Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 00:22

Plan: Candida Diet
Stats: 191/191/143 Female 175 cm
BF:43%
Progress: 0%
Default Anti-fungals

Hi again

I know what you mean about that website, there is a lot of reading and it takes a while for it all to sink in. Definitely information overload.

I don't know much about those specific things, however I do know that taking raw garlic crushed mixed up in your food right before eating it is supposed to be the best antifungal rather than the tablets but that is not always convenient since you end up with horrible breath etc.

I do know that on a few websites they recommend a 4 step approach to getting candida overgrowth under control and that diet alone is not enough.

1. Diet super low carb like atkins (but not eating dairy, mushrooms etc)
2. Taking supplements, vitamin B complex, vitamin C 1000mg, vitamin E to
build up the immune system to help fight the candida. And because
candida takes over the gut and inhibits absorbtion of vitamins and
minerals from food in general.
3. Taking antifungals, cocount oil building up to about 3 tablespoons a day,
as wells as raw garlic and other anti-fungals such as olive leaf extract
can work well, paul d'arco tea,
4. Pro-biotics. (my naturopath prescribed Saccharomyces boulardii)

From what I've read you need to stick to all four steps consistently for a month for every year that you've had the candida in your system BUT some people have it in their intestines out of control for years before getting any external fungal symptoms so overall they say about a year!!!!!!!

To be honest I am stuggling with all of it too and after 3 months of sticking to my plan to the letter I have fallen off the wagon. It's not easy, hence why I have joined this forum for a bit of support and to get some tips.

Good Luck, I hope I've helped a little.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/130/124 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_dud74
Hi again
................1. Diet super low carb like atkins (but not eating dairy, mushrooms etc)
2. Taking supplements, vitamin B complex, vitamin C 1000mg, vitamin E to
build up the immune system to help fight the candida. And because
candida takes over the gut and inhibits absorbtion of vitamins and
minerals from food in general.
3. Taking antifungals, cocount oil building up to about 3 tablespoons a day,
as wells as raw garlic and other anti-fungals such as olive leaf extract
can work well, paul d'arco tea,
4. Pro-biotics. (my naturopath prescribed Saccharomyces boulardii)..................
Good Luck, I hope I've helped a little.

Thanks. That was very helpful. I have gone low carb, and still don't eat mushrooms, vinegar (which means condiments & dressings) - BUT I do have heavy whipping cream. I've heard that is okay. I also have cheese but I could probably give that up. Giving up my cream would be much harder.

I take B&E, but not C. I think I'll start adding that. <sigh>

I've bought Coconut something (looks like the consistency of Crisco) and will try to start using that.

I just started garlic supplements. I've never been a big fan of garlic so not sure natural garlic will go far. I may try. As of my last visit a couple week ago I'm now taking garlic supplements.

How do you eat olive leaf extract?
Also, I'm curious about the tea. My reading is that tea has fungus so I'm supposed to stay away from teas <sigh>

I've got the pro-biotics. A couple of different ones. Ultra-Flora DF, and Candibactin (or something like that.)

Thanks for distilling it down for me! I really appreciate it.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 18:30

No sorry don't know anything about those particularly. But if you start the coconut oil start taking a little bit at a time and build up slowly to about 3 tablespoons per day. I'm sure if you are sticking to your diet plan and taking the garlic and the coconut oil you as well as the flora you will see improvement after a few months.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 18:43

Hi
Olive leaf extract comes in a liquid form. I get it from my local pharmacy here in Australia but it's fairly common from what I gather. Mine is peppermint flavoured and not bad to take orally.
You just take it like medicine.

The pau d'arco - can't elaborate as it was recommended on the healingnaturallybybee website and a few other sites and have found reference to it on some threads on this site too but I haven't honestly started taking it yet. It gets a bit out of control buying all this stuff as you probably know!!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 18:50

Sorry I forgot to add that it's also recommended that you take fish oil every day too (I take 4000 mg) per day. In winter you're supposed to switch to taking cod liver oil because of it's vitamin D properties. You should also try and get a good 10 minute dose of sunlight every day, getting the sun on your skin when you can.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 20:12
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 140/155/140 Female 6 feet
BF:
Progress: -200%

it sounds like the antibiotics most definitely triggered your candidiasis...that's usually the cause.
coconut and grapeseed oils will really kick some ass for you...definitely been working for me, i can tell because i feel lousy after i eat it. lol. die off reaction of course...also, caprylic acid, probiotics, and garlic work wonders...good luck! you're not alone...
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-08, 08:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/130/124 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the information and support!
My face is clearing up. Not totally gone in location that was most severe, but not that noticeable. Doc said it would take about a month!!

I was going to write this on a different board, but thought maybe the yeast had a role so I'd try here too. I went on an anti-candidas diet to get rid of a nasty yeast infection that wasn't responding to traditional treatments. ONe of the best things to happen to me. While on the diet I watched my blood pressure go down, my blood work improve significantly, my dental appts improve, and my sugar cravings go away. I think there were a couple of other good things too. I also started losing weight! I eventually got down to about 124, which I was happy with. Still don't have a flat stomach. Never will. <sigh> But was very happy at 124. I never thought I'd get that low. Haven't been there since passing it on the way up after puberty (several decades ago). WHen it was over, I decided to stay on the low-carb diet way of life.

Then had some teeth trouble, and started eating nut butters especially peanut butter & sunflower butter. I thought I was still staying within my base line carb count (about 30 g), but I wasn't keeping track, and I think I miscounted the sunflower butter carbs. IN any case, I gained 5 pounds.

I cut back on carbs to lose those 5 pounds again, and I CAN'T. They just don't come off. i've started keeping track of my food again to see what happen, but thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.

other things that may (or may not) pertinent:
As best I can remember, I was aided in reaching 124 by a gall bladder attack (I didn't know that's what it was at the time) when I quit eating. That was about 7 months ago. So the stopping eating helped get me to 124, but I was able to maintain that by staying about 30g carbs/day.

Any other ideas? suggestions?
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-08, 10:31

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

My experience is that dairy, especially cheese, is a major candida trigger. If you don't want to give dairy up completely try getting some casein-free ghee.

Nuts also give us problems.

Yes, plenty of books will tell you to give up meat, but can you follow all the books? You have to eat something... If you want to see what works for you, try 2 weeks with no nuts or dairy, 2 weeks with no meat or dairy, and 2 weeks with no meat or nuts. You might want to limit your meat to fresh cuts. Amines and hydrolysed proteins (found in cured meats, wine, vinegar and cheese) can put a load on your system and interact with candida.

Last edited by capmikee : Mon, Dec-22-08 at 11:41.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 17:26

Plan: LC Candida Diet
Stats: 284/225.8/140 Female 5'5.75"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Wanted to comment on the issue of all the candida books out there.... <sigh>

My personality is one that likes to find someone else's program and try to follow it. (of course I always have to have some recommendation or piece of advice I disagree with and don't follow.) After trying various candida diets...the latest being one that allowed complex carbs such as potatoes, potato chips (!!)(only if the oil used was safflower or canola and no food additives), brown rice etc. After catching up on all the potatoes I had missed in the last years, I found my psoriasis was worse. I finally got broken of this need to follow someone else's plan and decided I have to do what works for me. So...I gave up all potatoes and ran straight back to LC-ing minus the vinegar, cheese, occasional alcohol etc etc.

I am just to the point where I am ready for these yeasty-beasties to be under control!!! So far so good. I am taking nystatin and eating meats, healthy fats, lc veggies and eggs. Occasionally I will have some lemon juice on something. EVCO is also important but the flavor is pretty strong, so I have to be careful how I use it.

All the best to those who struggle against the Y beasts.