Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-14, 14:54

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

I made this last night and had 1cup. I still was not hungry this morning! This is amazing. Going to definitely make this on our trip in October. MMMMM
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 20:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I finally got around to making this tonight, and it was really good.

I find it has built in portion control because it takes me a while to munch through all that cabbage. If it was made with something resembling soft noodles or rice, I'd probably scarf it in 3 minutes.

I noticed the crackslaw.com website is gone. It redirects to a page from whom I assume was the original owner. http://victoriahaneveer.com/recipes...ssic-crackslaw/
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 20:32

Plan: Atkins (DNDR) & Exercise
Stats: 235/198/170 Male 69
BF:39%/28%/15%
Progress: 57%
Thumbs up

Kristine, thanks for bringing this back to the top, I'm looking forward to trying it!!
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-16, 10:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

DietDoctor has added a Crackslaw-Italian Style.

Italian Cabbage Stir Fry
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/...abbage-stir-fry
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/320/280 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

I made this last night and loved it. Will be doing it again with 1/2 sausage and 1/2 chicken.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-18, 11:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Crack Slaw

This is my go to recipe for Crack Slaw.
It's by Linda who has a WONDERFUL Low-carb recipe website.

She calls it HAMBURGER CABBAGE STIR-FRY

Quote:
HAMBURGER CABBAGE STIR-FRY
1 pound ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 ounce bag coleslaw mix *
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Pinch ginger, optional
Pinch cayenne, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1 bunch green onions, cut on the bias (about 8 onions or 3 ounces after trimming)

In a very large skillet or wok, brown the ground beef with the garlic and a little salt and pepper. Drain the fat, if you like, or just leave it in. Add the cabbage and mushrooms and stir-fry until the cabbage is tender-crisp. Add the remaining ingredients and heat through. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.

Makes 6 servings

* You can save a lot of money, like I did, by buying a head of cabbage and shredding it yourself. A 1-pound bag of coleslaw mix was $1.39 and cabbage was 34¢ pound. To end up with a pound of shredded cabbage, I bought the smallest one they had which weighed 1 1/2 pounds. After trimming, I ended up with almost exactly a pound of usable cabbage. This whole dish, minus the condiments and seasonings, only cost me $3.50 to make because I bought marked down hamburger and got good prices on the cabbage, mushrooms, and green onions.

Ground beef 99¢
Cabbage 50¢
Mushrooms $1.49
Green onions 50¢
TOTAL - $3.50

Per Serving: 263 Calories; 16g Fat; 22g Protein; 7.5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs

This is a popular recipe at Low Carb Friends that they call Crack Slaw. I don't know why they call this "slaw" when it's a cooked dish. I wasn't crazy about the name so I'm calling mine something else. There are so many variations of Crack Slaw that I couldn't decide which one to try so I just took the ingredients that appealed to me and came up with my own version. I saw some versions that called for as much as a stick of butter. Instead of adding extra fat with butter, I just left in the fat from the ground beef. This made a huge amount of food and I could only fit about two thirds of it in the serving bowl in the photo. Click the photo to see a close-up.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/hambur...ge_stirfry.html

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, May-23-21 at 14:25.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 18:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

I make something similar often. I use whatever veggies I have...onion, red peppers, broccoli (pre steam), green beans. I ad a lot of fresh ginger and garlic and no sweetener. Usuallky a littl hot pepper and soy and it is a wonderful fresh dinner. The leftovers are great too!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-18, 08:34
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Loved Crack Slaw! Soy sauce gives me migraine aura so I had to stop making it. Tried different Amino blends, but they're all "no-go" as well. Tried using fish sauce, but once you've had the real thing, it's hard to go back.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, May-23-21, 13:47
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

I know it's been a while since this post has been active, but I've been seeing the crack slaw recipe making the rounds again, but now people are calling it "Egg Roll in a Bowl"!
https://stylishcravings.com/low-car...-egg-roll-bowl/
  #40   ^
Old Fri, May-28-21, 03:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

This is still one of my go-tos. Easy to vary. My usual "recipe":
- ground chicken, turkey or pork
- cole slaw mix
- onion - green onion looks pretty on top
- peppers if I have some to use up
- sauce: about 1/4 c tamari (or soy sauce), 1 tsp Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1-2 pks Splenda

I also use that sauce mix as a basic Chinese stir-fry sauce. I use veggies other than cabbage, usually some combination of cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, green beans or peppers... whatever's handy. I use whatever meat I've got handy. I'll scramble a couple of eggs to give it a 'fried rice without the rice' kind of taste... though it works with cauli-rice, too. I usually add a tad more sesame oil at the end, and more tamari if it needs it.

The Huy Fong chili garlic sauce isn't like the "ketchuppy" chili sauces you often see - it's a thicker paste. No added sugar: the only ingredients are basically chilis, garlic, vinegar, salt, and some preservatives.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, May-28-21 at 03:37.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 14:34
~strange as angels~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
The Huy Fong chili garlic sauce isn't like the "ketchuppy" chili sauces you often see - it's a thicker paste. No added sugar: the only ingredients are basically chilis, garlic, vinegar, salt, and some preservatives.

Is it different from sambal oelek? Huy Fong makes one and I'm wondering if they're the same thing or interchangeable.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 17:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Is it different from sambal oelek? Huy Fong makes one and I'm wondering if they're the same thing or interchangeable.

Almost the same. Sambal oelek is just chilis, the other is chilis + garlic. I keep a jar of each on hand .. sometimes you want garlic, sometimes not

tip** .. Huy Fong sambal oelek has a gold label with red lettering; their chili-garlic sauce has a clear label with white lettering. Both have a rooster in the center

#43   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 19:40
~strange as angels~

Ah, it sounds like I'd like the chili-garlic better with this. I have sambal on hand, so I'll just add some garlic until I use it up.

Yeah, we used to call sriracha "rooster sauce" until I figured out how to pronounce it.