Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 15:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Good point Darcy,

I can add this info to "particulars and differences" section.

Thanks,

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 17:39

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool LC Comparison Stalled?

What happened fellow Low Carbers?

I have not seen any new book reports on the Comparison of LC Plans.

I have just finished skimming through my fifth book on Low Carb dieting and am quickly coming to a strong conclusion that Dr. Atkins programme is extreme, (to say the least) in advocating a high FAT, no calorie count plan.

All the other authors all agree on Low Carb WOE, but they also stress that it is absolutely essential to stay with low fat and low calories to lose weight and especially low cholesterol if you are concerned with hypertension and angina.

We have a large number of knowledgeable members that I would like to hear from that may wish to dispute the information that I have concluded.

Is it possible that the reason for the slowness of the book reports is because all the other authors are contradicting Dr. Atkins on everything but Low Carbs and therefore creating some doubt in their minds?

Regards
Joe
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 17:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Umm, did you see my synopsis of Neanderthin?

Karen
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:09

BF:
Cool

Great job Karen on the Neanderthin report.

How were you able to reply to my comments so quickly?

What do you think about my analysis of the situation?

Andy is luking somewhere near here and he might also have some thoughts on the subject.

Can all the other Doctors be wrong and Atkins right?

Regards
Joe
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I took the day off to get a bunch of non-LC writing done! LOL!

I don't think the lack of response is due to doubts. If people have an agenda, they will always look for confirmation of their agenda.

I think it's because nobody either has the time/capability/are afraid/wants to do it. It's a pretty big project, and everyone here is a volunteer, looking for advice/support/guidance or casual poster. Big volunteer projects take a looong tiiime.

I'm reading CALP right now. Well not right now, but you know what I mean.

Karen
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:45

BF:
Cool

Yes Karen, I certainly don't know were you guys find the time to do the work that you do on this Forum. It must be a labour of love.

Wa'il is lucky to have such devoted volunteers like yourself , Doreen, and the others, to be able to produce such a successful Web that is spreading around the world.

Regards
Joe

P.S. I have to leave now to take my min, schnauzer "Macho" for his late night walk before he hits the sack.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 19:40

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Joe,

I suppose we are always most influenced by the first writers we read on a subject. For me, although I enormously admire Atkins, when there are occasions of doubt or challenge, I go back to the first two authors I read (Mackarness and Donaldson, in that order). After that, I look for supporting evidence from anywhere reliable, which are likely to settle points of dispute. One team I am particularly impressed with was Kekwick and Pawan, two medical scientists who ran a series of experiments at Middlesex Hospital in England in the 1950s, into claims by Donaldson and others into the viability/wisdom/safety of the Eskimo-style meat-only diet, and the physiology behind the Harvey-Banting diet. It was Kekwick and Pawan who isolated and named Fat Mobilising Substance, and it was Kekwick and Pawan who identified that eating 60g or less per day of carbohydrate would trigger its production. It was Kekwick and Pawan who proved scientifically that LC diets work. They also proved that fat in the diet was far more active in breaking down adipose tissue than protein, and them again who concluded that the ideal ratio between fat and protein is 1:3 repectively. The title of Mackarness's book was "eat Fat and Grow Slim", and he was is certainly the most enthusiastic supporter of a high fat diet. I do not see any harm in eating a high-fat diet. The body will not let you eat too much fat, whereas you can have insufficient. It is important for the cetral nervous system and brain. In the absence of carbohydrates, fat is not fattening. Study after study has shown that it is carbohydrate, and not fat, that increases cholesterol, blood pressure, risk of heart disease, etc. What nutritional value is there in food that is low in everything? It rather sounds to me as if modern authors are getting away from the original evidence, and veering into the ephemeral world of trends and fashion. No doubt you will make your own mind up, and I can understand your concerns. But if in doubt, check the evidence behind the assertion. Best wishes.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 20:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Go Diet

I could do the Go Diet as I have the book. Did you post any style rules? Where do I send the review when it is written?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 20:54
Forum Founder

Hi Eebee,

Yes, please do. It will be greatly appreciated. Here's our draft for a style guide:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=13898

In this subforum, there's an empty thread for the Go-Diet, you may post it there, or email to me. I'll publish entries every Saturday, take a look at the current pages under construction here:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html

Thanks!

Wa'il
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 23:10

BF:

Could I have your email address so I can post it to you? Just so you can check it out before it goes public.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 23:18
Forum Founder

Yes, my email is at the bottom of every page on this forum, where it says contact us

Wa'il
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 07:56

BF:
Cool

Andy, you certainly have done your homework to arrive at the comments you expressed in a convincing manner.

I would be interested in your additional thoughts if you analysed some of the other LC books on our list, as compared to your favourites.

Glad to see Eebee from N.Z. offer to do a book report on a book that I am not familiar with.

I can guarantee that the best way for new LCarbers to learn how to apply this wonderful WOE and WOL is to try and right a book report on the Plan that they are interested, so that others may be able to understand how that plan works.

Regards
Joe

P.S. Andy how to you lose such large quantities of weight in such a short period. Do you REALLY think that it is safe to lose so quickly, based on everything that you have studied?
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:23

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Joe,

I have been reminded by Eebee's timely appearance that this thread is supposed to be for discussing the comparison of LC diets in terms of how they are dealt with. We have strayed into a discussion of the detailed merits of different LC diets, which is a natural next step. However, in order to clear the way for what this thread was intended for, I will just say here that yes I am still happy about rate of weight loss, but that I will discuss it further in my Journal ("Another Way of Doing it?")

Welcome, Eebee, I liked your treatment of the diet you reviewed. Are Low Carbohydrate diets very popular in New Zealand?
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

And this is why I love this forum so much

Discussions have such a wonderful, charming way of going off on such interesting tangents. Just like real conversations.

Doreen
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 21:30

BF:

No they aren't. We are constantly admonished by nutritionists that they are dangerous and we need to eat lots of carbs and low fat. I think they are starting to be tried here though, Atkins book is in all the shops and a fe wplaces sell low carb bars- which after reading about their lying labels I will not be buying any more.