Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#3691   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Raw Meat Only
Stats: 183/176/198 Male 179,5 cm
BF:
Progress:

A study about muscle fuel under different training intensity:

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/full/536/1/295

The subjects followed a high carb low fat eating protocol. They speculate that the "measured" relative decrease of FFA oxidation when training intensity passed a certain level is related to decreased levels of free carnitine. Fatty acid availability did not decrease. Maybe free carnitine levels are more easily maintained in a keto adapted person. Speculation upon speculation...
Sponsored Links
  #3692   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 15:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's a lot of "truthiness" in this thread.
  #3693   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:03

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Ah, Mr Bear, my comments were not aimed at you, as I know you will simply ignore any comments I make.

I merely wanted to make clear to everyone else that insulin is a protein, and all your protestations cannot make it not so. Anyone can find this information quite simply on the internet, or by looking at any medical or scientific text book.

Rosebud

Insulin is a hormone.
  #3694   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

This is day 68 on the all-meat diet for me.
Yesterday, my doctor adjusted DOWN the amount of dessicated thyroid I have been taking for the last four years. She said I was overcompensated ... suddenly!
Is it diet-related? And if yes, how would a zero-carb woe influence the thyroid efficiency?
  #3695   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:15

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi-p
Insulin is a hormone.
Yes, and it is also a protein. The two are not mutually exclusive.
  #3696   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein
A study about muscle fuel under different training intensity:

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/full/536/1/295

The subjects followed a high carb low fat eating protocol. They speculate that the "measured" relative decrease of FFA oxidation when training intensity passed a certain level is related to decreased levels of free carnitine. Fatty acid availability did not decrease. Maybe free carnitine levels are more easily maintained in a keto adapted person. Speculation upon speculation...
Wonderful article, Klein. This is the sort of "black box busting" study we need on this thread!

Of course, WAY BACK in post #324 I asked Bear about this VERY thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
I am confused as to this glycogen use during activity. What I have heard is glycogen stores in the muscle are ALWAYS used if a burst of energy is needed, like to sprint real hard, or to lift something very heavy. It is an "on demand" energy source. Glycogen is also used at first when one begins an activity, say walking. Then there will be a mix of glucose and fat for energy, and the longer the activity, the higher the percentage of fat will be in that mix. Also, I have heard that in the morning if you exercise before eating, you will be able to use up your glycogen stores quickly, and then start using fat for fuel, because the glycogen stores will be low due to metabolic use during sleep (with no dietary replacement). Is this all just some myth or misinformation? Could someone please explain how this works?... at least how they understand it. It seems as though there are different schools of thought on this for sure.

Thanks. I really want to understand how this works... and the different points of view (and the reasons behind these views).
BTW... although they mentioned the substantial increase in lactate levels after exercise became more intense, especially during high-intensity exercise (because the flux through the glycolytic pathway and the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex reaction would greatly exceed the flux through the TCA cycle... in other words, anearobic respiration).

Perhaps there may be an adaptation to higher cytosolic concentration of carnitine in an FFA-adapted individual? However, how would this ever obviate the need for the glycolytic pathway (using glucose) to get involved, under anearobic conditions?

Look deep into the black-box.....
  #3697   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
A correction: I have been using the term "gluconeogenesis" to refer only to the production of glucose from protein, a process that has an efficiency of 58%. In fact, the term also refers to the production of glucose from glycerol.
ubizmo, this was covered WAY BACK in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
Under prolonged fasting conditions, which partly mimic eucaloric zero carb intake*, about 75% of the GNG-produced glucose is from protein; the remainder is from glycerol.

*Key difference between fasting and a calorically adequate zero carb diet is, of course, that in the eucaloric diet the protein doesn't have to come from muscle tissue if there's adequate dietary protein.
The use of muscle tissue would be to spare the bodyfat in a starving person. See... fat IS the preferred macro and micro nutrient for our bodies.

Main thing is, although Bear was the one who brought up the glycerol being used for glucose needs, he never fully understood the GNG pathway that was used by the liver. I guess physiology is not his "strong suit".
  #3698   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
... Or that GNG does not play a role in glucose homeostasis on a carnivorous diet or in carnivorous animals...
So, Wooo... on a zero-carb diet, after becoming fully FFA/keto-adapted, would glycerol be used as the substrate, or amino acids?
  #3699   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Is it diet-related? And if yes, how would a zero-carb woe influence the thyroid efficiency?
Only the "black-box" knows for sure!
  #3700   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Insulin is a hormone.

Ahem! I think Rosebud KNOWS that! I just love it when one nurse corrects another one like she is actually revealing a big secret! LOL
  #3701   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Ahem! I think Rosebud KNOWS that! I just love it when one nurse corrects another one like she is actually revealing a big secret! LOL

I was not correcting, just adding. Sorry if I offended you.
  #3702   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
I was not correcting, just adding. Sorry if I offended you.

You didn't offend me at all, but I believe the subject had already been covered several pages ago.
  #3703   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
This is day 68 on the all-meat diet for me.
Yesterday, my doctor adjusted DOWN the amount of dessicated thyroid I have been taking for the last four years. She said I was overcompensated ... suddenly!

I have heard of people decreasing their thyroid because they have lost weight. There is an equation for determining dosing range that is based on weight. The equation is posted in the thyroid area.
  #3704   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
You didn't offend me at all, but I believe the subject had already been covered several pages ago.

I have a life other than this Thread; I guess I missed the post where this was "already covered several pages ago."
  #3705   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:37

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Ok, I guess it has finally come to the end for me.

The thread has become infested with parasites who take our time but don't contribute anything but noise.

I began this to inform people who have a bodyfat problem about the highly 'unsocial' diet that is our evolution-imposed real diet.

First I encountered those who are addicted to 'some' veggies. Then those who are compulsive counters of calories and readers of 'scientific' studies which contradict my experiences. This was followed by the pedantic control freaks who 'know' that my lifestyle is flawed. After that the parasites who cling to their acculturation and feel obligated to attack and render useless anything which contradicts their belief systems.

The final straw was the ******** who impugned my knowledge of the cancer which threatened my life. This ********* finally brought me to the realisation that I am simply wasting my time wading through a daily pile of hundreds of meaningless unproductive posts to find a genuine question from the few who are really interested in changing their body shape, health and lifestyle.

SO, it has been an interesting trip, thanks to those who CAN follow and have supported me, but I am now departing to leave the thread to the parasites and mercenaries who have stolen it.

Any one who is interested in the path and has any genuine questions on how to implement this controversial way of eating is welcome to visit my website and send me an e/mail.

Goodbye and- 'Thanks for all the fish'.

Last edited by tamarian : Sat, May-06-06 at 17:57. Reason: personal insults removed.
Closed Thread