Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 02:12
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Help on supplements..

Hello,

This thread is for those who work out and know about supplements such as protein, etc. I recently started going to the gym 4-5 times per week. I know its working because every morning I wake up extremely sore. I spend about 2 hours working on triceps, biceps, chest, back, shoulders and abs. I want to start taking some protein to help me gain muscle faster and help out with my workout. What would be a good choice to go with. I am not looking to spend $60 for protein. I also heard Methoxy Pro is really good. I dont know if I should take it since I am not over the age of 18. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 04:44

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Protein

A protein supplement is definately something you should look into. If you are weigh training, some extra protein is definately reccomended.

2 hours?! Per workout, per day? That's too much. Workouts should never exceed 1 hour. If they do, you are doing a repetitive motion (exercises that work the same muscle group, from the same position/angle) or you are talking/wasting time.

It has been proven that after 60 - 90 minutes of weight training, the body's ratio of testosterone to cortisol tips in favor of cortisol ... which is BAD. Cortisol breaks down muscle, and if your testosterone levels are low, you are NOT anabolic and you won't add muscle.

Done properly, and with the right weight, workouts normally should hit at about 45 minutes.

There are exceptions to the rule: powerlifters take about 5 to 10 minutes rest between sets, so the workouts run longer ... also the pro bodybuilders you see in magazines who claim to work out for 2 hours are, um, making sure that they tip the testosteone ration back in their favor by taking, um, outside sources of testosterone.

About protein, MethoxyPro is overpriced and a waste. It does not contain an effective dose of methoyisoflavone to do anything. So it basically is an overpriced protein.

Protein Factory (website) sells protein cheap. Taste is supposed to be good too. Supplementdirect.com is another, although their whey protein is unflavored and I don't like the taste.

Some people swear by specific proteins, and it will be up to you to find which works for you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

The reason my workouts take up to 2 hours is because I go with 2 other people. We do a set of 15 and switch off on the machine. That way we have time to rest while the other guy gets their sets it. We usually so 4 sets of 15.

Yea, a lot of people reccomended that I start taking some protein supplements. Can you give me a good brand or type of protein to go with? Do they all show the same proformance?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 02:31
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Trainerdan: Where are you?! I am waiting for your answer. I really want to get some protein but don't know which one. I know I need whey protein because I am starting out.

I went to GNC and the told me Pro Complex 100% whey protein is high quality. 4lbs is $37. That is kind of pricey. Is proteinfactory.com whey protein any good? Does it work the same? I see there are different kinds of whey proteins at the site. Which one do I need? Help!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 125/115/118120
BF:
Progress:

These are my suggestions on protein supplements:

Prolab
Muscletech
Designer Protein

Chocolate and Vanilla are my favorite flavors and they also make great smoothies!

Protein bars are also a good investment, I buy a box every month! They're easy to carry around!

Susie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-01, 01:43
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Those all look good but theyre like $37 every 4lbs. proteinfactory.com can make custom blends for $5.48 per pound. I was thinking of getting this..

60% WPC
20% EGG
10% CFM
10% hydrolyzed 1400

That is a better mix than Pro Complex. I am not sure about it though. The guy asures me it is high quality protein. The reason I dont want to go to GNS is because both me and my brother will be drinking the protein shakes so the serving time wont last as long. 4lbs is about 3-4 weeks so its 1-2 for each of us.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-01, 05:26

Default hey

Sorry ... I was away for the weekend out of town.

Protein Factory is high quality, and as you can see they are VERY cheap.

you have a good formula there ... I haven't been to the site in a while, but I would go with a whey/egg/casein blend if they have such a thing. That will give you the best of everything.

If not, you have developed a good formula.

I can't reallt "talk" long right now ... I need to get to work!!!

More later ...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-01, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I can make my own with whey, egg, and casein. I dont know what percentage though. Make you could whip up something for me? I might just order 3-4lbs of that formula on top. Its for me and my bro so servings will last half the time..
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-01, 15:42

Default good to go

It's a good mix you have there ... I was just being picky.

Let me know how it goes.

Also, had soreness started to subside?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-01, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hey there,

I am going to order it tonight. 1.5lbs vinilla with splenda and 1.5lbs banana with splenda. Do you know if their banana is any good? I hope it is!

The soreness is still strong. It tells me its working. Its still strong cause I'm still working out parts I havent done. Yesterday was the frist day I've done sholders and today theyre sore.

I am starting to work out my calves. Ive always wanted big calves.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-01, 17:12

Default I'm in ...

I'm ordering 5 lbs. of banana protein from them tomorrow.

I am going 70% CFM whey, 10% caseinate, and 10% flax powder (gotta get those EFA's in) ... I am also having them add 5g of creatine per serving ...

I am coming up on "muscle season" and it's time to get hardcore.

Soreness will subside. My chest was sore for 4 days after my last chest workout (just changed to going heavier, 5 sets of 5 on major moves, 3 sets of 5 of minor moves, 1 triceps move for 3 sets of 5, then doing one set of pushups until I drop)

Fun fun fun .... Maybe someday the chest will grow .. LOL

Keep us posted man.