Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 15:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
You cannot over indulge in anything and expect to be losing weight and be healthy just by getting rid of it through exercise. That is diseased thinking and I am wondering if and when I see this in journals, should this be reported?

Judy, let me clarify something here. Please don't go around reporting posts where members are doing something that you don't happen to think is 'healthy behavior'. What I was referring to in my earlier posts are members who are already very thin and looking for tips on how to get thinner or members who are engaging in purging/vomiting after a binge. In other words, a clear problem is present. I wouldn't consider extra excercise after a cheat to fall into the category of 'iminent danger' to a member even if it's probably not terribly effective and I also need to point out that there are a couple of plans that actually involve 'carbing up' on high sugar/low fat foods and then exercising strenuosly for the purpose of building muscle (CKD comes to mind) so you might want to make sure that they aren't doing something along those lines before jumping to the conclusion of 'exercise bulemia'.
We don't want to encourage dangerous dieting, but we don't want to turn into the diet police, either.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 16:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

OK Lisa!! I hear you!!

I don't wanna be a diet police either but......... when I see binging and purging in the form of exercise, I know its not about being healthy and developing muscles.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 17:40
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Thanks for your input Lisa!
This has been an interesting discussion. I feel more comfortable now. I'm afraid that in any group you are going to find those who run to an extreme. Whether it's eating or exercise. It's amazing how something that is so healthy and life sustaining can be twisted and warped. I think most of us in these forums experience these extremes to lesser degrees. I know that if I screw myself down to tight in one direction that I will rebound into the other. It's my quest now to find the center. That's where I will be healthy.
I pray that every Being finds that center for themselves!
Signey
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 17:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/207/154 Female 163 cm
BF:43%/38%/27%
Progress: 41%

What an interesting thread to read.
There are so many good points.
One that stands out its binging and then throwing up, is NOT the way to loose weight.
I used to be bulemic, and its something I always struggle with. (not that I do it now)
It been 15 yrs since Ive had the major trouble, and as soon as Ive had it with my weight, my first thought is to purge. I dont, because Im now smarter and wiser. It totally wrecked my body. It wrecked my metabolizm, and my self worth.
And just one point about Journals, sometimes we may write in it what we are THINKING, but know its totally silly. But write it down, so its sort of like an hearing ear. I know thats how i use my journal. I think if people red mine they would be a little concerned too, but I know Im doing ok, and when I get down my thinking ability stuffs up But as long as I stick to my plan, tomorrow will be a better day, no matter what my sick brain says

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your thread, thank you

Fiona
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 18:18
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Thank you Fiona.
You're right that we do use our journals to try on different hats and to explore our feelings about things. Just because we do write about something we are exploring it doesn't mean that there is a real issue there.
I'm glad that you brought this to the discussion.
Signey
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 19:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
when I see binging and purging in the form of exercise, I know its not about being healthy and developing muscles.

I think we need to be very careful with assuming what we do and do not know about any individual poster. You might be right about that, but you also might not be right. The fact is, the vast majority of members here are total strangers even if they do bare their souls in posts here. We know only what they choose to share with us and have to accept on trust that it is true and as accurate as they can make it. Those are not always good assumptions, unfortunately, but it's all we have to work with.
Some situations are very obvious. For example, a female who is 5' 6" tall does not need to weigh 100 pounds no matter how small boned she claims to be. Other situations are a little more difficult to say whether there's a potential problem or not. For example, I'm 5' 3" tall and while I'd never consider trying to reach a goal of 105 pounds, it might be reasonable for someone who has a very small frame; height alone is not enough information in that case.
FWIW, I'm glad to read that the concern is there and that you care enough to say something about it.
When it comes down to it, Signey summed it up nicely; for the most part, we are all adults here and responsible for our own behavior and actions. We can all question and suggest when we think another poster may have or be developing a problem but the ultimate responsibility to do something about it is theirs alone.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 09:23

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 149/147/133 Female 5ft2
BF:dont know/32%/25%
Progress: 13%

the post that stayed on my mind was the one where the "child" of 13 almost 14 wants to drop alot of weight in a very short period of time.if i had not seen the post where judy pointed out that this was a child i would not have known it was a little girl asking our advice.on her profile she had listed no age.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 09:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good point Sherry!

The only reason I knew she was 14 is that I went and looked at her other posts to get information about her. she did sound young in her original post...thats why I tried to figure it out.

I won't be making any reports Lisa ...not to worry...I did want to bring out this subject though as it does happen and I wanted to point it out as another form of ED.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 20:21

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Our concern for each other is wonderful. I know I've seen the some of the posts Judy has talked about. Its good to know that the moderators do take action.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I did learn more about some of this.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 05:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

i agree that concern is wonderful. i also feel it is important to remember that the only person one can change is themselves.