Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/182/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Talking Bagged Baby Spinach

This is not a recipe, so don't know if it belongs in this forum or not. Anyway, it is a good idea I had recently. I have just realized how fabulous this product is for making quick salads. Salads are wonderful, my favourite food in fact, and I feel like I have died and gone to heaven because I'm "allowed" to have them all the time with real dressings instead of the low-fat and fat-free nightmares I've had for years. Anyway, like many others I have a job, kids, dh, house, dog, cats, fish and garden to look after and often there is not enough time to cook the way I like to. I wash lettuce and bag it in the fridge and usually the last half goes rotten before I get to it. I have started making salads with the bagged baby spinach (I believe it is .4 carb gms per 1 cup which is pretty darn low), it is already pre-washed and dried, seems to keep forever, tastes fabulous and is far more nutritious than lettuce. At first I thought it was too expensive to use on a regular basis, then I realized that I never throw any out, whereas
I always seem to be throwing gooey lettuce out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 06:47

Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

What a good idea! My family has not joined me in my craze for salad, and I end up throwing stuff away, too, because I can't eat it all! Thanks for sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

In my next life, my favorite food will be salad! Boy, do I envy you

I do like bagged spinach, though. I cook it. Tastes great, you just have to rinse it -- no grit. I'll eat the whole bag for dinner and feel very, very virtuous
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 17:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I recently bought a bag of washed baby spinach. It was quite a bit cheaper than the bagged romaine lettuce I had been buying, and it's lasted a lot longer! Tastes great as any kind of salad, too. I'm a convert. *sings the Popeye song*
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 07:28
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post Its very useful too

I love baby spinach because you can use it in salads, fry it in butter for a side dish, use it in a stuffing for a chicken breast and you can add it to sauces or quiches very easily. Its wonderful!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 21:45
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I've never been a spinach salad fan. But I picked up a bag on the baby spinach on the weekend for a change from lettuce.

It's fabulous! I had a terrific salad the other night for dinner and have been eating leftovers ever since.

On two cups of spinach, I layered 1 thin slice of onion (in rings), 3 chopped Kalamata olives, .5 c. satueed mushrooms, bit of Italian sausage, crumbled, and some grilled chicken. Bit of garlic onion gouda on the side. Salad dressing made from mayo and sun dried tomato oil. Topped off by 1 oz finely grated asiago. Super delicious and very low carb. My DH had the same toppings on pasta, but my salad was so good I didn't even miss the pasta.

I can't wait to try some other spinach salad variations. Like prawns....mmmmm.

Kaillean