Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-01, 18:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
hi everybody,

This recipe is loosely based on one from Mollie Katzen's "Moosewood Cookbook". It's meant to be served on a bed of rice, or rice noodles. I just eat it as is, but I imagine you could use shredded spaghetti squash. This reheats well, in fact, I think it tastes even better the second time around - the flavours get a chance to "mingle".

Spicy Pork, Tofu and Eggplant Stir-fry with Cashews

1/2 cup raw cashews
350 gm lean, boneless pork loin, cut into thin strips
350 gm pkg extra-firm tofu, cut into thin strips
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into thin strips (should have about 6 cups)
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
3 Tbsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp brown SugarTwin
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1/2 to 1 tsp dried red chili flakes
3 Tbsp peanut oil
chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

- in a small bowl, mix together tamari, sherry, cider vinegar, brown SugarTwin, sesame oil and chili flakes. Set aside.
- stir & toast cashews over medium heat in a dry wok, set aside.
- heat 1 Tbsp peanut oil in wok, stir-fry pork strips, remove and set aside. Heat another Tbsp peanut oil, stir-fry the tofu strips, remove and set aside with cooked pork strips.
- heat remaining Tbsp peanut oil, stir-fry sliced onion for 30 seconds, add sweet red pepper strips, stir-fry for additional 30 seconds. Add eggpant strips, stir-fry for 7 or 8 min, till eggplant is soft. Add minced garlic and grated ginger, cook for another minute or two.
- add the cooked pork and tofu strips, and pour over the tamari-sherry mixture. Stir gently to mix, and cook for a couple minutes more.
- serve garnished with toasted cashews and chopped cilantro.
- 6 servings

total carbs - 72 for recipe, 12 per serving
fiber - 29.5 for recipe, 5 per serving
effective carbs = 42 gm for recipe, 7 gm per serving

Enjoy!

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-01, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Yum!

Wowee, Doreen, does that ever sound good!

OK, here's my very plebian response. One thing I miss on this WOL is hot dogs, which don't taste right to me without the bun. One or two a year will do me, but I didn't get my 'fix' this summer, and with all the hot dog vendors on the beach just a block away, I've been feeling deprived. So here's my latest 'discovery':

"Corn" Dogs:

In a bowl, gloop together 3 tbsp soy flour, 1/2 tsp salt, spices to taste (I used chili powder and cayenne), 1 egg, and enough cream or water to make a medium-thick paste. Dip some hot dogs in this gloop. Place in hot oil in pan and spoon any remaining gloop on top. Fry. They come out kind of square instead of round, but who cares? You could probably also deep fry them. I ate mine with a mayo/mustard dip and a few fried onions on the side. They are about 3 carbs each, depending on the brand of hot dog and how much batter you use on each.

End of deprivation.

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-01, 11:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking sounds interesting Rachel

Now that I've read it through a few times, I think I could get into this. I really like sausages with my local store's in-house fresh Italian sausages heading the list. I like to squeeze the meat out of the casing, and either leave it tube-shaped, or press flat into a patty that will fit on a split Revolution Roll. But your batter recipe would probably work very nicely to coat these babies (pre-cooked though)

**Shameless plug here - do try a batch of my version of Atkins rolls, in the Recipe column - uses soy flour and vital wheat gluten to produce a less soggy roll. On this very subject, I made a batch of these this morning to test, and one recipe yielded 4 very nice long hotdog type buns. I just might have to get some sauerkraut and Grey Poupon now, and grated cheese. Major salt-fest, but hey, at least I'm staying away from the potato salad!!

take care,

Doreen