Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 05:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Take a pair of trousers you like that are too snug now and use that as your next goal.

Absolutely, it's what I did. Because I don't care how much I weigh. I care what pants I fit into.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 07:50
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Try to eat more for meals so you do not need to snack, "grazing" was the worst nutritional advice given in the past few decades! A 14 hour "fast" overnight gives your body time to tap into fat stores..

So Janet, tell me more about this!

I have only been eating 1x a day since 5 July 2013 (over a year now)... so that's a GOOD thing? I mean I'm not hungry until I literally put Food in my mouth... I've had my critics who tell me I'm shutting down my metabolism and I WON'T lose the weight. So I guess I have the metabolism of a corpse... but I showed them didn't I?

In all seriousness, do you have research I can read etc...?

Thanks, Janet!!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 10:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

JustJo,

More than you ever want to know on the subject can be found here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...63&page=1&pp=15

That first post leads you to a series of lectures many hours long, though I tried to list the more helpful parts, it is all good if you like the lecture format. Dr. Fung completely rejects the notion of "shutting down the metabolism", and I think the studies are in Part 4? You might also find them in the blog posts if you prefer reading to watching lectures. I have been known to stop the lecture when he moves out of the way of the screen and try to read the citation and track it down..but then my OCD is showing.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 03:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/197/157 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

Yes, I had that in my head about the scales lying so didnt feel quite so bad as I would have done. But good news - I lost a pound today (2 pounds if u include the pound I put on yesterday) so its all good
I didnt eat from 1pm onwards yesterday so def exceeded the 14 hr fast. I didnt feel hungry at dinner time so didnt bother having anything - not sure if thats a good idea or not.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 04:29

Dr Westman's Simple rule: Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are full.

If you were not hungry for dinner last night, and you didn't wake up in the middle of the night starving, it is fine. Ketosis is a strong appetite suppressant, why people spontaneously eat less on low carb, as well as not having the appetite stimulant from sugar and wheat. After your body adjusts to the continued state of ketosis, you will find a natural meal timing works for you.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 06:06
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigratart
Yes, I had that in my head about the scales lying so didnt feel quite so bad as I would have done. But good news - I lost a pound today (2 pounds if u include the pound I put on yesterday) so its all good
I didnt eat from 1pm onwards yesterday so def exceeded the 14 hr fast. I didnt feel hungry at dinner time so didnt bother having anything - not sure if thats a good idea or not.

Huge congrats on the losses! I'm over here cheering you onward and DOWNWARD.

Dr. Atkins' also said to "Eat and drink when hungry & thirsty and to stop when you're not." So at least 2 doctors espouse the same WOE principle!!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 06:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
JustJo,

More than you ever want to know on the subject can be found here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...63&page=1&pp=15

That first post leads you to a series of lectures many hours long, though I tried to list the more helpful parts, it is all good if you like the lecture format. Dr. Fung completely rejects the notion of "shutting down the metabolism", and I think the studies are in Part 4? You might also find them in the blog posts if you prefer reading to watching lectures. I have been known to stop the lecture when he moves out of the way of the screen and try to read the citation and track it down..but then my OCD is showing.

Janet, thank you so much for the information! I can't wait to get started reading it!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 11:15

I found this one on snacking and insulin levels. http://intensivedietarymanagement.c...l-obesity-xiii/ Previous post linked within it. "meal timing" in the topic list right bar includes others. Under patient resources, there is an option for a 24 hour fast every day, i.e. One meal a day.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 12:26

BF:

Here's a thread I started with some research:

The Case Against Snacking

which has a lot of personal accounts.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 17:54
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Thanks Janet and WB, I'm still reading and researching what you gave me earlier, Janet!

Sorry Tigratart... didn't mean to highjack you thread... sorry
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 23:20

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

...Hi Tigratart! Welcome as you can already see, the friends on here are super!
You guys rock! What great advice-love reading.
THX!
Julie
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 03:00

We sort of stayed on topic with the snacking issue, though we do have a tendency to wander around the wide world of LC at times. thanks Julie, glad you enjoy our excursions.

WearBear, that Snacking thread is good with everyone's different experiences. Never seen it before. How do I nominate it for a "Best Of" thread so more can see it?

And what's up with you and IF Now? Thought I read you had concerns that LT it wasn't good for you?
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 03:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/197/157 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Julie - dont worry about 'hi-jacking' my thread - I love to hear all the replies, stories and tips. Everyone is really helpful and friendly on here - so glad I joined.

I feel better about not eating now - I too thought that it would slow my metabolism down and I would go into 'starvation' mode but I can see that isnt the case on Atkins. I really dont feel like breakfast - so I wont have any . I will just sit here with my fizzy water (also been drinking a lot more still water - find its getting easier).

Thanks everyone xx

Alison
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 07:13

BF:

Quote:
WearBear, that Snacking thread is good with everyone's different experiences. Never seen it before. How do I nominate it for a "Best Of" thread so more can see it?

Thanks! I think you can drop a private message to any of the moderators.

Quote:
And what's up with you and IF Now? Thought I read you had concerns that LT it wasn't good for you?

Well, it wasn't working to drop my last 20 pounds. Then my health took a severe downturn, but I think it simply brought underlying issues to light, rather than causing my problem.

I'm doing Epi-Paleo now, and I feel a bit better. This is three meals a day, no snacking, and your appetite is supposed to fade as you get better until you skip lunch. So I'll get back there eventually, it seems
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 07:15
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigratart
Hi Julie - dont worry about 'hi-jacking' my thread - I love to hear all the replies, stories and tips. Everyone is really helpful and friendly on here - so glad I joined.

I feel better about not eating now - I too thought that it would slow my metabolism down and I would go into 'starvation' mode but I can see that isnt the case on Atkins. I really dont feel like breakfast - so I wont have any . I will just sit here with my fizzy water (also been drinking a lot more still water - find its getting easier).

Thanks everyone xx

Alison

Sounds like you are on the right track with this WOE Alison, remember we're here cheering you onward and DOWNWARD!

Wishing you much success on this wondrous WOE journey!!

Jo =]