Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 14:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/285/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question I have a question about Metformin, pregnancy, and breastfeeding...

I do not have diabetes but I have just been diagnosed with PCOS (not really a surprise) and my doctor put me on Glucophage. I asked her about getting pregnant (we are TTC) and she said it would probably help me to get pregnant. While I would I am thrilled to have this problem diagnosed, I do have some concerns with taking this drug. Mainly, how does it affect breastfeeding (I am currently still breastfeeding my 1 yr old, and I don't plan to wean yet) and pregnancy. I got the impression that the doc wanted me to stay on it even after I got pregnant.. she knows that I am currently breastfeeding.

I want to get pregnant, but I wouldn't want to do anything that would hurt Connor or a new baby!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 18:10

Plan: protein power
Stats: 149/142/132
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default met while breastfeeding/pregnant

Hi Sunni! I am a RN (Registered Nurse) and this is something you should, actually must, ask your Doctor about. I would not take the advice of anyone but a Doctor when it comes to taking medications (of any kind) when breastfeeding or pregnant. LauraLynn
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 00:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/285/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Lauralynn,
You are right! I did talk to my doctor about this and she has no problem with it.. If I can, I may get a second opinion. But I have discovered that advice from others (along with a doctor's advice) can give me a better overview of side effects, how other doctors around the country may feel, and how other people may have handled things in a similar situation.
I know that on-line advice is to be taken with a grain of salt.. and should not be substituted for a doctor's advice, but I would love to listen to other people's experiences on Metformin, particularly if they are breastfeeding and/or pregnant! I do not take drugs lightly!
I also don't believe that doctor's are God, or that they always know everything about a drug (or may be willing to take chances that I am not even told about). Look at it this way.. I have had 3 doctor's tell me I will drop dead of a heart attack from this diet!

Sorry about the rant.. nothing personal, but I have found that many doctors rarely disclose all side effect or problems that may arise while taking a drug. I usually find out about them through asking others on the internet and reading the inserts.

Last edited by sunni : Wed, May-08-02 at 00:24.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 15:29

Plan: Atkins for now/Paleo
Stats: 172/164/115 Female 5' 0" inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am new here, but thought I would share what I know about these issues.

The best way to find about medications and nursing is to call a lactation consultant or La Leche League - they have a book that they can refer to.

As far as getting pregnant, I was told that that metformin is safe to take during pregnancy and if you have a history of gestational diabetes this will allow you to continue on the metformin instead of having to go to injectable insulin. It apparently does not cross the placenta barrier.

Hope this helps and it is wonderful that you are nursing. I nursed my son (now four) until he was 16 months old and I wish that he had nursed longer.

Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 16:24

Plan: various
Stats: 155/135/122 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am breastfeeding and considered metformin to increase milk supply because I know women with PCOS have trouble sometimes with low milk supply and I seem to. What I found was that it has been used with some success in small studies, but is still considered 'experimental' in use. There are different ratings for drugs for use during bf which I'm sure you're familiar with and I believe this is a class B drug. I went to two doctors to ask about it and neither had ever prescribed it - one dr. deals a lot with pcos. So, I decided not to take it because I was concerned it might lower my baby's blood sugar - it does get passed to the baby in some amount. I'm not sure if it is really that much of a concern, and maybe these doctors were just unfamiliar with it, but that's what I decided anyway. I'm interested - did you have problems with low milk supply on this baby? What did you do? I'm doing all the traditional things, but am wondering if a high-protein diet would help (not currently doing one) or if certain medicines work better for PCOS & lactation. Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 17:33

Plan: ONE DAY AT A TIME:)!
Stats: 142.5/138.6/120.0 Female 5 feet and 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Just a real quick reply because I need to head out the door. My endo. told me not to take glucophage/metformin while I was breastfeeding. My 18 month old is pretty much done with that now. But at the time she prescribed it my baby girl was only feeding at night and she still did not want me to take it. I also read on a website, not to take it while breastfeeding because it will pass through breastmilk. Take Care,
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 19:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/246/130 Female 5 foot 2.5 inches
BF:47%/32.0%/22.5%
Progress: 1%
Lightbulb Metformin is safe during breastfeeding

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

here is a link to a study of breastfeeding and metformin.. I participated in the study and my daughter did submit a blood sample.... in fact I am the woman who is listed as having only 1 milk sample... had trouble using the pump on that day.... I actually talked to Dr. Hale.... true this is a sample from only 7 women and their babies... but I think it shows clearly that it can be safely used during breastfeeding... He does extensive research into drugs and breastfeeding. Hope this helps everyone
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 01:01

Plan: own
Stats: 250/225/200 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:
Default Metformin for the better

I am a new mother, my daughter is only four months old. We tried for 5 years to have a baby. It was only after my obgyn recommended Metformin, and I followed his advise, that we succeeded. I am not diabetic, I was told I have PCOS. I have not been regular my entire menstrual life. Most docs wouldn't even look at me, they all wanted to ship me off for In Vitro Fertilization. I knew that noone had taken the time to investigate. I finally found an OBGYN who would. He did a full hormone work up. He noticed that even though the levels were OK individually, collectively they were all slightly askew. After taking Metformin approx two years, as well as Clomid near the end, I became pregnant. He told me to stop taking Metformin once I was pregnant, but said that it was safe while breastfeeding. Thanks to Tanikova for the link to the study. So far it is the only study I have seen.