Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 05:44
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Row, Some mornings are harder than others. Sometime I wake up feeling "hung over", sometimes it's just hard to get up, but we were like that before anyway, right? I'd rather deal with that, than a full blown die off at noon!! If mornings are too hard, back off the antifungal a little bit so the die off isn't as intense. Have you used fit day to keep track of what you're eating? It's great, has some quirks but it's good for where your calories are coming from, how many carbs you're eating (carbs and sugar feed the candida, carbs should be low, if I average out my week, I eat about 60 carbs a day after you subtract fiber from the total, because fiber doesn't effect your blood sugar) and how many nutrients you're getting. That's where I found out I was only getting 1/2 the calcium I should be. You can get daily reports of your nutrient or weekly, which is nice because you don't eat the same every day, It's really what averages out over a week that matters.

Sorry, don't really do recipies. I get the best veggies and meat I can that's available and just make stuff. I don't eat grains (except for oatbran in the morning) and there are additives in all the condiments so don't use many of those. So I cook pretty "old school". Not lots of fancy stuff, just plain and simple. Let me know what kind of things you're eating and maybe we can swap some ideas. You should start a journal, you can keep track of how you're feeling and meet some more people!! Gotta run.

Liz
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 01:13

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 143/137/120
BF:too much!
Progress: 26%
Smile

thanks,
to be honest I don't count anything. I've just gone really strict and am not eating any carbs, sugar, wheat/gluten, etc.. heaps of fresh vegetables, tuna, stirfrys, Miso soup with vegetables, corn chips and vegetable chips for snacking on, vegetable omeletes, scotch oats for breakfast and drinking heaps of water and herbal teas. It's fairly boring so far but I plan to build it up as I go.

I brought some stevia and tapioca today (exciting!!) so may have something sweet for dessert. Could be interesting with soy milk (mmmmmmmmmmmmm... NOT!!).

I'm on the look out for recipies and tips, if I have to do this I wanna make it as enjoyable as possible. Am starting to feel better today actually, the head aches and carb withdrawal is easing a bit which is good. Just need to take one day at a time.

Really appreciate all your comments and thoughts.

all the best
Row
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 05:42
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Got a quick min, then gotta run. FYI, MISO can contain gluten, should stay away from it unless it says gluten free. And Corn chipa are a BIG carb. They're my last carb vice. There are around 20 carbs in a big handful. And with the stirfrys, if you're using some kind of sauce with it, make sure it's gluten free (many aren't) no added sugar and no vinegar. It's tough, but the results are worth it. I gotta get some kind of mouth rinse. Stupid fuzzy white tongue made an appearance this morning!! I upped my antifungal last night. No problem this morning besides that, so I guess I can't complain!! Gotta run. Have a great day!!

Liz
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%

Rowena,
I am interested in knowing how you
are doing? How long did the die off
last? I am planning on doing this
as well.
I have to get the stuff from the health
food store and clear the shelves
at home...no temptations!
Yeah right!

Anyway let me know! Thanks!
Hope you are doing better!!!
Tanya
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 03:58

Hi Tanya,

I am feeling much better thanks. Have just passed the 2 week mark. The main thing I noticed was that my most extreme symptoms calmed right down, for me it was extreme dizzyness and brain fog which would hit me about 12pm. Generally I found it very hard to last a whole day without having a nap in the afternoon, which was why I had to give up work a couple of years ago, absolutely burnt out. I'm now a full-time art student which works much better for me becuase I can look after myself a lot more and don't have to do full days.

My other big symptom was an absolute lethargy, I almost couldn't move when this hit me, my limbs would get soooo heavy and I could hardly keep my eyes open. Basically after 3 weeks of strict diet, anti-fungals and supplements these and some other smaller symptoms have reduced by about 40%. I can just about go a whole day now. But now instead of everyday being bad, I might have 1 bad day out of 4 or 5.

Even after only 3 weeks doing this I can look back on how I was feeling before and wonder how I actually put up with it for so long, I was kidding myself and propping myself up with coffee, chocolate and carbs. amazing how much better removing these from your diet can make you feel. By the way, expect some headaches and discomfort from the carb withdrawal, for me this lasted about 3 days severely and 1 day mildly.

So yes, feeling much better, only two MAJOR problems at the moment, extreme constipation which can get uncomfortable (sorry to be gross), I got some herbal tea with senna in it which works quite well and I have it every other day. I think this is just a matter of tweaking the diet a bit though.
The other thing is that even though I haven't been eating anything fattening for 3 weeks the scales haven't budged, I read that this is normal when you've got candida but it's kind of depressing, it's the one plus to actually doing this diet. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.

With respect to the die-off symptoms from the anti-fungals I found the first week is definitely the worse, every symptom is exagerated 100%, if you can get past the first week things definiately keep getting better.

so good luck and let us all know how you get on.
just keep focused on the end goal and don't give in to temptation.

all the best
Row

Last edited by Rowena : Thu, Apr-10-03 at 23:31.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 11:57

Thanks Row!

I think I am over the carb
craving. I know ALL about
those 1st 3 days. I would
rather have the flu, personally.

I will be getting rid of the
yeastie beasties. Have you
done any other type of cleanses
before? I read somewhere that
you need to do a parasite cleanse
and liver cleanse before trying to
get rid of yeast...can't recall the
website. I am afraid to do all of
this because it sounds so gross!
Kinda like a horror film in real life....geez!

I am making pretty good progress in
my weight loss, but I have itchy skin/skalp,
bad breath, pot belly, constipation, insomnia,
thrush, etc. I guess it's time to get rid of
the yeast. I hope that you are able to
continue on the road to success!

Be blessed and
keep in touch!
Tanya
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 19:09

Hi Tanya,

no I haven't done any other cleanses (aside from anti candida diets that haven't worked). I feel that this diet is a cleanse in itself though, I'm pretty much eating nothing but vegetables, fish, porridge, a couple of eggs a week, rice crackers, herbal teas, etc.. not very exciting, and cutting out all the carbs, coffee, sugar etc..

I have a homeopath who does a bio-function analysis test which I trust the results of. He tested for parasites etc.. and I have no significant readings, I had high candida readings though and high metal readings. I've had problems with my teeth for a while, bleeding gums on and off and extreme sensitivity. Apparently rampant candida can leech the metal out of the fillings and it gets into the blood stream. not so good.

I'm planning to have another test in about 2 weeks I will have been on the diet about a month and a bit and it will be REALLY interesting to see if any of the extreme readings have reduced. I did notice on a previous test my allergies had reduced quite considerably after taking a fatty acid supplement, so trust this method of testing. I'll let you know how it goes.

I can relate to some of your symptoms, especially jock itch and itching scalp, I don't have bad breath issues but my BO can get really extreme I have had issues trying to find a deodorant that controls it, I get quite self conscious about it sometimes. Constipation is a huge issue with me, lack of energy, dizzyness and brain fog. Most of these symptoms have relaxed now though.

It's been a few days since your post, have you started any program yet, if so how's it going?

see ya
Row
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 14:23

Hi Row,

I started it and then got a virus
so I fell off the wagon. Once I
have battled this virus completely