Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 01:45

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Keep it real to stay thin

I’m not usually a fan of Amanda Ursell, but as a maintainer, I do agree with what she has to say in the following article:

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
September 7, 2010

Keep it real to stay thin

Forget crispbreads and cottage cheese. Slimmers who keep weight off eat well every day

Is there any good evidence that certain habits are more likely to lead to sustained weight loss? I lose weight quite easily, but it creeps back on.

Probably the first thing to do is to stop thinking of your weight as some kind of third person. Describing your lost weight as “it” suggests that it has a life of its own.

Once you take ownership of your pounds you can start being realistic about what you are eating. Everyone has strategies that work for them for shifting pounds and if one was to maintain them, weight would not be regained.

But it often is. Some of the best tips for sustaining weight loss come from an organisation called the National Weight Control Registry in the United States. It is a register of more than 5,000 women and men who have lost an average of 4˝ stone and kept it off for an average of 5˝ years — an impressive group of people.

The register was started in 1991 by researchers who wanted to identify the common denominators among those individuals who have succeeded at long-term weight loss. They found these successful dieters eat breakfast every day and calorie-controlled, low fat meals all week and all weekend with no regular days off.

In addition, they weigh themselves at least once a week and more than 60 per cent watch less than ten hours of television a week. Virtually all also do some kind of physical activity for about an hour a day.

The good news is that all losers say that it gets easier over time and that once you have managed to keep your weight off for two to five years, you are pretty likely to be able to maintain it for good.

This might all sound very obvious, but “getting real” and “staying real” are probably the two most important pieces of advice for weight management.

Having worked with successful and unsuccessful losers over the years, I think some other points are also very important. First, the meals you choose have to be ones you enjoy and feel excited about eating. Monotony, tastelessness and self-flagellation with crispbreads and cottage cheese is not sustainable for most people. Put real effort into making your meals tasty and delicious every day.

Secondly, your meals and snacks need to be nutritious. If you are missing out on important nutrients such as iron and iodine, zinc and selenium, you will soon feel run-down and will seek solace in biscuits or chocolate. Take multivitamin and mineral supplement with 50 -75 per cent of the RDA of nutrients each day just to be sure you are getting enough.

Next, set a realistic goal. People can look great at a wide range of weights and sizes. Losing just 10 per cent of your weight (if you need to), can lead to significant health improvements.

Finally accept that the new, smaller you, needs to eat less. Your body is smaller and you need less fuel.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/healt...icle2716219.ece
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 11:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks for the thought Demi, but I lost interest as soon as the "National Weight Control Registry" was mentioned.

FWIW Tom Venuto also has a good article on Maintainers where he says much the same things. Basically, maintainers pay attention! Unlike me on my way up!

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, Sep-07-10 at 15:59.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 17:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

thanks, Demi.