Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 23:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello everyone,

I started this thread and have not gotten back to check on responses due to a death in the family. Thank you for your replies. I have been reading up more on candida, health and a bunch of other things. I have found some articles on people doing lowcarb anti-yeast diets. My question is, I need to lose a lot of weight. Does a lc, anti-yeast diet promote weight loss? If so, are there any books on how to do lc along with anti-yeast? I filled out an online questionaire tonight with the results of 85 and up being "severe" as far as having a candida problem goes and my score was 233!! SO many of the symptoms sound like me. I'm new at this and have no clue what I'm doing. Any information would be so helpful. I have felt like crap for years and sure would like to do something about it. Thanks so much.

~~Lisa~~
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 10:23

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Hi, I posted on this thread in March, and since then have been diagnosed with a yeast infection! Once I started lcing, as I said before, the symptoms of FM, plus other problems all pretty much disappeared except I was left with fatigue. Once I started taking something for the yeast (less than a week ago) even the fatigue has lifted. So that was maybe the final piece to solve for me.
Here's what I do: I'm taking oil of oregano, coconut oil, olive leaf extract and caprylic acid for yeast overgrowth. I'm also taking something from the ND for the localized yeast infection just for 10 days, herbs which are working real well. I'll be taking the ooo and coconut oil long term, and reserve the caprylic acid and olive leaf for outbreaks. I hear the yeast can get used to remedies and then they no longer work.
Other than that, I am off all grains completely for awhile and am in no hurry to add one at a time back to see if I can tolerate any. I took three tests in a book about wheat, gluten, and carbohydrate sensitivities (Going against the Grain by Melissa Diane Smith), and tested very high for all three categories. I don't know about seed oils because I just don't use any except occasionally sesame oil. I use mainly olive oil, butter, macadamia nut oil, and coconut oil for cooking. I also use kefir and quark for smoothies, not every day. I don't know of any local source for raw honey, and I've never tried to make my own yoghurt.
About yeast overgrowth and the lc diet itself-- I hear from one source (Atkins himself?) to use only fresh cheese like cream cheese and feta, and from another to avoid all dairy. So far I'm finding it very hard to avoid all dairy. Eating is too boring that way, and it's hard to find many recipes for lc without cheese. So I'm still working on that one.
I'm doing so much better on this diet that even though I have stopped losing weight after the first 20 pounds, I will never quit. It's a matter of health, but I am still hopeful of continuing to lose weight. Now that I have more energy, my exercise and activity will help (hopefully!)
Hope this helps someone and I'm looking forward to any feedback from others. I really appreciate this thread and others that have helped me so much to improve my quality of lifel --Gail
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 11:19

Plan: anti-yeast
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5'7
BF:36
Progress: 0%
Smile FMS and Candida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISAinTN
I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but after reading over some of the symptoms of candida, a lot of the symptoms sound the same. Is there a chance I have candida instead of FMS or is there a connection between the two? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much.

~~Lisa~~

Hi Lisa,

I have read about a connection between the two. I am also a candida sufferer and have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia at the age of 13. At the time my diet was very high in carbs and had also been treated excessively with anti-biotics for 2 years due to reoccuring strep throat. Now, at the age of 23, I've been having a major flare up of candida. I've also noticed that the CFS and FMS symptoms have also returned; I haven't had any trouble with either in the last 6 years. As I treat the candida the symptoms seem to lessen. Good luck.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 11:31

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%

sorry to hear about your loss. God bless on that.
I read and did the tests too above 200 too. my hubby says i am just gulable though. but he let me by a product called threelac. i have used it now 8 dys, eating low carb and low sugar or no sugar but low from veggies etc. and i have to say i am sleeping better, not dragging tiered, less head problems etc. wouldlove to continue to share w/ you.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: I dont exactly
Stats: 300/215/- Male 74
BF:
Progress:

Chiming in here. I have controlled my candida for over 9 years now with mostly diet but over the last few years I have found at least my allergies to be coming back and getting worse each year. Now I'm even allergic to bleach fumes for instance.

At any rate there is a definite connection between candida and fibormoralgia. I can say this for a fact as when I started my diet years ago I had fibormoralgia type symptoms for about a year. I was sore and achy and my joints ached. It hurt to walk and my joints would pop. My hip especially hurt and my knees would sometimes partially collapse on me.

I could not afford a doctor so I lived with it. It took about a year for that to clear up but it was my body having die-off from all the candida I had been packing around for years. I did not know it at that time but found out later I had candida. For years before this I would get really sick every now and then with my whole body aching.

The problem with all this is that after 9 years my candida is getting worse so diet alone will not necessarily controle it. I'm now looking at other product to kill the candida off and make me better. It's not worth it to live with all this stuff.

Another thing I have run across is a strong correlation between all these things and Mercury fillings. Mercury found in fillings literally poisens you system within a few minutes after you get them and it continues to leach into your system over the years. This compromises your immune system and then your body can no longer keep the candida under controle.

Once the candida kicks off it is known to produce about 79 known toxins and alcohols. This is also the reason for the brain fog that so many people complain about that have these conditions.

Once your body gets to this point you have so many toxins in your system that you ache and your joints hurt.

At any rate I hope this info helps.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 08:41

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Anyone ever heard of active release technique? I've heard good results with this therapy but there aren't a lot of Doctors/chiropractors that specialize in this. It's a massage, stretching action that breaks loose scar tissue or tight muscles that can't relax due to over use or injury.