Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#331   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 11:44

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%
Default Chew On This

Diets May Improve Memory

For Carole Carson, the golden years weren't so shiny when it came to her mental clarity.

"I was sort of a retired lump on a log," said 67-year-old Carson, referring to herself seven years ago.

But after going on a restricted calorie diet, along with an exercise regime, Carson, who lives in Nevada City, Calif., lost about 50 pounds.

Her life -- and her mind -- perked up again. "Every kind of mental function improved," Carson said.

Many people who have cut calories experience the "mental clarity" and increased creativity Carson said was an unexpected benefit of a healthier lifestyle.

Now, researchers have shown a definite link between caloric restriction (CR) and mental function, according to a study published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Along with her overall well-being, Carson said she noticed clear cognitive benefits from CR after just a few months of her new diet.

Radha Chitale - ABC News Medical Unit

Short video Here or perhaps it was Here?

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Wed, Jul-01-09 at 22:23. Reason: link
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 15:16

Default Calorie Restriction - Breast Cancer

Epidemiological data has suggested that inducing a so-called "negative energy balance" (where less energy is taken in than expended) through eating a low-calorie diet or increasing exercise levels, decreases the postmenopausal breast cancer risk.

Blood levels of leptin, a hormone that plays a role in fat metabolism, were significantly reduced in the calorie-restricted and exercised mice compared to the controls. The calorie-restricted mice also displayed increased blood levels of adiponectin, a hormone produced in fat tissue that regulates some metabolic processes, compared to the exercised mice.

These data suggest that although exercise can act on similar pathways as caloric restriction, caloric restriction possesses a more global effect on cell signaling and, therefore, may produce a more potent anti-cancer effect.

American Association for Cancer Research

Btw, researchers have determined that by eating the equivalent of a handful of walnuts every day, women significantly reduce their risk of breast cancer.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Jul-02-09 at 15:29.
  #333   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 15:21

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

BoBo, I've been playing with that CRON meter you had posted somewhere a while back, and I'm amazed at how accurate it is. I have Fitday on my computer, and never thought to question the numbers, assuming they used the USDA info for food. It was when I entered coffee, of all things, into the CRONmeter and it showed a much higher level of b5 and riboflavin than my fitday did that I thought to go to the USDA site and see who was closer.
I no longer feel guilty for drinking 120 ounces of coffee per day
  #334   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT

BoBo, I've been playing with that CRON meter you had posted somewhere a while back, and I'm amazed at how accurate it is.

CRON-O-Meter is free, open source, and cross-platform dieting software.

Features:

Includes nutritional information on over 7000 foods from the latest USDA data sources.

Food editor for creating custom foods.

Recipe editor to create new foods built from sets of other foods.

Import and export foods and recipes to share with other users.

Set personal targets for each nutrient, or use the official DRIs.

Track and chart your biometrics (weight, blood pressure, temperature, etc...).

Generate detailed reports on your nutritional information.

Free Download Here

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Jul-02-09 at 16:55.
  #335   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 20:40

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Suet, I find the Cronometer somewhat cumbersome, but I also use FitDay and have for years. I am somewhat a creature of habit and it is easier for me to enter custom foods on Fitday, but I will explore the Cronometer further.
  #336   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 11:57

Default 60 Minutes Science News

Scientists Finally Discover ANTI-AGING Secret

For years, people have been marveling at extended life expectancies of Europeans who drink red wine daily. Now the secret has been uncovered. Resveratrol has been at the center of ground-breaking anti-aging research and more recently, has been provided in a purified form for daily consumption.

Resveratrol is an all natural supplement with some of the highest level anti-oxidants on the market. It is commonly found in Red Wine through grape pulp. Rich molecules provide a natural detoxification of muscle and fat tissue that are caused by years of build up due to airborn and terrestrial toxins. By consuming a safe daily dose of Resveratrol, you can start the break down process which will naturally help shed pounds and trim fatty areas.

We typically only receive 40-50% of the nutrients of the foods we eat! This is due mainly to overcooking, fertilization, in-organic foods that we consume every day. The excess non-essential components in the food we eat are transformed into toxins that hide inside fat tissue for years, or even decades.

Resveratrol is rich in anti-oxidants which has the effect of reversing the build-up of these toxins. Within days of use, Resveratrol can show results in your tummy, waist, legs, and other hard to slim areas.. without reducing caloric intake or exercise!

Studies at Harvard Medical School and the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Biology have found that resveratrol, a natural compound found in the skin of red grapes and hence in red wine, may radically reduce the risk not only of heart disease but also of age related illnesses such as Alzheimer's disease. It might also counter the effects of a high-fat diet and even prolong life."

Resveratrol, a nutrient found in red wine, keeps estrogen from causing breast cancer in test-tube studies. Resveratrol increases production of an enzyme that destroys dangerous estrogen metabolites.

Resveratrol has the ability to prevent the first step that occurs when estrogen starts the process that leads to cancer. Scientists believe that this could stop the whole progression that leads to breast cancer down the road. This is dramatic because it was able to be done with fairly low concentrations of resveratrol.

Please Watch This CBS Video.

I've taken This for years.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Fri, Jul-03-09 at 15:31. Reason: better link
  #337   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 13:03

BF:

BoBo at about a buck a pill how many pills do you take a day. I remain skeptical that this is pharmaceutical grade Resveratrol.
http://www.articlearchives.com/scie.../2249123-1.html
  #338   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 16:19
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Lightbulb Why CR extends lifespans 40%

Quote:
Identifying the receptor may allow researchers to design drugs that mimic the signal and could lead to new treatments for age-related diseases. This could enable us to reap the health benefits of calorie restriction without adhering to extreme diets in which the satisfying feel of a full stomach is strictly off limits.
Always looking for the 'easy pill' solution? Well, I suggest we just eat less or skip meals now and then, but that won't make anyone rich or famous

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90624152811.htm
  #339   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d

Always looking for the 'easy pill' solution? Well, I suggest we just eat less or skip meals now and then.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90624152811.htm

Mike, totally agree with the above suggestion.

I might recommend that in addition to eating less, we should consume nutrient-dense nutrient-rich low carb/calorie foods.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Fri, Jul-03-09 at 21:42. Reason: remove word
  #340   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1

BoBo at about a buck a pill how many pills do you take a day. I remain skeptical that this is pharmaceutical grade Resveratrol.

http://www.articlearchives.com/scie.../2249123-1.html

Dazed, I take one Advantage capsule twice daily. With their purchase 3 get 1 free offer, it’s about 81 cents per dose.

If skeptical of the grade, perhaps e-mail company founder Bill Sardi at bsardi~aol.com or call him at 909-596-9507. I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to address any concerns.

Btw, I’m not for a moment promoting any particular brand.

Best wishes.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Sat, Jul-04-09 at 13:38. Reason: add link
  #341   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 16:18

BF:

BoBo, I think you will find this interesting reading.
http://www.benefits-of-resveratrol....upplements.html
  #342   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 21:16
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default How to live past 100

I saw this on Nightline, I couldn't get the ABC slow, IE centric websites to work right so I found it on mefeedia also (requires 1GB RAM and Broadband w/Xp or Vista):

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7999201

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/how-t...orever/20302236

One guy claimed CR made his eyesight go back to 20/20 even though he is years older now!

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Jul-05-09 at 10:17. Reason: ABC Link
  #343   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 13:49

Default Forever Young

Extend Your Human Use By Date

It's one of our oldest dreams, to discover the fountain of youth. A mystical potion, the key to eternal life.

12 minute video HERE

If desired, right click on video then select full screen.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Sun, Jul-05-09 at 15:45.
  #344   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 18:12

Default Live Healthier Longer

Calorie restriction—a scientific term meaning under-nutrition without malnutrition—is now being touted as the latest fountain-of-youth secret for extending the human "health span" and possibly the life span. Gerontologists, oncologists, biochemists and biologists engaged in calorie restriction studies on lab animals, believe they've found an effective way to stave off cancers, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer's and many other ailments. Staying hungry and living lean, say some researchers, is the only mechanism scientifically known to slow down the aging process and prevent age-related illnesses.

This comes as little surprise to children's book author Shannon Vyff, 33, of Round Rock. For the past eight years, she has been a member of the Calorie Restriction Society, a loosely connected international "community" devoted to austere eating for healthy purposes.

It took her just six months on CR to lose 85 pounds. "There was an adjustment period at first. But I started to like the foods that were healthy for me. The hardest thing was cutting out some of the things that I loved eating, like pasta and breads."

She eats red meat once every two weeks and prefers it cooked rare. Her daily calorie count hovers around 1,200 if she's not exercising; 1,600 to 1,800 if she runs on the treadmill.

She credits CR with helping her pass her latest driving test without glasses for the first time. Her chronic knee pain disappeared, and her energy level zoomed, she says. Vyff's husband, Michael Trice, 32, also follows the CR plan, with occasional lapses for desserts shared with their kids.

And do they think living on less food will let them live to be 100 or older? "Why not? If everyone started following a calorie restriction lifestyle, they may possibly extend life by decades and be healthier in the middle years."

Elaine Liner - Dallas Observer

Bo
  #345   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 20:16

BF:

The problem remains how to get the Resveratrol. The study I posted indicated that drinking the wine is the best with the powder next and the pill form last. The key appears to be that it is best absorbed in the mouth. Heck I like red wine, but I was trying to avoid the calories.
Closed Thread