Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 180/174/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thank you so much you two! That helps a lot!..
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 09:40

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinhat
I despise Bambi - just a rat on long legs, as far as I'm concerned. Colorado is a 'picky' state too - I have to take hunter safety this summer, and tags here are outrageous, but if I can get my act together, I plan to spend rifle season sitting on top of my barn roof, eating an apple and waiting.

I don't think I can get a license to shoot them. We are in a county that loves all things, wears tie die, and mostly rents. They have no concept the financial damage deer do. But I think I need to invest in a rifle. After all, my rose bushes allow me to walk up to 4 feet of them. I aught to be able to plug one at 4 feet....

We have used that Liquid Fence stuff, but you have to re-apply every time it rains...plus they still do some damage. They've rutted several trees completely out, and they eat a lot of leafy tips, so all our pruning is messed up now. They go around in the fall biting multiple apples too, which just makes me want to post venison recipes on all the trees.

I've used Liquid Fence for years. After a while, they eat through it. Some of the deer have developed a taste for it. And in CA, it is 42 dollars a bottle. I go through 2 bottles a month.

[/COLOR]

I've tried all the old methods. They would work if the deer had any fear of man or traps. Mine don't. They breed like rats and there are no preditors to cull the heards. I tried everything.

I can't do it any more. This summer a fence is going up. I can't afford to pay this guy to put up a high tensel fence, but I can buy the materials myself and go by the lumber yard and get a couplf of day labor guys to dig post holes. It will take me the summer to get it done, but next year I will be planting my veggie garden again.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 10:52

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
[/COLOR]

I've tried all the old methods. They would work if the deer had any fear of man or traps. Mine don't. They breed like rats and there are no preditors to cull the heards. I tried everything.

I can't do it any more. This summer a fence is going up. I can't afford to pay this guy to put up a high tensel fence, but I can buy the materials myself and go by the lumber yard and get a couplf of day labor guys to dig post holes. It will take me the summer to get it done, but next year I will be planting my veggie garden again.

Oh, garden? That's a little different. You might consider something like this:

The Shell: http://tenthingsfarm.blogspot.com/2...and-advice.html

Covered: http://tenthingsfarm.blogspot.com/2...greenhouse.html

They can't get in, which is great. It's a bit redneckish, but I live in the country, so it's OK. You could do something pretty nice for a lot less $$ than that fencing quote, for sure! It'll also keep out rabbits, hail, etc. It's working really well for me - I had lettuces and greens nearly a month early, my peas are early, and for the first time ever in this climate I think I'm going to have a stellar tomato crop!

Sorry for the thread hijack, y'all.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 12:47

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

are they low carb hint hint
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 17:36

BF:

Indeed they are, Gould - and a few posts back, I mentioned the possibility of getting my hunter safety cert. and some tags. Bonechew mentioned a rifle and freezer paper

I have venison chili in my freezer right now - along with a few rolls of venison for future projects.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 19:32

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Texasgirl, the way I understand all this is mainly that for some people, they experience a stall if they're eating skinless chicken, tinned tuna, steamed shrimp, lean beef, etc....and it can be a result of calories beign too low, or too many of the calories being protein, and not enough being fat. So if you find you are not getting results, you can check your calories - I checked and mine were too low. To increase them, I ate more 80-20 ground beef, more avocado, sausage, dark meat chicken with the skin, etc. Fattier cuts of meat will work, putting mayo in the tuna salad, making deviled eggs instead of plain hard cooked eggs, etc.

If I understand it right, there is some newer research indicating that if there is too much protein, some of it can be converted to simple sugars, but I am not sure about that (not sure if I'm understanding it right), but I can say that with my grocery budget, it is certainly more economical to eat a fattier (generally less expensive) cut of meat than to eat twice as much lean protein.

Does that help you some?

Hi Texasgirl!

This is just my humble opinion and personal experience here. I think a more moderate approach is the best way to go when your goal is to lose is a significant amount of weight. Look at all the members here who have been successful with this approach! It is an easy WOE that will work for you!

All of these plans seem to stress the "induction" phase as a motivator. And yes, it clearly is that for many folks. But the homestretch can be pretty frustrating too. And the only reason I'm kinda obsessed with mine is that it is only human to crave the satisfaction of reaching some a goal. For me, it is 145. (a 40 pound loss). I just want to GET there! But having lost more than 17 pounds in around ten weeks without ever feeling deprived or buying/cooking special things convinced me that this is the way to go! That's why I'm being a little extreme right now.

I've never been a counter. Today I was running around a lot. I had the insides of two McDonalds Breakfast Burritos and coffee with cream for breakfast. For lunch I had (Restaurant again!) I had a tuna melt (didn't eat the bread. And some coleslaw. For dinner I roasted some chicken drumstickks on the grill, then coated them with "Stubbs Original" bbq sauce. And of course my nightly 2 small glasses of Chard!

Honestly, girlfriend, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is keep a sense of humor about the whole thing! It's just ONE part of your life! I was at the hairdresser's today, for my 2 month color thing. (I think the last time I was there I was in a down snowsuit!). Someone actually asked me: :"Oh, you look great. Have you done something different with your hair?" And someone else liked my lipstick! That's what I get for ten months of dieting!

Good luck. Post us some yummy ideas from Texas!
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 02:11

Plan: my own
Stats: 267/213/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress:

What a great thread, both on fat & deer! I'm going to cut my protein down & up my fat & see what happens. I'm learning lots about the LC thing these days & am hoping to see some results soon. I guess I'll have to buy some higher fat foods, since it seems I don't have enough around the house. I've been eating about 150 to 175g of protein per day due to my strength training. I expect my strength increases will slow for now, but I guess I can focus on bulking once I'm done with the fat loss. Not a big deal. I hope this works for me too.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 10:37

BF:

Hey, I have a question for y'all. It seems to me that a higher fat protein source (say, 80/20 ground beef) tastes and works better than a lower fat protein source that I 'fat up' myself (say, a chicken breast that I cook in some butter). Has anyone else thought or noticed anything like this? Just wondering.
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 02:40

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

OK, so I'm away from my thread for a while and people are talking about shooting deer!

So back to high fats... lol

Anyways, regarding fat in meat versus added fat like butter, honestly, I think that's getting super detailed. I mean, if YOU feel you do better on one food than another, than by all means go for it.
However, I would say that animal fats are different to a dairy fat and if I had to make a fat hierarchy, than animals fats would be the best. But I would only bother to consider this by buying fatty cuts rather than lean cuts. Because yeah, why buy lean only to add fat later?
BUT, sometimes I prefer lean, like with chicken, so that I can add a specific fat, like olive oil (many use coconut oil) these have their own additional nutritional benefits.

But if you're eating high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, I wouldn't get obsessive about it.

I've been on holiday and totally fell off the wagon. I LOVE that this WOE means that rather than come home depressed at the gained weight (like I once would have done), instead, I enjoyed the eating, shrug at the weight, and know that I can get back to better eating.

Hope you're all doing great!
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 07:00

BF:

Agreed. I was just noticing it and wondering if others noticed too.

Venison is really lean....but if they continue to eat my garden and orchard....
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 09:51

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Agreed. I was just noticing it and wondering if others noticed too.

Venison is really lean....but if they continue to eat my garden and orchard....

For venison, I would do a lot of stuffing/making rolls out of it. Cutting the roast so that you end up with a flat slab of meat about 1 inch thick (or thinner) and rolling it up with bacon, cream cheese, spices, boxes of spinach, etc. on the inside. Like a cinnamon roll. I buy a cheap pork leg roast that has very little fat from the Mexican market. No fat makes it taste/feel/act just like a loin cut. So I cut the meat into a slab and roll it with fatty stuff.

Historically I’ve always used venison as stew meat. Don’t know why… But it tastes great in stew and beans, and shepard’s pie (all the things I don’t eat now). And it makes wonderful, healthy dog food.
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 12:20

BF:

Most processers will put beef tallow or pork fat in the ground venison too, which makes it really useful. I make a lot of venision chili - with either ground or the roast meat. Me, I love a medium rare steak, and properly marinated, I like venison as good as any.
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 12:34

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Most processers will put beef tallow or pork fat in the ground venison too, which makes it really useful. I make a lot of venision chili - with either ground or the roast meat. Me, I love a medium rare steak, and properly marinated, I like venison as good as any.

That sounds so nice venison chilli. I really love my spicy foods and currie s
  #119   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 02:22

Plan: my own
Stats: 267/213/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress:

I upped my fat intake to 70% of my total calorie intake several days ago as a result of this thread. My carbs are below 5%. My total calories are around 1800 per day. I've been dropping weight like crazy since I did this. I'm now at the low end of the plateau I've been stuck on for months. Hopefully I can finally break it. I've also had the energy to start working out again. All that added to the fact that I drink 1.5+ gal of water per day will hopefully spell success. I'll post again in the next week with an update.

...& good luck with the deer hunting.
  #120   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 02:44

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryphtyr
I upped my fat intake to 70% of my total calorie intake several days ago as a result of this thread. My carbs are below 5%. My total calories are around 1800 per day. I've been dropping weight like crazy since I did this. I'm now at the low end of the plateau I've been stuck on for months. Hopefully I can finally break it. I've also had the energy to start working out again.

That's excellent news!
The ratios are super, perhaps readjust your calories to break any stall after good weight loss.