Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 15:34

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Yes, beans and lentils or any type of those legumes
are off the charts. But who needs them anyway except for
a vegetarian when you can have a nice ribeye!

A very good point. It's just still so hard after almost 4 weeks of low carb to get that 3rd plate item out of my head. The brain is trained, "meat, starch(ish),veggie". It was hard enough over the years to convince myself to not have the 4th...the holy grail of carbs...yeast bread...and for my wife, the 5th...sweets! (after dinner). She has been incredible, I just cant believe she wont even eat my Atkin's treats. I only have 1/3 of a serving but she is not having any. But the zero sugar diet allows more carbs...so...there's that...

Tonight we'll have that third item...zucchini noodles! Plus green beans. Keto breaded chicken with Bearnaise over the zucchini spirals like they are pasta.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 17:27

BF:
Default So...6lbs just like that, gone?

You all are NOT going to believe this. Well, maybe you've seen this before...but anyway...Just 4 days ago on Monday I was lamenting gaining 2lbs back.

Stepped on the scale for the first time since then, this evening. 6 lbs down in 4 days.

The difference in my diet? I went back to 1/2 a 11.5oz can of V8 every morning with my supplements/pills, started having a serving of fruit at lunch every day, usually an orange and the most bizarre of all...I fell of the wagon and started drinking liquor again. Not a sloppy mess drunk, and no beer, only a little wine and otherwise all no-sugar no carbs distilled spirits. Mostly vodka.

Dropped from 213lbs to 207 lbs in 4 days.

I HAD been feeling like my belly was pulling tighter...like I'm standing more like a fit man...more "proud" if you will. I have done zero exorcise...I haven't even started a real exorcise regime. I work in front of a computer most days sitting down!

That's just bizarre. Buy like Jey said, I cant let the scale control my mental health! But today would be one of the days it's providing therapy!

I'll take it! 18 lbs in 25 days. That's better than the diet commercials...I'm 1/3 to my goal in less than a month...hard to believe.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Fri, Jan-26-18 at 17:35.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 05:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Congratulations on losing 18 pounds in 25 days.
But yes, we have seen that story before.

That quote in post 26 is from two of the top low carb researchers who have been studying this diet for over 30 years. In all those years, they haven’t figured out why the body's four pound "grey zone" of weight moves as it does, but one thing I notice myself is that alcohol is dehydrating.

Leading to posts along the lines of "I went out Saturday night, had a big meal and drinks and lost weight"...until it comes back. But if you "feel thinner" you may indeed have had the fabled "woosh' (re-read why the scales lie and watch Nurse Cindy's video) or you are just one of those irritating men who lose weight rapidly and continuously. Whatever. ..if the scale goes up or down tomorrow...you are on your way to a healthier low carb lifestyle ....except going back to alcohol. You will be most successful if you make it a rare treat until at your goal weight.

It is not the calories and carbs of alcohol that will stop your weight loss, but "oxidative priority". The body perceives alcohol as a toxin and has no mechanism to store it, so will burn it first before carbs, and lastly fat.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...3&postcount=160

And http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/ketogenic-champagne/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-27-18 at 05:45.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 11:24

BF:

That was probably the most positive "buzzkill" I've read!

All of it completely making sense.

We'll see if I'm one of those irritating men. It would be just like my life to be able to drink and still lose weight. That feeds the little "you da man" devil poking my alcoholic side. One thing after another has nearly taken me out of the drinking game, high liver numbers (not sclerosis level) that clean up after abstention meaning no serious damage from years of chronic abuse...even Acute Pancreatitis, a potentially lethal condition...then the recurrence of the pancreas problem simply faded after several near misses...blood near normal again and not even a hint of the pancreas issue anymore.

While I love drinking and wish I could do all I want as long as I want, I know in my 50's that party clock is nearing midnight, and my luck starts to run out. Dang it!

Good news is, the LC diet makes my usual high tolerance lower, so I drink less to achieve the same goal. The other good news is drinking makes me happy (yes, I've been through the medical issues as well as therapy, even a university study participant on the subject, and still nothing breaks through the power of the booze itself, including common sense). I'm not one of those miserable drunks stigmatized by the "typical", I get happy and I also stay very productive in life. It doesn't drag me down very much and I dont "day drink".

Back to food...if this weight loss continues, I will be a low carber for life for sure and I will consider myself a very lucky man. I am truly blessed when compared to so many other people. I have a very large extended family, I have stories on top of stories of how life and health can be, even for those that lived a "good life" regarding booze, foods, etc.. I've been to the funerals even of friends and long time coworker associates who died at my age, my boss (not much older) is going in for his third surgery for A-Fib, a condition that hospitalized me at age 30...still under control and a healthy blood pressure controlled by only one script easily.

Yes, a lucky man indeed. If I knew I was to die tomorrow I would still say that.

Thanks for all the info and advice!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-18, 10:38

BF:

I'm not one to post in support forums or keep a journal. I have even told very few people I'm losing weight. My daughter only found out recently (shes lives 100 miles away and we dont see her a lot).

So, as you can read, I use this, my introduction thread to update. It really makes the most sense because almost everyone's journey here probably starts right here in this forum with a "here we go, I'm starting my diet" post. you can see my evolution from paranoid about the web site, to learning a lot from the good people here.

You can see my last post was 18 pounds in 18 days. Well THAT pace of losing quickly stopped! Mostly because I started drinking again, stalling my progress...and the first couple/three weeks from what I gather is always the fastest, that's how all the TV commercials can claim it. It's real, you CAN lose 15 pounds in a month on any real diet you dont cheat on.

So I began moderating my drinking again, drinking only on the weekends and sticking very strictly to the low carb diet otherwise and have slowly continued to lose weight. I think posting that all here should be inspiration for new dieters to see from the beginning, from the "hello I'm new here" first post, to where I am today.

Today I stand at 50% of goal. That's right, I started January 1 this year (2018) at 225 pounds with a goal of 50 pounds of weight loss. For the first time in years my scale (its calibrated to be really close to the doctors office, I actually weigh myself naked, then weigh myself with all my clothes and shoes on before going to the doctor to know the facts, not cheat on myself and lie about my actual weight)...my scale read 199.2 pounds! Yep, I broke the big two zero zero.

So thats 25 pounds now in about 10 weeks. Sure the rapid weight loss stopped, but I had already psychologically prepared myself for that, and the long haul.

Liquor is my only cheat. It does in fact cause stall, but when I abstain the weight loss continues. I'm finding a "balance".

I NEVER cheat on any foods. To me, low carb tortillas are a "cheat"...actually having that 4 grams of carbs with my lunch-meat! Also I have a handful of nuts here and there and eat more fruit now in phase two of low carb.

I have enjoyed many foods, but never a full carb baked good and never, ever any chips or crackers. I do lean on some sugar alcohol candies a little though.

I've learned a lot about how to get some of those missing foods we crave. We found a protein bread with only 3.5 carbs per slice for instance. That's good with some no sugar peanut butter for a carb splurge. It also occurred to me to make my own croutons from that bread for that missing bready crunch on my salads. There ARE ways around this that you figure out over time!

Thanks to all who have helped walk this path here. I'm becoming a very informed low carb consumer now and can effectively not cheat, at least big time, even when eating out. I can almost always find a way to eat low carb, including at some fast food restaurants! That's another subject for an other thread someday...so I'll stop this diatribe...and I wont ask anyone for congratulations, I'll give it to myself. 25lbs in 2-1/2 months is awesome.

To all newbies. This CAN be done. But you MUST not play around calling yourself low carb while eating that burger with a bun just because you are out to eat, or the occasional chips or fries. You are either low carb or not, until you reach goal. Anything else...well, is NOT low carb! You choose what you put in your face, no one else.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-18, 12:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
I'm not one to post in support forums or keep a journal. I have even told very few people I'm losing weight. My daughter only found out recently (shes lives 100 miles away and we dont see her a lot).

So, as you can read, I use this, my introduction thread to update. It really makes the most sense because almost everyone's journey here probably starts right here in this forum with a "here we go, I'm starting my diet" post. you can see my evolution from paranoid about the web site, to learning a lot from the good people here.

You can see my last post was 18 pounds in 18 days. Well THAT pace of losing quickly stopped! Mostly because I started drinking again, stalling my progress...and the first couple/three weeks from what I gather is always the fastest, that's how all the TV commercials can claim it. It's real, you CAN lose 15 pounds in a month on any real diet you dont cheat on.

So I began moderating my drinking again, drinking only on the weekends and sticking very strictly to the low carb diet otherwise and have slowly continued to lose weight. I think posting that all here should be inspiration for new dieters to see from the beginning, from the "hello I'm new here" first post, to where I am today.

Today I stand at 50% of goal. That's right, I started January 1 this year (2018) at 225 pounds with a goal of 50 pounds of weight loss. For the first time in years my scale (its calibrated to be really close to the doctors office, I actually weigh myself naked, then weigh myself with all my clothes and shoes on before going to the doctor to know the facts, not cheat on myself and lie about my actual weight)...my scale read 199.2 pounds! Yep, I broke the big two zero zero.

So thats 25 pounds now in about 10 weeks. Sure the rapid weight loss stopped, but I had already psychologically prepared myself for that, and the long haul.

Liquor is my only cheat. It does in fact cause stall, but when I abstain the weight loss continues. I'm finding a "balance".

I NEVER cheat on any foods. To me, low carb tortillas are a "cheat"...actually having that 4 grams of carbs with my lunch-meat! Also I have a handful of nuts here and there and eat more fruit now in phase two of low carb.

I have enjoyed many foods, but never a full carb baked good and never, ever any chips or crackers. I do lean on some sugar alcohol candies a little though.

I've learned a lot about how to get some of those missing foods we crave. We found a protein bread with only 3.5 carbs per slice for instance. That's good with some no sugar peanut butter for a carb splurge. It also occurred to me to make my own croutons from that bread for that missing bready crunch on my salads. There ARE ways around this that you figure out over time!

Thanks to all who have helped walk this path here. I'm becoming a very informed low carb consumer now and can effectively not cheat, at least big time, even when eating out. I can almost always find a way to eat low carb, including at some fast food restaurants! That's another subject for an other thread someday...so I'll stop this diatribe...and I wont ask anyone for congratulations, I'll give it to myself. 25lbs in 2-1/2 months is awesome.

To all newbies. This CAN be done. But you MUST not play around calling yourself low carb while eating that burger with a bun just because you are out to eat, or the occasional chips or fries. You are either low carb or not, until you reach goal. Anything else...well, is NOT low carb! You choose what you put in your face, no one else.

Wow that's great progress!!!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-18, 15:08

BF:

Thanks Meme!

Dropped another almost 4 lbs as of yesterday. Didn't weigh today. I'll bloat again as I drink this weekend, so the progress will again be measured around next Thursday.

I'm going to call it 3lbs to be conservative about it. I last weighed in at 196.4lbs.

Getting closer to the 30 lb mark!