Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 05:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default 380lb food addict sheds 200lbs on a strict low-carb, high-fat diet

Quote:
380lb food addict sheds 200lbs on a strict low-carb, high-fat diet, denying himself ANY 'cheat meals' over fears they will fuel his addiction

Nathan Wharton, 36, from Tampa, Florida, went from 380lbs to 185lbs in a little over a year after starting a ketogenic diet in January 2016

The weight-loss winner insisted that he can't allow himself any 'cheat meals' because he has no self-control and is likely to fall back into unhealthy patterns

Nathan's wife Heather has also been following the low-carb, high-fat diet, and together they have shed a combined total of nearly 400lbs

A 380lb food addict has shed more than half of his body weight following a low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diet for the past 16 months — without allowing himself any 'cheat meals'.

Nathan Wharton, 36, from Tampa, Florida, went from 380lbs to 185lbs in a little over a year after starting his weight loss journey in January 2016.

The weight-loss winner has been tracking his progress on Instagram with a series of before and after photos, and in early May, he celebrated his 16 months of success with a candid post about his journey with food addiction.

'I have abstained from my addiction for 16 months,' he wrote. 'I don't allow myself to have cheat meals because for me 1 cheat meal becomes a cheat day, a cheat week and a cheat year.

'Becoming aware of my addiction and how to abstain from it with keto has been life changing.'

Nathan admitted that there are days that it is difficult for him to not give into the temptations that surround him, but he ultimately resists, explaining: 'Giving in to my cravings would reinforce my unhealthy relationship with food.'

Instead of indulging, and putting himself on a path of self-destruction, Nathan said he tells himself that he is able to resist because he will no longer allow food to control his life.

'It is not willpower that drives me but the lack of willpower,' he explained. 'I have no self-control and moderation does not exist for me.'

Nathan noted that he will have to keep 'boundaries' with his food for the rest of his life, but he insisted that if he could do it, others can too.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-carb-diet.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 06:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oh my, those photos are amazing. And all LCHF with some exercise...though that is rapid weight loss.
Wonder how this guy from Tampa ended up in the Daily Mail? Thanks for posting...it also has photos from Pippa's wedding.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-21-17 at 02:58.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 07:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

If he lost 200 pounds and he and his wife together lost 400 pounds then her story must be pretty remarkable too! Wonder why no more details, or photos, on her?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 07:35

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Wonder how this guy from Tampa ended up in the Daily Mail? But thanks for posting...it also has photos from Pippa's wedding
They look amazing! All of them, Pippa too!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 08:02
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
If he lost 200 pounds and he and his wife together lost 400 pounds then her story must be pretty remarkable too! Wonder why no more details, or photos, on her?

Scroll down further. ☺️
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/190/150 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was wondering this too!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 10:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Amazing story, I have found the loose skin doesn't really snap back over time either

looks like those dogs need a low-carb diet as well. Mine are both in superb condition, on a prey-based mostly meat, fish and egg diet with some grain-free kibble for balance.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 11:52
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Amazing story, I have found the loose skin doesn't really snap back over time either

I think this a highly individual thing. I lost more weight than Nathan did and by the photos it appears that we started off with about the same shape. He is quite a bit younger than me and by all rights I should have been the one with more of an issue with loose skin. I do have loose skin, but lucky for me it is not at the same level as Nathan's (referring to the belly photo). He did lose at a faster rate. I averaged about 8 pounds per month start to finish. Perhaps that had something to do with it. Perhaps Nathan's will get better with more time to recover.

I've been in maintenance mode for a year now and I have noticed a slight improvement over time. I don't think it will ever bounce totally back. Frankly, I'm surprised that it bounced back as much as it did. My original goal weight was set at the obesity cutoff for my gender and height. I've been floating around in the 'overweight' category since reaching that. I've decided that I want to do better so I'm making a serious effort to get back into weight loss mode. I'd like to get to the lower 180's - closer to being within my normal BMI. Only time will tell if this will help or hinder my loose skin issues.

About the article... That is a wonderful success story. I'm happy that it was a low carb success story, too - and not an WLS success story. That story was also a little deja vu for me. It is amazing to me how us 'biggest losers' types always seem to use the same words to describe our plight. We share so many common issues. One phrase that I'm not comfortable with is "FOOD ADDICT". A health professional referred to my situation with that language 10 or 12 years ago and I was quite offended by it. My thoughts then was that "food is essential to life, so isn't everyone a food addict?" My current thoughts on that phrase are that I was an addict (and perhaps I still am), but it was sugar and processed carbs that were the source of my problems. It wasn't all food. When I eat the right food, namely meat, full fat dairy, and lower carb whole foods, I am not compelled to overeat. Eating the wrong foods (carb laden processed crap) is what made me hungry for more, more, more.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 12:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good story and one that is important to be shared. Yes, I'm glad his success is attributable to low carb, as I'm prejudiced that low carb is the healthiest and most sustainable approach. It's the only approach I've tried that works initially and over the long term while eating to appetite at every meal.

Agree with Ken that a more appropriate description is Carb Addict rather than food addict. I am a recovered carb addict. I still love food!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 20:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Scroll down further. ☺️
Haha, I first read this on my phone and there was *nothing* there about his wife or any photos of her. Now I read it on my laptop and the article is twice as long, with plenty more photos of him, as well as all the photos of his wife - none of which were there when I read the article on my phone! Good for them, and good that a low carb diet is actually being given credit.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 20:30

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I think this a highly individual thing. I lost more weight than Nathan did and by the photos it appears that we started off with about the same shape. He is quite a bit younger than me and by all rights I should have been the one with more of an issue with loose skin. I do have loose skin, but lucky for me it is not at the same level as Nathan's (referring to the belly photo). He did lose at a faster rate. I averaged about 8 pounds per month start to finish. Perhaps that had something to do with it. Perhaps Nathan's will get better with more time to recover.

I've been in maintenance mode for a year now and I have noticed a slight improvement over time. I don't think it will ever bounce totally back. Frankly, I'm surprised that it bounced back as much as it did.

Nathan is a similar age to me (I'm 38), and I'd consider myself towards the luckier end of the spectrum as far as loose skin is concerned. But on the other hand, he's lost considerably more weight than I have over a similar time period.

I'd agree with Ken, perhaps it's as much about the rate of loss as much as it's about age. With any luck, he'll be looking even better in another 12 months time.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 03:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you link to his Instagram account, that links to his Blog, sub-titled: Using a ketogenic diet as abstinence for food addiction.
I agree with Ken's comment about food addiction, but he is doing everything right, and I bet that loose skin will continue to be reduced.

He has Phinney and Westman quotes on his Instagram. One right on the first page is from Dr Westman's new Ask Adapt video on Conflicting Advice about Fat Consumption. https://www.instagram.com/p/BTVP7VN...en-by=keto_fuel
Do not overconsume oil and butter. Don't Force the Fat. Or any way to say this over and over. You cannot set a "macro" for fat...that is Eat to satiety and no more if weight loss is the goal.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-21-17 at 05:48.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 05:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Do not overconsume oil and butter. Don't Force the Fat. Or any way to say this over and over. You cannot set a "macro" for fat...that is Eat to satiety and no more IF you want to lose weight.

Since satiety is a topic in another thread I thought I would just chime in here too. Eating to satiety is great as long as it works for you but it doesn't work for me and I'm not the only one. I don't get that signal that says stop eating so I use a form of portion control along with carb counting. Every time someone says it's easy, "just eat until your full, I want to say "but".

Jean
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 06:14

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Too true Jean, I need something to judge by in order to apply consciousness. No off button.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 06:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've read in several places about a theory that loose skin can also mean we need to lose more fat. This is where going by the scale is misleading.

As discussed in this testimonial:

Lost the fat and the loose skin

I know there was a discussion on Mark's Daily Apple forum along the same lines...

It makes sense to me that the same metabolic "derangement" that put the fat on us can also need time to "heal" and our journey is not done until all the excess fat is lost. It seems counter-intutive, but what let us lose the weight might only be the first step: next comes getting the body properly rearranged at the right weight.

I have read extensively about people who have WLS, and I have yet to read an account of someone who got "all the way down." Because this procedure does nothing for their emotional state, and can actually worsen it, and because hunger signals return after a year, and because they often eat in an even more disordered way after such radical surgery; these people are happy and grateful with whatever they can lose. And so, while they "only" are fifty pounds away from goal or whatever, they cannot eat in a way that lets them lose down to where they need to be.

Imagine our own struggles in this area, and then imagine we can only eat a tiny amount, with all kinds of nausea and bathroom issues... and it is no wonder that, as I often say, I would do better if you gave me a year and let me put people in "low carb jail."