Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 11:02

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

It is a cold day after the thunderstorms last night.
Of course it's dreary.
April showers bring May flowers.
Well, we must be going to have a lot of flowers because April has given us lots of rain and cloudy days.
All I want to do is curl up under a cozy blanket and read today.
Will watch the Richmond Nascar race that was rained out yesterday.
Glenda, welcome and hope you stick around.
Sometimes we have almost a dozen posting and then they slip away and it's just a now and then post from the few who just won't let this thread die.
Indeed with age comes health problems.
They add to the frustration of trying to keep weight lower.
They also add to the incentive to keep weight lower.

Hope everyone enjoys the blessed day.
N2L
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 21:02

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Thumbs up

I tried to get back here sooner but I'm here now. Glad to see new people on here. I'm still at my goal and look in the mirror with unbelief. I didn't exercise today but did the gym and pool today. My foot is still sore but we walk a little extra. Pooh also gets her exercise fetching her squeak toy. When she gets tired she doesn't bring the toy back which works for me.
My left hand got an infection and I think it started with a couple of ant bites but no one knows for sure. It's pretty swelled and discolored but the sulfa the rheumy gave me has helped it improve. I need to stop a few minutes and put ice on it. Tomorrow I'll go to the gym.
N2L,, I don't know if you'll get this storm but our temp didn't even get up to 60* and tonight the low is going to be 45*. I took advantage of the low temp and bombed for bugs today. With the lower temp I didn't have to sit out in the yard with the dog for 3 hours or pay for doggie day care. It's going to be a little cooler until Friday. Wouldn't it be nice to have some cool days in August??
I had homemade veg beef soup tonight and it got me a little warmed up. B said he baked bread today. Maybe some time he'll bake some for me. Chanteyl keep on making those good plans for yourself as I think it's just great. Let's all think young. myrt

Last edited by myrt4930 : Tue, Apr-28-15 at 21:08.
  #243   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 06:03

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Myrt, I will try and think young Congrats on maintaining your goal.

N2L, now that retirement is happening (not done working though) and hubby and I are looking for total retirement in several years, we are looking to the great state of TN for retirement as a possibility since I have a son in TX and one in FL. We don't know where the rest of the clan will land, but for now TN seems the midway point.
  #244   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 07:59

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

I was thinking young and called about purple contacts and I can't get them because I have an astigmatism. I'm a little upset that I can't have purple eye contacts because of the way my lenses are shaped.
  #245   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 15:26

BF:

My hand is a lot better than 2 days ago when I last posted. Most of the joints in that hand are still sore and I don't understand that.
I went to WW today just to check in and I'm up a pound which is OK with me except I'm slipping back into some of my old eating habits i.e. eating too much at night. Not a good sign.
Of course you can think young, Vicki; just act crazy like I do. If you have ADD that helps, too

Take care everybody. myrt
  #246   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 17:40

I don't think I have ADD; but then again . . .
  #247   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 20:10

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I've been gone awhile, Life just got busy.

I'm still plugging away I think I will have to look at what I'm eating and tweak it a bit. I haven't gained any weight, but really haven't lost that much. It gets a little frustrating, and makes you want to quit. I know that's never an answer.

Ran into a friend that does carpentry work and he is going to help us with our kitchen redo. I think kitchen and painting this year, new floors next year.

I'll try and get back here more often. I have really neglected my journal
  #248   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 22:32

BF:

Got my weight on my profile changed but the rest isn't exactly complete. I like that percentage complete or progress. Today I had so much fun. I bought $35 worth of clothes at 2 thrift stores and have most of them laundered. I got a linen skirt and linen capri pants. Never had linen before but have wanted some for years.
  #249   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default The Good News on Being Old & Obese

HI all..new old person here.

I was feeling bad that I could not longer do even the 45 minutes brisk walks I had been doing for the last 15 years with my dogs. After a 2009 car accident causing permanent leg injury I slowed down for a while, then a stroke in 2013 impacted the same right leg, weakening me further.

Now with a great LCHF diet that is allowing me to finally lose weight..easily…with satiety, and PLEASURE I was still worried over getting enough exercise.

Then I read the reports in Volek & Phinney's book on "Art of Low Carb Performance" stated precisely that MORE than 60 continuous minutes of endurance exercise for the obese SLOWS the fat burning metabolism by 5-15%!!!

How about that? work yourself hard for over an hour and you go backwards..

So the message is DO WHAT YOU CAN, in under an hour, or break your exercise into two 25 minute, or three 15-20 minute segments and truly enjoy the benefits of your efforts. NO MORE GUILT.

Last edited by MuddyGurl : Thu, May-07-15 at 23:16. Reason: typos again
  #250   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 09:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome Muddygurl, I can see where they are coming from with the exercise. I know myself personally I do 25 mins in the AM and then 25 mins in the PM. I can't kick and clap anymore (LOL).

I'm glad your hand is better Myrt, and that you got your weight profile changed. It is so easy to slip back into old habits. sometimes we do it without thinking.

I'm doing all right. I stayed totally on track yesterday, even got some walking in. My DH finally retired so we can eat earlier, that might help me. So far today I have only had my Bullet Proof coffee. I might boil a couple of eggs, I haven't decided yet. Still suffering from pain, but I got it so it is manageable.

Sorry to hear about the contacts Chanteyl. But you will have to find a way to stay feeling young. It is important.
  #251   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 10:21

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

New way to stay young joined red hats. We do games, crafts, and go places. So I'm having more fun. I am getting really busy now.

Muddy-I exercise only slightly. I can walk to mailbox with out my walker just did it 2 times. Im walking just a little more w/ housework, and while shopping (leaning on cart).

I'm 74 this month ugh! Just looking for fun times now.
  #252   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 17:38

BF:

Have some friends in red hats elsewhere in U.S.
They enjoy it very much.
Good for you.
N2L
  #253   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 18:38

jmh, hang in there.

myrt, new clothes, how fun.

muddy, thankfully, I average about 45-50 minutes of exercise in the a.m. If I walk, it ends up about an hour.

n2L, maybe I should check into the red hats now that I am "retired" Although, I am starting a new job tomorrow.
  #254   ^
Old Tue, May-12-15, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Walker racing

Chanteyl…yep,after my stroke (semi mild, I was lucky) I was given a walker with bouncy wheels and off I went..a mile a day down my country lane..since the doggy needed her walk daily it helped me to get out and stick to it as I had walked for 15 years, 365 daily.

At first I got as far as the front gate ( I have a longer driveway) then down to the corner, then all the way 1/2 mile to end of the lane, and back…

I still use the walker when I am feeling weak, but can mostly make do with my cane for walks in the woods with puppy.

At night I try to do a 2nd 20 min. walk with no cane to learn better balance, but do this in the dark so I can wobble and look off kilter without neighbors watchinig..amazing how no one is ever out after dark… I feel like the creeper going by their homes, silent, but harmless.
  #255   ^
Old Tue, May-12-15, 22:18

BF:

I too use the carts for balance.
Was spending lots of time at Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart, and grocery just walking, not buying.
Not getting enough exercise that for certain.
Good for you ladies that are getting it done.
N2L