venison meat and other meats I eat.

Am I doing this all wrong? Please advise.
Thank you for you time.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet-NO Meat or Poultry
Stats: 208/225/205 Female 66 inches
BF:~40%
Progress: -567%

Hello 222.2

I am reading posts and came across yours. Neither CAD of CALP are low calorie diets. LC stands for low carb not low calorie. This is just for your information. The books have sample menus, if you want to calculate the calorie intake.

I know for a fact that I never eat less than 1000 calories a day. I agree that is not a healthy choice.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

gowe
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:27
Finding the Pieces

BF:

You are probably calculating correctly. I tend to eat fattier, heavier meats like steaks, chops, and fatty fish. I would just suggest you eat what you eat and try to have a little more fat. You can also add up to 4 oz. more protein.

It would take more than a few weeks for your body to go into starvation mode. Also, if you're getting adequate protein levels along with adequate good fats your might never get there because you'll get sufficient nutrients. Some nutritionists argue that it's the lack of nutrients in the lower calorie level and not the low calories themselves that lead to starvation mode.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:08

BF:
Default Thank you for the posts

Thank you for the responses.

gowe, if I gave the impression that I thought that LC meant low calorie, I am sorry. I have been Lcing Low Carbing for a long time now and do understand that it is not Low calorie. I just recently switched to CAD from another Low Carb Plan and am trying to get things moving again.

My low calorie concern was out of how I felt a lot of huger suppression and from not realizing that the journals do not post portions and therefore appeared to me as low calorie.
I do appreciate your note.

Zuleikaa, thank you for explaining that to me, I will try to eat more fat or just throw in some more protein. I think I am really starting to like this (besides messing up yesterday some) I definitely will continue trying to do well.

I wore my pants today and they felt a little bit not as tight, may be it is in my head, but we will see on Sunday.

Thanks again for everyone’s help and support!

Very nice day to all.