Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/198/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Another NZer

Hi

I have recently found this forum and would love to meet other NZer's.

I have been doing LC for about 3 years now. Have found this the only way I can loose weight and did manage to keep it off for a long while. Lost 19 kg, but this year got slack and put 9 of them back on, so am back to strict Atkins again to remove them.

I would like to find locate some unsweetened chocolate. Have found that local health shops stock different types of flours, protein powder etc, but can't get hold of chocolate yet. Does anyone have any ideas - there must be some somewhere.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Caroline
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 20:15

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Caroline,

Great to hear from another NZer. There are 3 or 4 of us that I have discovered. Plus there is one from Dunedin (Eebee)

I too have trawled the shelves for unsweetened chocolate - to no avial. Someone here did say that Cadbury did an unsweetend sort. Maybe they only export it.

Hope second time round works for you as well as your first.

Keep in touch

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 03:22

Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello and Welcome.
Yes I am from Dunedin too. Not doing very well just now and I havent been losing weight. I am trying the Ezra Calvin plan which is low calorie as well as low carb. More things to count but it is better than the low fat version of low carb.because you don't feel hungry. My big weakness is wine- especially at this time of year. Wine itself can fit into low carb but it lowers my will-power and I end up eating something dire like chips! I am getting very frustrated with myself.

I don't think low carb chocolate is available in NZ. I have looked but haven't found any. My substitute is: whip up some cream, add some plain Naturalea Yoghurt and sweeten with Sucaryl. Add cocoa powder- as much as you want. Pretty nice and very filling. (Not low cal though so it is off the menu for me right now!)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 22:29

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 239/230/146
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy Obstacles

Hi Everyone,
I am new here too. I went on the aitkins diet in february of this year, very successfully too, managed to go from 82 kgs to 64kgs in 3 weeks. then disaster struck, I had a netball accident and recieved a head/brain injury.
Within the first 7 weeks I gained 20kg and this continued till my present weight of 93kg.
I am able to do little more than 10 mins excercise per day, very little housework and worse still I am unable to work, they say it will be another 1 - 2 years before my brain is recovered.
I have very little interest in anything now including food, i eat very little and certainly don't enjoy it.
I have been put on medication which I believe halts weight loss anyway.
I have tried to go back onto the aitkins diet a few times now, but find my brain function while on it is adding to my feeling hungover and away with the fairies.
I really want to get back into things and feeling healthy like I did when I was on the diet. Any suggestions please??????
I also find I was limited in what I coud find to eat, I live in a small town in NZ where there is one supermarket only. I have found there are not many products easily available to us here.
Any suggestions ??????
Next obstacle, I am living on welfare due to accident and unsupporting ex husband, I have one slightly overweight son and one anorexic 8 year old. I believe food is becoming a real issue for myself and the kids, if we get to eat properly we are happy.
I think I should like to start a journal, because I think I really need some support on this one.
Anyway hope to hear from anyone that might be able to help
pip
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 17:31

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

hi guys

i i have been living in australia for the last 1yr but am originally from chch.

i get Cadburys Lite Choc over here but i dont think it is avalible in nz as my sister who is a l/c has been trying to find it and cant. BUT... she gets weight watchers hot choc and mixes it up with cream and it goes kinda like mousse. She swears by it.

i make chocolate truffles with melted butter, splenda or any other kind of arf. sweetener, cocoa, coconut and almond flour. OR if you add 1/4 cup cream as well it goes like fudge. ( i think i might have to make some now)

pip, you poor thing. you sure have the odds stacked against you but dont give up. You dropped nearly 20 kg in 3 weeks!!!!!! the first time. AMAZING!!!! I have lost only 5 kg in 4 months but my shape has changed alot and the inches seem to be coming off.
I have Systemic Lupus and it affects my thyroid (which controls the metabolism) so i find it hard to lose weight. Even if you just start cutting out processed food you and your family will benefit. Does your 8 yr old have anorexia nervosa or are you just having problems getting her to eat. Both my sister and i had eating disorders while growing up and i cant imagine the devistation that it would do to an 8 yr old body. If you seriously think she has anorexia then she needs medical help and quick. Starvation and the control of food is just a symptom of a huge mental problem, like sneezing is to a cold. The real problem lies in your self esteem and needs to be addressed by professionals. Forcing an anorexic person to eat does not help as you probably know, i really hope your little child does not have anorexia yet, maybe she is starting to display early warning signs. So if you deal with it early (with councilling or whatever) then you can avoid a whole heap of problems that may follow. I was in hospital for 3 months where they TIED me up to stop me excersizing (walking up the hall to the toilet) I had fine fur-like hair growing on my back because i was so cold all the time. It is a hereditary disorder as well, does anyone else in yoour family have it?

Who would have believed that i would ever get over weight. I probably would have starved myself to death had i known. This is diet is fantastic as i know that i can contol how i am thinking and not slip back into obsessive patterns of behavior, which i do on low fat.
Sorry if i sounded like i was telling you what to do, i am not, i just know how bad it can get with eating disorders.

Let me know if either of you guys start diaries

GOOD LUCK AND MERRY LOW CARB CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sammiejam : Sun, Dec-16-01 at 18:07.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 18:06

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 239/230/146
BF:
Progress: 10%

Sammiejam, it was great to hear from you.
My daughter has what the doctor calls, anorexia due to stress, her body is eating itself away, although this is not helped with her constant desire to excercise, she has had help but has lost more weight, but on the good side she no longer vomits, i don't believe she did it on purpose though. As the situation with her father eases I believe she will come right.
thanks for sharing your story with us.
Thanks also for some sweet treat recipes too, i hate the taste of artificial sugar so jellys etc or no good to me.
Has anyone had any experience with children going low carb, my son is 60kg, he is 161 cm and size 11 (mens) shoes. He is eating so much and doing very little excercise that i am worried he will get seriously overweight and unhealthy, he lives on carbs and thinks nothing of eating a family pack of pasta and sauce for a snack, this i believe is 6 servings.
I have not started on the lowcarb eating as yet, I have been storing up meat in my freezer for the last month or so, so the expense won't be that great when i do , do it.
There is also the xmas excuse, as I am going away for xmas, my day to start will be 1st January 2002.
When I figure out how to do a diary on these pages I will start.
have a good xmas everyone
pip
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 18:27

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

to start a diary go to the bootcamp journal section.

the constant excersize and starving is not a good sign at all. It was the same with me.I did sit ups and lunges from 12.00am to 3.15 at night then i slept and then ran from 6am to 7.15 and the biked to school, weights at lunchtime and waterpolo and biking til i went to bed.This routine went for about 3 yrs. i weighed 40kg and dropped a bit lower and that is when i went into hosp.

i had huge father issues also, so did everyother girl in hospital. I think that because i had no control over my life( family situation) i could control what i ate and how much excersize i did and that was all i could control, so i did. I found out that others could even take that from me. Not a good feeling. I do know that i stopped this after i left home. I was so lucky as most of the other girls that i met i nthe hospital have ongoing problems, i used to freak out about my weight when i was low fatting and start to behave obsesively espec as i didnt seem to be able to lose the weight like i used to ( due to the thyroid problem)

an idea about excersize for your boy. Ban tv and playstation until it is dark outside. It is amaxing how boredom will make kids play.I have 2 boys aged 11 3/4 and 12 3/4. Mine are very sporty so i dont have to worry about that but they both eat a packet of pasta each for a snack and about 1/2 a loaf of bread with it. That is growing boys for ya. Just make him play cricket,rugby etc so he gets excersize. I think it is impossible to stop boys from eating so much, i have tried.

have a good day everyone