Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-09, 16:11

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default 27 weeks pregnant...

Hello everyone! I am 27 weeks pregnant with our first child. Her name will be Addison & we're so thrilled. Before I got pregnant (planned), I was 166lbs. I wish I would have low-carbed it & lost weight before, but woulda shoulda! Anyway, I am now 191.2 & really trying to hold on to that number...or at least until my next Dr. apt Feb. 5th. Thanksgiving was a horrible time for me & I was craving milk, so I drank like a gallon in 3 days, that really helped my 10 pound weight gain for that month. If it hadn't been for that bad one, I'd be in fair shape, I think.

So, in 80 some odd days I'll be delivering & have no idea what to expect weight wise. I'm obviously not going to bring in pre-pregnancy jeans or anything, but what were your weight loss realities? I know everybody is different, but I'd like an idea. How much did you lose within those 6 weeks & what made it possible to lose?

Also, I WILL be breastfeeding, no matter what, but know that LCing would bring the best results. Has anyone had good luck with this?

In the past, with LC, I lose about 20 pounds in one month. Being truly strict of course.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 15:07

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Weight loss varies from woman to woman. On my first baby, I gained very little weight and lost what I did gain within a week, but I was very overweight to start with. On my second, I gained a lot, and took a lot longer to lose it. On my third, I low carbed after I had her, and lost 40lb within the first six months.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 16:16

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'll bring a dose of bad news (so hopefully your experience won't be so bad!).

I gained 40 pounds with each pregnancy. I'm only barely 5'3". My babies are about 9 to 10 pounds each. Immediately after each baby, I had lost only about 12 to 14 pounds.
Within 6 weeks I was down MAYBE another 5. The rest I had to do low carbing.

Oh...and I nursed all my babies for at least 9 months. Didn't help me with the weightloss at all.

Be thankful you DO know how to get back to a healthier weight!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 00:11

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

I gained about 65 lbs when I was pregnant. I ate whatever and whenever I wanted and my midwife was NOT happy with me about that. After delivery, I lost about 20 lbs almost immediately. The other 45 lbs took some good ol' LCing to lose it. Over a year and a half later, the weight came of sloooowly but I'm finally back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I was also breastfeeding, that didn't help me lose one pound! Next time around, I will stay LC while pregnant and not use it as an excuse to eat ice cream every day.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 13:24

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I gained 35 lbs with my first and lost all but 5lbs within two weeks. In my case the breastfeeding definitely helped.

I gained 40 with my second and after about three weeks I was still holding onto 15 of it which easily came off when I started SB six months later.

If I ever have another baby (unlikely) I would love to try and stick with a phase three SB.

Good Luck and Congrats on your upcoming special delivery!!