Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 13:30

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 248/223/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello..need real advice and a buddy!!

Hey everybody..hope the holidays are treating everyone well. This is my first post and I'm not really sure how to start. I am 29 years old and have battled with my weight since about the age of five. Ya know how the story goes.... Anyway I am 5'4" and currently weigh 227 lbs. I have been trying to follow Atkins on and off for a few months but I think I am ready to get serious and I can't do it alone. I work full time and am a second year law student. I like to spend some time with family and friends too and so to say the least my life is hectic! It is busy but good and that's why I need to get serious about this losing weight stuff. I wanna be around for a long time (just on the off chance that I will meet my Mr. Right, ha, ha). Seriously, I was diagnosed as insulin resistant a little over a year ago and there is a family history of diabetes. I don't want to go down that road.

So, what I am looking for are some quick, easy and good on-the-go low carb meals that I can fit into my schedule. I really don't have time to cook alot of the meals that I have seen posted (On alot of days I leave the house at 8:00 a.m. and am not back till 9:30p.m., am not cooking!!) AND if anybody would like to share in the struggle and would like to chat please let me know.

Much appreciated

P.S. Anyone here a Boston Bruins fan??? If the game last nite against Toronto doesn't push us to ice cream nothing will!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 16:33

Plan: no specific
Stats: 155/149/120
BF:
Progress:

LOL! Yup - BIG B's fan here! Wonder if they'll ever score against Toronto. Frankly I was thinking booze over ice cream after that game!
You in Mass? I'm on the Cape.
I too can sympathize with needing to eat "on the go". So many of the recipes I read here look positively fantastic but I can't imagine having the time. I'm going to try some that look extra yummy tho on a day off and maybe have leftovers for a couple days!

I wish you all the luck!
Diane
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 16:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default WELCOME DIANE !!

It sure sounds like you're on the run all the time !! I've solved my food problems by cooking up meats ahead of time--- Turkey breast or chicken , a small pork roast, and make up hamburger patties ahead and freeze so I can take them out one at a time. Always something there to eat-- you can warm it up while undressing or whatever--- no lost time!! Salad fixings can also be washed, cut and ready in Plastic bowls--- keep excellent at least 3 days. Maybe someone will pop in with some "go" food
I could be your Buddy--- don't have one yet--- But I'm new too so don't have alot of answers but I have alot of encouragement for anyone that needs it!!!
Ellie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 16:53

BF:
Default EGEM !!! PUT THE WRONG NAME !!!

Put the wrong name on last post----- answering you egem
But Diane--- the Buddy invite is an open invitation !!
Ellie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/165/145
BF:
Progress: 71%
Smile

Hi , My name's Denise and I really understand where your coming from. I'm married, have a 15 yr old son (feel sorry for me yet?) ha ha. And I work pretty much full time also. This is the first time I've been to a forum so I'm pretty new to this posting thing, but I've been on the Atkins diet since 1-8-01 so I'm pretty familiar with low carbing. Well, I'd like very much to be your buddy so hope to hear from you. bye.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 09:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hi egem

welcome here! One meal that may be easy for U to have is when U have had chicken. cut up a bunch of pieces throw in a container, add lots of mayo and some lettuce and any other veggies U may want. U can take that along with U to work and its very filling. I am in maintaince now for about 3 months so if U have any questions U can email me directly if U like. gwilson38~yahoo.com
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 08:14

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 248/223/150
BF:
Progress:

Hey Denise, Ellie and Diane...thank you so much for responding to my message. I really appreciate the support. I tried to private message each of you but it wouldn't let me for some reason so if you want to send your e-mails to me that's fine egem72~yahoo.com , if not that's o.k. too we'll chat through this thread! Hope everybody is doing o.k.
thanks again!

P.S. Hey Diane...how about that overtime loss??
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 08:44

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Diane- Cape Cod

Hi Diane,

I read that you are on the Cape. Most of my family lives in Yarmouthport and So. Yarmouth. I am up there all the time. I was there for Thanksgiving week, and I had such a hard time holding back my urge to go to my favorite restaurant (Captain Parkers) for their awesome Clam Chowder. I love chowder and need to figure out a way to make a low carb version of it.
I guess if you just leave out the potatoes and make it with heavy cream, butter and clams, it might be alright.
Oh well- lets keep in touch. What part of the Cape are you from?

Kassy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/low sodium/no sugar!
Stats: 155/140/130
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default WELCOME!

Welcome egem:

I've been on the Atkins plan since August of this year, and like other people have struggled with food all my life. While I have been experiencing success with the Atkins plan, I can identify with having a hectic livestyle that leaves little time to prepare meals that take longer than 5-10 minutes! I have found what I think is a solution. I prepare all the meals in advance. Vegetables are sliced and placed in tupperware, as is my main protein source, chicken. My favorite recipe is boneless chicken breast sliced thin, prepared in unsalted butter in the fry pan, with cilantro added during the middle of cooking. Takes minutes to prepare, and heats up easily. I remind myself when I don't feel like cooking, chopping, or cleaning up, how miserable I felt before I found Atkins. So at those times, I pop a CD in, turn up the volume a bit, and away I go!

Jan

#10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 15:05

BF:
Default HEY KASSY !!!

The chowder idea sounds like that could work !!! Consider replacing the potatoes with cauliflower--- I'm really surprised how much they taste like potatoes!! Let us know if you try making it and how it turns out. Maybe post it in locarb tips or something where we'll spot it easier!! It's a great idea
Ellie