Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:35

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%
Default do Carb blockers work ?

Hi I am always thinking about buying the Carb Blockers in the heath foood store but am not to sure that they would work ? I have tried other diet pills and got no affect. I am not going to use them so I can eat a lot of carbs but would use them to work out and burn more fat does this work ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 23:05

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%

You might want to search the thread "Tips and Stalls." If memory serves, there are a number of discussions about this. From my own personal experience, the carb blockers made absolutely no difference in my weight loss, so I would not waste my money again, but YMMV.

I would love to believe that "The Magic Pill" really exists, but that's naive on my part. By the way, the active ingredient is phaseolamin, which is white kidney bean extract. In theory, it surpresses an enzyme produced in both the salivary glands and the stomach which digests starch. (It has no effect on sugar.)

Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 15:33

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

I don't think they work near as good as they are marketed. If you're on a low carb diet anyway, it won't really matter.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 01:12
Registered Member

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 199/???/149 Female 5'6"
BF:37/??/24
Progress: 9%

I wouldn't waste my money on them.
Nothing can replace good nutrition and exercise for burning fat. If they , or any diet pill for that matter, really worked for the long term without any harmful side effects, then would obesity be as big of a problem as it is now?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 14:20

Well you are right kAd you can not stop exercise and I do a lot of that but they are doing a study on a product called Phase 2 I do take it but still stick to the low carb ruels at all times. There are things out there that do work but I was just wondering if any one has seen any diffrance and it seems they have not yet.Thanks and keep up the good work
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMichelle
You might want to search the thread "Tips and Stalls." If memory serves, there are a number of discussions about this. From my own personal experience, the carb blockers made absolutely no difference in my weight loss, so I would not waste my money again, but YMMV.

I would love to believe that "The Magic Pill" really exists, but that's naive on my part. By the way, the active ingredient is phaseolamin, which is white kidney bean extract. In theory, it surpresses an enzyme produced in both the salivary glands and the stomach which digests starch. (It has no effect on sugar.)

Michelle

No you are right there is a no magic pill well there is the only one that works is Ephedra and not a lot of People want to take that any more ( i still do and it works ) all the rest of the pills do not work but the lattest studys show that the Phase 2 can work but I work out a lot and that is the best way. I just wanted to see if any one has seen if it worked on them Before the study results come out on the blockers. There is only one magic pill out there and it works. I am in the Army and I use it in moderation (ephedra that is ) and I lose the waight the key is to keep it off. The studys that I have seen with Ephedra is people hurting them selfs Because they take like 300mg a day I take 30mg a day and have been for some time and nothing. The Chinese have been using it for hundreds of years and they now there herbs LOL
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Frankly I am not too thrilled with taking any pills to block my carb intake other than just doing it naturally and taking any vitamins or minerals to support my low carb lifestyle. IMO I am afraid that I would get comfy with the pills doing the work and that I may have to take them for a very long time.

But this is just my humble opinion...

Though I am sure there are some that do work to block some carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 13:42

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You know, my mom showed me these Carb blockers and was thrilled about them. I read the ingredients: the 2nd or 3rd was SUGAR!

Kind of like a one legged man in an asskicking contest, eh?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 18:13

Stats: 255/255/150 Female 67
BF:way too much

From what I understand the "carb blockers" are made from white bean. There has not been any documented truth or approval. It does get your hopes up though.
It has been shown though that Green Tea will increase your metabolism besides fighting off colds and viruses
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-08, 21:29

Plan: Very-Modified Metifast
Stats: 312/272/220 Male 73 inches (6'1")
BF:
Progress:

Carb Blockers are not a "Magic Pill," but can be very effective *IF* used as directed and occasionally--i.e. when you just have to have that "Cheat" meal or snack. They inhibit the release of the enzyme that allows the body to break down and absorb STARCH--for about an hour. Thus they should be taken a half-hour or so before eating to allow the inhibitor to work. Since a lot of the enzyme is released in saliva, taking them during and especially after a meal is really closing the barn door....etc.

Obviously, if you are on a strictly-followed low-carb diet, they are totally useless. Likewise, if the carbs you are eating come from non-starchy foods, they are also worthless. However, if (like me) you get to where you would KILL for a french fry, then a couple of tablets a little while before you eat *WILL* negate the WORST part of eating a potato, pizza, bread, or pasta.

I am in no hurry to lose 75 pounds, being quite happy to lose a pound or two a week--average, over time (some weeks I gain a few--but lose them back and more in the following weeks). I eat low-fat, low-carb meals most of the time, but allow myself the pleasure of fine dining now and then--which I now help offset with carb-blockers. Before, a gourmet meal would set me back a week or more. Now, I only lose a day or so before I'm back on track. So, for me, they work--when I don't overdo the cheating.

My best tool is a weight chart that covers half the wall of my bathroom by now--from 312 lbs in early May to 272 lbs in late October. By looking at it, I can see graphically when I "fall off the wagon" and how bad. Carb Blockers (which I started taking a couple of months ago) have reduced the upswings in both pounds and days. I only take them when I know I'm eating excess starch-based carbs and try to restrict that to no more than one meal every couple of days--and then in moderation.

bob
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 08:16

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

I've tried them a few times when I was about to eat some potatoes. I do believe they work as advertised. http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/...loss_weapon.htm

They're not something I would do all the time, however, as undigested starch is not an entirely pleasant experience -- much rumblings, gas and so forth in the intestines.

The brand I have is Natrol, which doesn't have sugar. http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=2277
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 10:10

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I bought some sugar blockers from the diabetic aisle of Walmat. I do not have diabetes but when I eat any whole grain bread or rice my feet would swell. If I take this with the meal I don't hod the water.
I bought them because the ingredients are natural and suppose to speed up ur metabolism.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 19:11

Plan: .
Stats: 000/000/000 Male .
BF:
Progress: 84%

I just bought some of this Phase2 stuff... and yes - my understanding is that it is effective but only in blocking starch - not sugar.

I am curious about these sugar blockers lizjnqtpy mentions though... What are they called?

#14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 21:52

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

They are just called sugar blockers on the label.
I did buy some phase 2 and use it maybe 1x a week.
I was reading the bottle again and I didn't see it b4but it says it neutralizes COMPLEX carbs, so I wonder if it would do anything for a slice of pizza?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 10:33

Plan: .
Stats: 000/000/000 Male .
BF:
Progress: 84%

I think what they mean by that is that it neutralizes starch-type carbs and not sugar-type. I'm not sure how many grams of sugar there would be in a normal slice of pizza but i don't think there would be much...maybe 7g? I don't know. The rest of the carbs would be starch and fibre (if any).