Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 13:49

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default When did you consider yourself "officially" in maintenance?

This is kind of a silly question that won't matter in the long run, but I guess I'm ready to be in maintenance, even if my body isn't.

Since my weight fluctuates from 1-3 lbs most of the time I am wondering....do I consider that I'm in maintenance the first time I see 150....or when I stop bouncing up above that?

Also, <if> I were to see that before I finish the carb ladder (I'm not hopeful of that happening, but you never know) am I still not really in maintenance because I'm still experimenting with new foods?

I guess mentally I already consider myself in maintenance, even though the scale is still 3 lbs. above my goal and I still have 3 more rungs of the carb ladder to climb.

But I want a <date> of when I officially am in maintenance so I can have an anniversary date. I want to be able to say that I've been maintaining for 22 days, or 3 months, or a year, or 2 1/2 years. Silly, I know....but there it is.

Last edited by freckles : Thu, Aug-18-11 at 16:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 16:23
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Frecks--YOU chose. It's your plan.

Personally, I'd just call it and be done with it.

If you go on to lose a few more, that's gravy.

And in terms of experimenting with new foods--NO WHERE did Dr. Atkins ever say that you had to reach to the top of the ladder--he said that for some individuals, the upper most rungs of the ladder should be eaten infrequently and for some due to intolerances, never.

Quote:

I guess mentally I already consider myself in maintenance

Then you're in maintenance.

See how easy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 17:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
But I want a <date> of when I officially am in maintenance so I can have an anniversary date. I want to be able to say that I've been maintaining for 22 days, or 3 months, or a year, or 2 1/2 years. Silly, I know....but there it is.

I used the date I hit my goal weight of 160 as my "graduation" so to speak. 12/18/2005 was the day for me.
I didn't stop eating the same way I had been eating and just kept moving forward from there. I did keep losing a bit but very, very slowly as it was not my main focus then. As Lisa said, it was all gravy at that point.

Last edited by Judynyc : Fri, Aug-19-11 at 15:36.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/124.8/125 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

I am like you, I want to claim a date but not much is going to change when I do hit that magic number of 120.
So far, I am losing doing what I'm doing now so I will get there, with just a few lbs to go but if I should go to far under my goal weight, I guess I will just force myself to eat more veggies. LOL....I haven't added beans or peas yet...or sweet potatoes...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 02:07

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
Since my weight fluctuates from 1-3 lbs most of the time I am wondering....do I consider that I'm in maintenance the first time I see 150....or when I stop bouncing up above that?

No, not silly at all. The day I saw 150 for the first time on the scale was the day I declared it officially ~ 26 February 2008.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 07:26
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I claimed "maintenance" the day I hit my goal too. I will forever remember that day! LOL Also, I didn't just stay that weight, I went back over then back under. I have always fluctuated. I did drop another 10lbs after that but I have found my body, or me, is not happy there. I liked the weight of course and my body but not having so little to eat. It was such a struggle to get there.
Congratulations, you have done very well.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 14:19

BF:

Thanks, ladies! Okay....the "official" date will be the first time I see 150, which could be days from now....or weeks from now. I appreciate all the responses....particularly the fact that you all know the exact date you reached goal.

Have a great day!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-11, 22:27

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Okay ... exception here. I haven't a clue what day, what month, or even for sure what YEAR I reached goal, and I have to admit that I don't much care. I know my sig says a time, but I'm just guesstimating. The important thing, to me, is that I DID make it and I AM maintaining it, so ...

I suppose the fact that I didn't have triple digits to lose, and I had been badly underweight most of my life, might have something to do with that attitude ... opposite problem, but still definitely a problem! It certainly feels good to be a normal weight for the first time in my life even if the shape still leaves something to be desired!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 23:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
Okay ... exception here. I haven't a clue what day, what month, or even for sure what YEAR I reached goal, and I have to admit that I don't much care. I know my sig says a time, but I'm just guesstimating. The important thing, to me, is that I DID make it and I AM maintaining it, so ...

This is most definitely healthier than my obsession with getting to my goal weight!!! I <need> to let it go....

I <really>, <really> want to be like you when I grow up, Glenda! I'm taking notes....