Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 16:49

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Boxing anyone?

Hi,
Does anyone here incorporate boxing into your fitness routine?

I'm having some knee issues so have had to back off on eliptical, treadmill and bikes. There is a boxing bag at the gym I go to and today I decided to try it. I LOVED it! There is an older guy there that gave me a few pointers to get me started but I'd like to learn more about developing a routine.

Does anyone have any sources to point me to or any advice? (I did a google but didn't find much for starting routines for women to do with a bag.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-09, 05:52

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Just try and do boxing "rounds." Go hard and fast for a minute, rest for a minute, etc. Try and do that for about 10 mins. As you get fitter up the intensity or shorten the rest periods.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-09, 09:03

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I've been boxing for 11 years. I love it. I was trained to start with "bursts". I do a heavy 3 minutes, then light for about 10 minutes. Then, as I built strength and stamina, I up the burst times and shorten the light times. now, I'm doing a heavy 30 minutes or so with a only a short light time in between. My trainer said 30 minutes heavy is about the limit you want to go.

As your knee heals, you can add jump-roping to the cardio part. it's very good training.

I you have a YMCA, they usually have boxing classes or clubs. That would be a very good place to start, or at least talk with the trainers there for suggestions.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 22:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Just try and do boxing "rounds." Go hard and fast for a minute, rest for a minute, etc. Try and do that for about 10 mins. As you get fitter up the intensity or shorten the rest periods.

Thanks AlienBug....that's what the guy at the gym said too. He also said to alternate between 3 positions (upper cut, straight (hook?), and then one with my hands up about head level).
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 22:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1231
I've been boxing for 11 years. I love it. I was trained to start with "bursts". I do a heavy 3 minutes, then light for about 10 minutes. Then, as I built strength and stamina, I up the burst times and shorten the light times. now, I'm doing a heavy 30 minutes or so with a only a short light time in between. My trainer said 30 minutes heavy is about the limit you want to go.

As your knee heals, you can add jump-roping to the cardio part. it's very good training.

I you have a YMCA, they usually have boxing classes or clubs. That would be a very good place to start, or at least talk with the trainers there for suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas, Ann1231. Wow. 30 minutes. I was lucky to do 1 minute intervals with the last 10 seconds of each minute being a full out box. I'll get there though. I really did enjoy it.

I bought some liner gloves yesterday and I'm going to ask if there is a trainer with boxing expertise/experience when I go in tomorrow.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 05:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
Thanks for the ideas, Ann1231. Wow. 30 minutes. I was lucky to do 1 minute intervals with the last 10 seconds of each minute being a full out box. I'll get there though. I really did enjoy it.

I bought some liner gloves yesterday and I'm going to ask if there is a trainer with boxing expertise/experience when I go in tomorrow.

30 min. seems excessive, esp. if you are also hitting the weights, which you should be.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 15:22

BF:

yup-I lift 2-3 days a week. Heavy.

I really have to force myself to do cardio - I just get so bored with it. When I'm highly motivated, I slip in a few lap swimming sessions or aqua aerobic classes on non-lifting days.

I'm really hanging out for the water to warm up enough to get back into boogie boarding! I tried it 2 years ago and fell in love with it - such a rush.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
I really have to force myself to do cardio - I just get so bored with it.

That's how your body tells you that cardio is stupid!

10 minutes hard & fast after lifting. Don't let the masochists convince you that endless death marches are necessary, or healthy.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 16:21

BF:

OH MAN! I am loving this boxing business!

Today's workout:
2 sets of 12 (8 lifts) plus 3 1/2 of my boxing 'rounds' (1 minute boxing, 30-60 second rest x 3 different positions). I was just too buggered to finish the 4th round. Followed it up with 5 minutes of cool down on the bike and I was out of there! So much more fun than long slow boring cardio on a machine.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 23:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 382/382/225 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:

i LOVE it. I too haven't really consulted a real routine guideline, but I usually do 100 or 150 jabs at a steady pace, then I just switch to the other arm. Probably a terrible way to train for actually boxing, lol, as I'm switching stance, but it feels great. By the end of each set of jabs I can barely hold my arm up. After a couple sets with each arm ( usually with a break between ) I do some jab cross combos and that really wears me out. I also use the speed bag and really enjoy that. I'm still pretty clunky with it but I'm getting better rhythm and its a lot of fun.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/255/200 Male 5 feet 11 inch
BF:
Progress: 27%

Boxing or just hitting the heavy bag is a great and fun cardio workout...i like it because i feel i put more passion and determination into my work out and i go harder cause i let all my anger and frustrations out...Make sure to keep your feet and arms moving it will keep the heart rate up! 2 more things buy a cheap jump rope and start to jump rope awsome cardio. Last dont hit the bag every single day you have tons of tiny bones in your hands a bruise can lead to a break...

I do MMA so the MMA glove dont protect as much as boxing glove so i hit the bag about 3 times a week to let my hands n wrist recoup
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 00:03

BF:

Has anyone had problems with blisters from boxing?

I had a couple blisters on my knuckles in the beginning but they healed up. Now today, I have 3 more....one over each of my middle fingers and another on on the left hand pinkie knuckle. OUCH!

I'm wearing cotton liner gloves inside the boxing gloves.

Ideas?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 21:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Bag + Bas Rutten training cds there is boxing, MMA and Thai Boxing, he tells you what to do, its an amazing workout in itself.

7 rounds of 3 minutes and 10 rounds of 2 minutes 1 minute break between each rounds.

Has for boxing class they are great too, because you do it with other people and that keeps motivation high