Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 06:35
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Top Ten Reasons Why Low Carb Dieters Can End Up Getting Fatter and Fatter

Top Ten Reasons Why Low Carb Dieters Can End Up Getting Fatter and Fatter

Schauffler and millions of low carb dieters have found that if you don’t do it right, low carb will turn into a big health risk and make one actually gain weight. Low carb adherents can use this "Top Ten" list to avoid the pitfalls of low carb dieting and assure the achievement of their weight loss, fitness and appearance goals. (PRWEB) April 17, 2004--Low Carb at TGI Fridays! Low Carb Ice Cream! And the best one - Low Carb Beer! Henri Schauffler was ecstatic. Low carb had finally become mainstream! Life would be good from now on…

Schauffler, a middle aged man who had been on the Atkins low carb diet for years, was shocked to find earlier in the year that his cholesterol, tri-glycosides, blood pressure and weight were all up to unhealthy levels. But wait - Dr. Atkins had promised that the low carb diet would solve all these problems AND help him lose weight. Now, he thought, there was low carb everywhere - he could “not have his carbs and eat them, too.”

But as Schauffler and millions of low carb dieters have found, if you don’t do it right, low carb will turn into a big health risk. Earlier this year, he began an in-depth search for what was wrong with this low carb picture. As a result, Schauffler, with his wife, Loretta, has launched a website to help low carb dieters avoid the pitfalls and mistakes that can come with ignorance and lack of support. Low-Carb-Lifestyles.Com offers a new approach based on the Five Keys to Low Carb Success: Information, Motivation, Nutrition, Fitness and Support. More on these five keys can be found at: http://www.lowcarb-lifestyles.com.

Along with the Five Keys, Schauffler discovered the TOP TEN REASONS WHY LOW CARB DIETERS CAN END UP GETTING FATTER AND FATTER. There is room here to describe five:

10. Not Counting Carbs – Carbs must be counted just like calories

9. Disregarding a common sense approach - (“I can eat as much fat as I like – it’s low carb!”)

8. Failing to develop a clear plan and goals for achievement – just like any endeavor, one needs to create a sense of urgency everyday.

7. Dieting alone - not enlisting the help of a support network

6. Believing too much of the hype on commercially prepared low carb foods – all the “net carbs” promotion belies the fact that one must
eat a healthy mix of protein and complex carbohydrates everyday

For the remaining Top Ten Reasons Why Low Carb Dieters Can End Up Getting Fatter and Fatter go to: http://www.lowcarb-lifestyles.com, and look in the left hand column under "Featured Artilces."

Says Schauffler, a success coach and management consultant, “I have concluded that the low carb approach is absolutely the best system,
but we must follow certain principles absolutely. Failure to do so will actually make you fatter while tricking you into thinking you are on a diet!”

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Contact Person: Henri Schauffle
LowCarb-Lifestyles.Com
301-806-0510
http://www.lowcarb-lifestyles.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 06:36
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Edit: Full article

Top 10 Reasons Why Low Carb Dieters Can Get Fatter and Fatter

Written by: Henri Schauffler, Date: Apr. 16, 2004

http://www.lowcarb-lifestyles.com/a...p?a=read&aid=49

Top 10 Reasons Why Low Carb Dieters Can Get Fatter and Fatter

Low Carb at TGI Fridays! Low Carb Ice Cream! And the best one - Low Carb Beer! I was ecstatic. Low carb had finally become mainstream! Life would be good from now on…

I’ve been on the Atkins low carb diet for years, but was shocked to find earlier in the year that my cholesterol, tri-glycosides, blood pressure and weight were all up to unhealthy levels. But wait - Dr. Atkins had promised that the low carb diet would solve all these problems AND help me lose weight. Now, I thought, there was low carb everywhere – I could “not have his carbs and eat them, too.”

But as I and millions of low carb dieters have found, if you don’t do it right, low carb will turn into a big health risk. Earlier this year, I began an in-depth search for what was wrong with this low carb picture. As a result, with my wife, Loretta, I launched LowCarb-Lifestyles to help low carb dieters avoid the pitfalls and mistakes that can come with ignorance and lack of support. Low-Carb-Lifestyles.Com offers a new approach based on the Five Keys to Low Carb Success: Information, Motivation, Nutrition, Fitness and Support

Along with the Five Keys, we discovered the TOP TEN REASONS WHY LOW CARB DIETERS CAN END UP GETTING FATTER AND FATTER.

10. Not Counting Carbs – Carbs must be counted just like calories

9. Disregarding a common sense approach - (“I can eat as much fat as I like – it’s low carb!”)

8. Failing to develop a clear plan and goals for achievement – just like any endeavor, one needs to create a sense of urgency everyday.

7. Dieting alone - not enlisting the help of a support network

6. Believing too much of the hype on commercially prepared low carb foods – all the “net carbs” promotion belies the fact that one must eat a healthy mix of protein and complex carbohydrates everyday

5. Sliding in and out of low carb living - Yo-yo low carb dieting is a certain road to getting fatter. Higher fat combined with carbs - certain death!

4. Failing to be creative with one's menu choices - Eating the same old eggs and meat everyday leads to cheating - for sheer
lack of variety

3. Not exercising regularly - Every dieter needs at least four days a week of exercise, especially those
over 30 (most of us!).

2. Ignoring the need for self motivation - We need to spend time everyday, (we recommend at least 20 minutes per day)

1. Failing to commit to low carb living for the rest of one's life - For long term success, one needs to commit to a self disciplined, intentional daily "Low Carb Lifestyle." Anything less will, for most of us, end up in weight gain and frustration.

We have concluded that the low carb approach is absolutely the best system, but we must follow certain principles absolutely. Failure to do so will actually make you fatter while tricking you into thinking you are on a diet!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 07:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This is a shameful way to do PR for a new low-carb business. Scare people from low-carbing, and then offer your way, the only way, to the same, low-carbing....

eMediaWire is a PR firm, and this article is paid for by the new business owners. Too bad there's going to be more of these scams, and they just increase the smear campaign against low-carbing, for their own profit from low-carbing...

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 07:47

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I agree with Tamaran - it is shameful, and this will be used as proof by many that Low carbing isn't better than any other diet with lots of people regaining what they have lost.

The scary part is: some of the points are true, and some aren't (South beach works without counting carbs). Because of the good ones, that make common sense, it sounds attractive. But the sticky list of do's and don'ts that is posted in this forum is better than what they have. B
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 07:53
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
This is a shameful way to do PR for a new low-carb business. Scare people from low-carbing, and then offer your way, the only way, to the same, low-carbing....

Very true, even though he does have a smart top ten list in this article. Personally, I would have preferred to post the top ten reasons without the rest of the article, but felt like I would have been cheating if I did that.

This is the same reason I am not very fond of the SBD website. I much prefer the option to give a donation, and am more inclined to do so when given that option, especially when there's much effort and money utilized to make the member experience worthwhile.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'd like to add one to that list. Not so much because I believe it's responsible for making low carbers fatter, but more because I believe that it's responsible, at least in part, for causing worsened cardiac profiles.

11. Using low carb products on a regular basis that contain hydrogenated fats and/or high fructose corn syrup.

Low carb products that contain these things are not your friend no matter how low in carbs they are.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:54

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Maybe we can create our own top ten (or top hundred) list of common mistakes people make on LC? (Eat your veggies! Drink your water! Don't skip meals! Move your butt!)

The thing that bothers me with this article is that it kind of muddies the line between "doing the plan" and "not doing it right." If you're not doing the plan right, then you're not doing the plan, period. If you're not following a research-supported, reputable LC plan, then you shouldn't really be characterized as an LC dieter.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 16:36

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It's a kind of no-brainer to me...if you don't watch your carbs, you will wind up eating high fat/high carb, which is probably the worst possible way to eat (and the way a lot of people do eat, especially those who rely on fast food places.)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 19:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Top five reasons my pants don't fit any more:

1. Lost almost 3" off my abdomen this past month.
2. Lost 3/4" inch off my hips
3. Lost 3/4" inch off each thigh
4. Lost 5 pounds of fat
5. Gained 1 pound of muscle mass
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 09:14

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

To sum this up:

Slowly begin to eat like you used to, and you will slowly pack on fat.

well duh