Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 10:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/155.5/137.5
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy New Turtle here

I've been on Atkins religiously since October 29th (with a week off for Thanksgiving) and have only lost 4 1/2 pounds. I was not a meat eater or an egg eater prior to starting the plan and I hate them even more now. I'm getting frustrated and I don't know what to do. I'm staying on the plan, because at least I lost some weight, so I'm hoping if I stick with it, I will continue to lose...eventually. I like the plan because I don't have to be hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can eat or how I can lose more? I work out 4 mornings a week.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 10:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome.
Starting a journal and posting your menu there will definately help. It is hard to tell what you are eating if you don't eat meat or eggs. Are you drinking lots of water?
Post your menu and we can work from there.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 10:22

BF:
Unhappy Menu

I do eat meat and eggs, but I dislike them. I tend to eat a few nuts when I first wake up, then a few strips of bacon or sausage when I get to work, then for lunch I have a cheese steak or cheese burger or chicken with cheese a and salad, with oil and vinegar. I drink about 40 oz of water a day. I am not a huge dinenr eater, and usually just have an ounce of nuts. sometimes I will have a cheese burger. On the weekends I have eggs for breakfast.

Jennifer
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 13:20

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Jennifer,
I'm not sure, but from what you posted, it sounds like you're in a bit of a "starvation mode." When you fail to eat enough calories or fat, your body goes into starvation mode and begins to store as much as it can. This works against your being able to lose weight. By only eating an ounce of nuts in the evening, your body is "starved" from that time until you have something in the morning, and you're not eating enough there, either.

Check out Natrushka's journal in the journals section, and I agree with Atriana here, begin a journal yourself. The moderators and those who are experienced with this way of eating look at the journals often and can provide some very helpful suggestions as to why you may be stalled.

Sh'ra
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:09

BF:

Well, I don't think I'm starving. I'm definitely full most of the time. I eat a bar sometimes and a few nuts if I start to get hungry. I'm actually never hungry. Can you tell me where the journal section is and I will check it out? Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:07

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Jennifer - go to the top of this thread and click on "Active Low-Carber Forums." This brings up a list of all the forums on this board. Scroll down until you see the link for Journals/Bootcamp. Click on the N-S section to find Nat's journal - lots of helpful information there. Nearly all the journals have taught me something, and starting my own journal has helped, too, because when I post my daily menu, others can look to see what I'm eating and help me find the reason why I might be stalling out on weight loss.

One thing I have noticed is that nuts tend to satiate a person quickly. Perhaps you could mix them into, say, chicken salad with mayo, or something else. They could be keeping you from actually feeling "real" hunger.

At any rate, I do encourage you to begin a journal and to read the journals of others.

Happy holidays,
Sh'ra
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:11

BF:

Thanks, I found it. I posted my journal there. I think I should purchase a food scale, to make sure that I'm eating the right quantities.

It also would help if I weren't so sick of meat and eggs. I really can't stand red meat at this point and chicken and fish aren't really doing it for me either.

At this point I am not enjoying anything I am eating. It's very depressing. I wish there was a pill that made you full and gave you all the nutrients you needed, because the food I'm eating is boring me to tears.

I really miss fruit. I miss bread, too, not bagels, I am not craving bagels, but just putting my burger on a bun would be nice. Maybe an egg salad sand on bread would be nice, too.