Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 12:42
Chud

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Bacon-Smothered Green Beans

Bacon-Smothered Green Beans

servings: 8

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. of haricot verts or thin green beans, trimmed
  • 1/2 lbs. bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 5 Shallots, minced (about a cup)
  • 1 Clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour
  • 1 Cup of chicken broth
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of sherry wine
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of black pepper
Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the beans. Cook until just tender. About 2-5 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a bowl with ice water. When the beans are finished cooking, drain them and transfer to the ice water bath to stop the cooking process. When cool, drain them and put aside.
  2. In a 12" skillet over medium-high heat, render the bacon until crisp and set aside on a paper towel.
  3. To the skillet add the shallots and garlic and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
  4. Stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes
  5. Add the broth, sherry, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until thickened.
  6. Add the green beans and toss while cooking, about 3-5 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle with bacon bits that were set aside and serve
5g. protien
17g. fat
10g carbs
3g fiber
3g sugar
466mg sodium

Last edited by Chud : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 13:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

This is EXCELLENT! DH makes a very similar version (no sherry, no flour) and it is to die for. His original recipe included potatoes so he would never make this because I was LC'ing. Then on day he figured out that if he removed the potatoes, I could eat it. GOOD STUFF! We have it all the time.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 13:25
Chud

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspine17
This is EXCELLENT! DH makes a very similar version (no sherry, no flour) and it is to die for. His original recipe included potatoes so he would never make this because I was LC'ing. Then on day he figured out that if he removed the potatoes, I could eat it. GOOD STUFF! We have it all the time.
Hi Sun,

You are so right, I love to make this recipe. Who is DH? Does he use a substitute thickener? I don't mind the flour in there because it comes out to 7 carbs per serving after you take away the fiber count. I know 7 is a lot for some peeps on here but since I workout every day, I can get away with it. If I can find a good substitute for the flour I would do it in a heart beat though. Thank you again for replying. Hope to run into you more on here.

Cheers,

Chud

Last edited by Chud : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 13:26.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 13:29
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Yummy sounding recipe Chud... I will have to try it.. I love shallots.. and i haven't really had a good recipe for green beans.. so I haven't been eating them.. but i will go for this...

I do have a can of Atkin's bake mix... do you suppose that would sub well?? I haven't even opened it yet.. guess i should huh?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 14:15

BF:

DH= dear husband-- or damn husband depending on what kind of mood I'm in

He does not use any thickener but he uses less liquid so it's not too watery. I've just discovered xantham gum as a thickener (used it for the turkey gravy-- AWESOME! No carbs!). Maybe next time I'll ask him to use more broth and well try to thicken it with that. It seems like it would be really good with a little more sauce to it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:05
Chud

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle
Yummy sounding recipe Chud... I will have to try it.. I love shallots.. and i haven't really had a good recipe for green beans.. so I haven't been eating them.. but i will go for this...

I do have a can of Atkin's bake mix... do you suppose that would sub well?? I haven't even opened it yet.. guess i should huh?

Not sure on that one Rach. I have never tried Atkins bake mix but if you try it, let us know the outcome.

Cheers,

Chud
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:06
Chud

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
DH= dear husband-- or damn husband depending on what kind of mood I'm in

He does not use any thickener but he uses less liquid so it's not too watery. I've just discovered xantham gum as a thickener (used it for the turkey gravy-- AWESOME! No carbs!). Maybe next time I'll ask him to use more broth and well try to thicken it with that. It seems like it would be really good with a little more sauce to it.

Karen mentioned xantham gum. Where can I find that so I can experiment with it?

Chud
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:17

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I found mine in a local nutrition store... been seeing it around in specialty food grocery stores as well.

Good luck!
Wynter
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:06
Chud

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter
I found mine in a local nutrition store... been seeing it around in specialty food grocery stores as well.

Good luck!
Wynter

Kewl, thanx Wynter! There is a health food store real close to me I can check.

Cheers,

Chud
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:12

BF:

Also, don't know if you have a Whole Foods in your area but that's where I found mine.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:45
Chud

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Also, don't know if you have a Whole Foods in your area but that's where I found mine.

When I was working for Broadwing in Austin Texas, there was a Whole Foods there that I use to frequent quit heavily. That place rocks! Wish we could get one here in New Orleans.

Cheers,

Chud
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 18:36

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey Chud I use Thicken Thin not/Starch thickener. I order it from the Atkins catalog. It is pricey but goes a long way. It counts out as no carbs per serving.

I like it and to have gravy with it is great.

Linda
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 12:24
Chud

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy
Hey Chud I use Thicken Thin not/Starch thickener. I order it from the Atkins catalog. It is pricey but goes a long way. It counts out as no carbs per serving.

I like it and to have gravy with it is great.

Linda
Hi Linda,

Thanx for the reply. I have heard about Thicken Thin from a couple of other people who really like it as well. Never knew I was going to have so many low carb choices. Tis a good thing.

Thanx again,

Chud

Last edited by Chud : Thu, Dec-04-03 at 11:50.