Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 18:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Arrow Delicious chicken!!

I was really craving enchiladas last night....so I kind of started tinkering around in the kitchen and threw this together...my husband loved it and so did I!

8 chicken tenders
half an onion(sliced into thin rings)
a small tomato(chopped_
1 tbs butter
1 garlic clove(chopped)
olive oil

I heated the olive oil in a skillet over med/high heat then added the chopped garlic. Let that turn just golden and then add the onions. Stir until the onions begin to get soft and at this time add chicken. Brown on both sides (I used tenders, which cook pretty fast...they took about 3-4 minutes each side) once chicken is browned and cooked thru....remove from pan, leaving the onion-garlic mixture in pan. I added the chopped tomato and butter at this point. As the butter was melting I used my spatula to scrape all the little brown bits off the bottom of the pan and this mixed with the butter, onions and juice from the tomotoes gave a lovely reddish brown sauce. Once the the butter is completely melted and the tomato starts to soften down...add the chicken back into the pan and cover with mixture. I covered the chicken with a handful of grated cheddar and closd the lid so it all melted over the chicken. I served it with a spoonful of sour cream on top and this tasted like we were eating out! It was really good. Hope you enjoy!

YUMM!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 23:02

Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

sounds really good. sue
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/234/190 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

That sounds really nice, but what exactly are chicken tenders
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 21:56
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

According to the USDA, chicken tenders are strips of chicken breast meat. However, that is not a 'rule' or 'law'. Some are even made of ground chicken that has been formed into a strip, although these are usually breaded, and are common in restaurants.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 22:09

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks!!! We'll most certainly try this!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 23:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins w/whole food focus
Stats: 340/262/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
According to the USDA, chicken tenders are strips of chicken breast meat. However, that is not a 'rule' or 'law'. Some are even made of ground chicken that has been formed into a strip, although these are usually breaded, and are common in restaurants.

Chicken tenders in the raw are usually strips of breast meat. I wouldn't think this recipe would work well with the breaded kind! I usually find them with boneless/skinless chicken breasts.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-10, 02:22

Stats: 244/234/190 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys. Here in Europe we call them Goujons. I'll try this soon.

Re breaded - isn't considered poor form on a low carb forum?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-10, 14:03
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Joe
Thanks guys. Here in Europe we call them Goujons. I'll try this soon.

Re breaded - isn't considered poor form on a low carb forum?
I was just explaining that they are sometimes made of ground chicken and then breaded, not recommending that anyone on LC eat them breaded. In fact, I happen to consider the breast meat of any fowl, except duck or goose, to be inedible, because of the low of fat content. I wouldn't waste my money buying chicken tenders or chicken breasts. JMO.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-10, 23:19

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

In Canada, it's been my experience that chicken tenders are that thin strip of the chicken breast on each side of the keel bone that separates easily from the main breast meat, also known as the tenderloin. I could certainly be wrong, but ...

Mostly, I'm with Kisal! When I buy a whole chicken, I usually throw the breast in the soup pot with the bones and uneaten fatty bits for stock. If I have a chicken soup going, I'll cut the breast in chunks and add it, along with some extra fat (butter is always good!). Or, during bbq season, they make a nice appetizer cut into bite size pieces, wrapped in bacon, and grilled.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you can add enough fat to them, even the breasts are edible, even tasty and enjoyable! That said, the OP's recipe sound good, but I think I'd add more fat in the form of butter - I don't much like the flavour of olive oil (just my personal taste!).
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 07:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Maybe it's just in Canada, but I've seen the same thing as Glenda. Chicken breasts are often on sale, and it will say on the label, "tenders removed" or something like that.

I've come to really dislike the texture of chicken leg meat. I hate all the veins and gristly bits. I always have such a stockpile of chicken fat in the fridge, that I'm fine with chicken breasts. It's easy to make a sauce for them out of melted chicken fat + (use your creativity here.) Salsa is one of my faves. Flavoured cream cheese is great if you eat dairy. The chicken fat adds a flavour that can't be replicated, and it's so fast an easy. Just pop it all in the microwave.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 14:01

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
In Canada, it's been my experience that chicken tenders are that thin strip of the chicken breast on each side of the keel bone that separates easily from the main breast meat, also known as the tenderloin. I could certainly be wrong, but ...

Nope, you're right... that is the "tenderloin" portion of the chicken, from the breast.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 12:14

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

This does sound really delicious. I'm a fan of dark meat though so i'll be making my version with thighs instead.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 09:24

Stats: 116/116/113 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default This IS deicious!

Bebe 123, thank you for this recipe. I followed it to a T and me and my husband really enjoyed. It has become a repeat in our house. Any ideas for a side?