Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 23:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Exclamation My first Challenge!

Just wanted to say hey to the other BFL'ers here...I just started on my first Challenge on Monday 5/16/02. This will be an interesting few weeks. I hope I get as dramatic results as others I've seen here!

I've read a ton on this particular forum, and I think that the nutrition part of the program will be the hardest for me to nail down. I don't know how I'm going to manage to convert to the six-meal-a-day practice...that's gonna be tough, but I'll work it out somehow (I hope). Is there a really significant benefit to eating six times in a day instead of three?

With this change in exercise intensity, I'm uncertain about how many carbs I should be taking in now (I'm still living on 20-25 carbs a day), nor how much protein or fat I should be consuming a day. Folks here seem to have these stats figured out for themselves...can anyone toss a clue my way? I guess I'll need to find a protein counter book soon.

It's late and bed is calling. Night night all!

-- Nicky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 06:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: My first Challenge!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellipsis
Is there a really significant benefit to eating six times in a day instead of three?

Yes, Nicky, there's a significant benefit to eating six, or seven times a day. In general, fewer, smaller meals will keep the metabolism roaring - eating and digesting does this. It also helps keep blood sugar stable, and therefore insulin levels stable. Combined with intense exercise, in particular, weight lifting, it keeps your muscle supplied with the necessary amino acids to build and repair muscle tissue. Eating every 3 hours can be a chore at first, but I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of people now doing it that they couldnt imagine not doing it.

You eat less, but you eat more often. The likelihood of 'overstuffing' yourself is lessened.

Check out the BFL forum for a question a few months ago "Can BFL be done on 3 meals a day" for a little more info.

As for the macronutrient breakdown, have a read through the Sticky at the top of this forum "LC & BFL : Hint and Tips" - there is important info on doing this program with LC nutrition. Carbs should be raised - you just can't do this effectively on <20g a day. Try 30-40 EC a day and see how you feel; more may be needed. Protein must be higher than traditional LC; 1-1.5g per lb of current body weight. It's a lot of protein, you'll find it easier to get yours in with protein supplements (shakes).

I also suggest having a read through a few of the gym logs and jorunals of those of us following BFL - it's a great way to get tips, hints and suggestions.

Congrats on your newest challenge It starts out as 12 weeks but it's really For Life. Looking forward to following along with you.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 20:17

BF:
Default Conflicting information?

Quote:
...1-1.5g per lb of current body weight.

Thanks for your reply, Nat. Very helpful. However, I've seen a couple versions of the protein intake wisdom and it's got me a bit confused. In the sticky "Hints" thread, you noted that, in C1, you consumed 1 to 1.3 g. of protein per pound of LEAN body mass which is quite a bit different than the advice quoted above (which is for current body weight). Can you clarify which is correct?

Thanks again.

-- Nicky
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 20:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The number quoted above is correct. As with everything, we learn as we go. Thanks, I'll update the stickie.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 23:48

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Re six meals a day

Contrary to many others here, I have never tracked "exactly" how much protein/fat/carbs I take in. When I first started Atkins, I kept my carbs around 20g per day but increased that slowly. When I started BFL I began eating six "meals" a day and I followed other's lead by using protein shakes as some of my meals. I still use the shakes sometimes but they are not my favourite. I like food too much and have adapted quite well to eating more times in a day. It's true though, that portions get a bit smaller. And I admit it was very hard to make that transition at the beginning. Now, I love knowing that in 2-3 hours after each meal, I get to eat more food! And I feel much better. I also love that I can eat five minutes before bed and still lose 2 lbs overnight!

I try to remember the rule to always have protein in each meal and balance it w/ a bit of carb by way of veggies, fruit, flax bread which is made w/ sprouted grains so is absorbed differently by the body and very low carb but I don't overdo it. I also love my fats so I eat a lot of butter, fats on my meat, cheese & cream (lots of this).

If I am hungry and need something quick - protein is always my first choice if I can help it - cheese slices, cottage cheese, slices of meat, boiled eggs, etc. Oh, and Macadamia nuts are a favourite too but I try not to overdo those either as they are very 'spensive and are a combination food (fats, protein & carbs).

Oh, I guess I should say the reason I have never tracked my food is because I am just too busy. Just fnding time to get on here to check posts and keep track in my own journal is hard enough. I don't have the time to use fitday. Although, It would be fun to do it just to get an idea of exactly what percentages I am consuming and how many calories I am packing away.

I think it would be helpful and I know many people here are using it to advantage but it's not absolutely necessary.

Hope that helps and good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 06:20
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Nicky!

Welcome to BFL!! You'll love it!

What I like to point out is that you'll find you're hungrier once you start exercising like this....you'll be grateful for 6 meals a day!! Protein shakes are a life-saver! (I use GNC 100% whey, chocolate.) As for the carbs, when I first started I was feeling really tired some days and found that if I kept them around 35-50/day I felt much better. Probably more important that this, however, is making sure I get enough sleep....8 hrs minimum per night. For me it makes a HUGE difference in the quality of my day. If you don't get your 8 hrs in, try to make it up sometime during the day by taking a little rest after work or in the evening when you can.

The first few weeks there's a lot of tweaking going on, but you'll be in the groove in no time. Good luck and happy lifting!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 12:00

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Re sleep

Like TeriDoodle said, getting enough sleep is very important because that's when our bodies are healing and growing those muscles. So if you are not getting enough sleep and rest time you aren't being as effective. And I am sure, like the rest of us, you want to see some great results for all the hard work you are doing.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 12:33

BF:
Default Sleep...

Oh yes, I struggle with sleep. Typically I go to bed too late and as a result only get about 6 hours of sleep a night. It's been a real war with myself to break this bad habit, even though I feel so much better and lose weight better when I get a full 8 hours in.

This is yet another challenge in my ever-growing list.

-- Nicky