Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 08:25
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Ugggg! Son of a gon

it took me 7 weeks to loose 9.7 pounds...to break a stall that lasted 2 months... And in one week I gained 3 pounds back...

Have no clue as to what caused such a huge gain. Initially I gained 5 pounds within 2 days. Thank god 2 pounds came off before the week way day...

No fair!!!!Whannnnnnn!!!!!

Sorry I just needed to vent, and throw a tantrum...

I am going to go and have a serious talk with my body now...Explain what it's job is and how it really needs to behave... LOL...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 10:23
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Yesterday I watched a video on youtube where a young britt did a 21 day experiment to see if he would gain weight on a 5000 calorie a day LCHF diet. He wanted to test the 'A calorie is a calorie' theory and see if he would gain any weight after eating such a massive number of calories from mostly fat and protein while keeping the carb count low. At the end of his 21 day period, it turns out he did gain a little weight. He said that by the 'calorie calculator' he should have gained around 15 lbs. His actual gain was somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds (he was giving stats in KG). However, in addition to weighing himself - he did a daily waist measurement. While he gained about 2 lbs - he lost about an inch around his waist (and he was already a nicely fit dude). He even showed a graph of his daily weights and measurements showing the slight but steady trend of gaining a little weight while losing a little around his waist. I thought it was a cool experiment.

So what do his final results mean? For one, it is clear that simply eating too many calories will not make you fatter. A calorie is not a calorie. Carb cals vs Protein/Fat cals do matter. But where did the extra pound or two go? My guess would be muscle mass. What ever it was, it did not appear to be fat.

About those extra few pounds on the scale that have you in a tizzy today... Since it sounds like you've stayed on track with LC diet, I'd say they those extra pounds are probably not fat either. I don't know if this makes you feel any better -- we want the scale to move in one direction at all times. But unfortunately, sometimes your body has other plans. It sounds like your body has some explaining to do.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, May-23-14 at 11:28.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Hmm... Sounds familiar

#4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 12:03
Triple digit loss

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Yesterday I watched a video on youtube where a young britt did a 21 day experiment to see if he would gain weight on a 5000 calorie a day LCHF diet. He wanted to test the 'A calorie is a calorie' theory and see if he would gain any weight after eating such a massive number of calories from mostly fat and protein while keeping the carb count low. At the end of his 21 day period, it turns out he did gain a little weight. He said that by the 'calorie calculator' he should have gained around 15 lbs. His actual gain was somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds (he was giving stats in KG). However, in addition to weighing himself - he did a daily waist measurement. While he gained about 2 lbs - he lost about an inch around his waist (and he was already a nicely fit dude). He even showed a graph of his daily weights and measurements showing the slight but steady trend of gaining a little weight while losing a little around his waist. I thought it was a cool experiment.

So what do his final results mean? For one, it is clear that simply eating too many calories will not make you fatter. A calorie is not a calorie. Carb cals vs Protein/Fat cals do matter. But where did the extra pound or two go? My guess would be muscle mass. What ever it was, it did not appear to be fat.

About those extra few pounds on the scale that have you in a tizzy today... Since it sounds like you've stayed on track with LC diet, I'd say they those extra pounds are probably not fat either. I don't know if this makes you feel any better -- we want the scale to move in one direction at all times. But unfortunately, sometimes your body has other plans. It sounds like your body has some explaining to do.

Thanks for the encouragement. That is really interesting to hear someone's experience.

For my body DNA it doesn't hold water, if you know what I mean. Literally if I ate 5000 calories a day I would gain weight. I have done my little experiments with my body on the LC this year to test calorie intake. And my conclusion is cutting calories is needed. Oh but I would say I would love nothing more to eat 5000 calories a day since I am basically hungry most of the time because of the hormone fluctuations.

Calorie counting might be because I am insulin resistant, in remission of type 2 diabetes. So my body already has trouble converting food to energy.

I can say my skinny Italian sister (I am adopted not same DNA) could eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. You should see how skinny she is and she is 10 years older than me. So Jealous of her!

Be nice if it was muscle mass. Really not sure what it is. Other than my body throwing a teeze saying no I am not going to get smaller. LOL...

Be better if it was fluid retention... Then I just pee my way down
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 12:17
Triple digit loss

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Hmm... Sounds familiar

Ugggg.... Completely sucks for you! Glad to see you are heading down again. Mr see-saw ;P

See-Sawing is not fun.

I definitely empathize with you...It totally sucks! This stalling started on Nov 8, 2013. Which means in the last 27 weeks, almost 7 months. I have lost 21 pounds. that is averaging around .75 pounds a week.

I look forward to the day I am maintenance mode. 39 more pounds to go. And officially I will be considered overweight no longer obese. I can go shop for good clothes.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 12:37
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
... I can say my skinny Italian sister (I am adopted not same DNA) could eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. You should see how skinny she is and she is 10 years older than me. So Jealous of her!

My little bro (same DNA) was the same way. He was a bean-pole for years and he could eat anything in any quantity. He was, by nature, a real SOB and he loved to flaunt the fact that he could eat anything and be thin while I struggled with my eating habits and plumpness. I remember him shoving 3 or 4 Twinkies down in a row while staring me straight in the eye saying umm, ummm, ummmm with each one.

But one day, Instant Karma struck. By his late 20's, he wasn't looking so thin anymore. I guess he pounded his pancreas a little too hard all those early years. During his 30's, he got down right fat. Now in his late 40's, he is as big as I was. The last time me and my 2 brothers were photographed together was in 2010. We were almost too wide to fit in the frame. Needless to say, he does not give me a bunch of crapola about my weight anymore.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, May-23-14 at 12:52.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-25-14, 17:18
Triple digit loss

BF:

LOL khrussva,

Yeah my brother who was 2 years older than me (also adopted different bio family though) was really nasty to me about my weight. And Eventually he actually went and became type 1 juvinile diabetic in his mid 20s... Before he did he gained a huge amount of weight.

My sister that I referenced is still skinny. She is 54 years old and it amazes me. had 2 kids. I think she watches a little now adays but she can still slam back the regular sodas, eat desserts ect...

But I think she tapers that with salads now a day.

Just amazing to me and I am still amazed by how much everybody's DNA differs.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-25-14, 18:39

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Right there with you, and almost exactly the same weight. I think we've just lost so much that our bodies need a while to adapt. Hopefully.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-27-14, 08:30
Triple digit loss

BF:

probably right, I posted to your other post about some realizations i had this past few days after posting this.

It is nice I can come and vent here. And let it out with people who understand it. Get there feedback, and share in the frustration. Feels like I am less alone in this, and I am not the only one going through issues.

it helps me to move on and to have further understanding of myself and of this WOE.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-27-14, 10:30

BF:

Your post over there sounds very 'zen" - good for you! Sorry to hear that you are ususally still hungry - that has plagued you from the beginning :-( I'm generally NOT hungry, which is why I find fasting fairly easy, but my problem is more a "wanting to eat". I find that once I start, I have a hard time stopping. Apparently my binge trigger is food ;-) Last night I had all the white meat off a rotisserie chicken, with a big green salad. Then I saw bacon and had to have some. Then a second serving. Then I saw my daughter eating a chocolate bar, so I got up and made our coconut oil chocolate.. Then I put a little whipping cream on it. Then I wondered WHAT THE HELL I was doing, and where I lost control!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-27-14, 18:01
Triple digit loss

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
Your post over there sounds very 'zen" - good for you! Sorry to hear that you are ususally still hungry - that has plagued you from the beginning :-( I'm generally NOT hungry, which is why I find fasting fairly easy, but my problem is more a "wanting to eat". I find that once I start, I have a hard time stopping. Apparently my binge trigger is food ;-) Last night I had all the white meat off a rotisserie chicken, with a big green salad. Then I saw bacon and had to have some. Then a second serving. Then I saw my daughter eating a chocolate bar, so I got up and made our coconut oil chocolate.. Then I put a little whipping cream on it. Then I wondered WHAT THE HELL I was doing, and where I lost control!

LOL... Zen has taken me well over a decade to get remotely close

First I want to say don't be too hard on yourself. If you were perfect you would be an omnipresent being (GOD).

Everything is learning. And you are learning and being quite successful at getting the weight off.

Okay so now, I am going to sound off the wall to most. But I will put it out there incase anyone else is experiencing it.

I fully believe in psychic abilities, and I am an empath. It has taken me up until this past year and this year to fully admit what being an empath is really is and how it effects me.

Give an example. My hubby comes home from work today before me. I come back from taking the dog to the vet. I come in and start playing with the dogs. Because it is play time and they are literlaly following me around with the ball. I am happy playing with the dogs, hubby comes up from the basement start preparing dinner (steaks yum!).

All of a sudden my mood changes, I start getting a forehead type headache and I am feeling glum. Take me 10 minutes to realize hey this isn't me I was happy. I then ask hubby "How is your headache?" He says well it varies sometimes worse then other times. Mind you I didn't know he had a headache. I say you stilling feeling drained (I did know this from yesterday). he said yeah.

As soon as I confirmed it, the symptoms started to disappear.

That is one example but I empath alot of things. And one main thing I realized I empathed was other people's hunger or cravings.

I can recall so many times of "craving" ice cream or a brownie or a cookie and I would ignore it. To have hubby say, for instance, "Hey how about we go get ice cream". He is the one that love ice cream, I like it but not like him.

Sometimes, it wasn't even picking up on their craving but the negative emotions or physically drainning of someone else and I was trying to numb myself or energize myself to what I was feeling unconsciously but taking it on consciously as if it was my own.

The other thing I realized, was when I ate uncontrollably (junk or healthy didn't matter) I usually wasn't feeling "right". Either physically or emotionally. Like I was using food to change the chemical/hormone balance. I actually told a dr one time long ago about what i craved and did. I use to take a teaspoon of white sugar and a swig of milk. The Dr. Was shocked, cause she said I was intuitively trying to adjust certain hormones (I forget which ones) through the use of that combination. So we tried a certain supplment but it didn't work.

Mainly, I started being more conscious of why I was eating and what I was feeling right before I ate, as I ate, and after I ate.

I use to find my self in front of the refrigerator automatically opening it up.

And I had to wake myself up and say why I am I here? Am I hungry? No. Am I not feeling okay physically? Am I picking up on someone else stuff empathically?

I had to take a hard look at all the "teachings" around food that is done through the family, tv, soceity, ads, ect... And deprogram myself from the old ways and develop new ways of looking at it.

Mind you I am giving a condense version of the journey I took to discover myself in the world of food over the past decade.

And I still struggle with it for a couple of reasons. one reason being there are certain sweet food that give a pleasurable chemical reaction in my brain that I can't get anywhere else. I have noticed that lately when I eat my low carb cheese cake.

Anyway what it has taken for me is a very hard look at myself. And what I discovered was I was way harder on myself then I should of been. Aside from the empath thing going on. I literally had excess hormone in my body telling me to eat (insulin). Then there was the stress/depression I had to admit to. Finally, all the "programming" from society I took on surrounding food. Once I realized those, I let up on myself some and let go of the out of control struggle and drama, started being honest and really looking at it.

And I admitted to hubby in the initially days before LCing, I can't have the food in the house or you need to hide it. I will eat it. That was tough to admit that I didn't have control.

And it wasn't always junk, like nuts. I still can't have them in the house I will eat them. Cream cheese, I will eat a tub of that easily, especially since i am hungry most of the time.

And he understands, and until I got to the point where I could be around it and not have an issue.

I have gotten better with alot of the foods and he can now have them in the house around me. The only exception he must keep any homemade cookies & brownies that I make, peanuts, and hallowean candy down stairs. Otherwise I am tempted still.

Out of site out of mind.

Just remember, if you go out of control. Tell yourself you will get better next time. Not perfect but better. So maybe you have the bacon and not the chocolate.

And remember, getting upset and angry with yourself sometimes can make it worse on you, it can pile on the stress. And literally make the eating worse.

The MOST important thing to do is recognize when you are getting out of control. And just stop it don't berate yourself. Be proud that you recognized it. Then just realize that next time you will do better.

When you start to detect it earlier and earlier you will start gaining the upperhand on it.

I sure hope you are taking time out enjoying your success and realizing how truly remarkable you are for what you have accomplished thus far! I sure hope you are rewarding yourself with non food stuff to celebrate all the mini goals and milestones you have made!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 08:02

BF:

well, on the topic of rewards - the built in one is that I pretty much always need new clothes! I'm at work right now and realizing that I keep hauling up my pants. I can't quite figure it out because the "inches" I'm measuring on hips and waist haven't changed (still around 41/51) but the pants are definitely looser.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 06:26
Triple digit loss

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
well, on the topic of rewards - the built in one is that I pretty much always need new clothes! I'm at work right now and realizing that I keep hauling up my pants. I can't quite figure it out because the "inches" I'm measuring on hips and waist haven't changed (still around 41/51) but the pants are definitely looser.

Well, i don't know if you are ordering online. For me part of the reward is going shopping (never used to be a shopper) and playing dress up. I get to select clothes that get me excited and try them on then admire how good I look in the mirror.

Now granted some don't fit, some look awful. However, for me, there is nothing like the feeling of trying on something that pulls at your fancy and see it fit and admire how it looks. It overrides all the other ones that didn't fit.