Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 09:32

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default tummy tuck?

Hello, Now that I am well on my way in the weight loss game and am fairly certain I can keep it off, I'm planning on getting a much needed tummy tuck once I hit about 160 if not my goal. Has anyone done it? Are you happy with the results? Was it scary? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 16:19
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr410
Hello, Now that I am well on my way in the weight loss game and am fairly certain I can keep it off, I'm planning on getting a much needed tummy tuck once I hit about 160 if not my goal. Has anyone done it? Are you happy with the results? Was it scary? Any feedback would be appreciated.

While I think that its great for you to be so positive about getting to your goal weight...I also think that it would be wise for you to wait until you have been at your goal weight for 1 year to see how much of your skin does goes back.

I did not have a tummy tuck and some here have. I hope that they will tell you their experience with it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins ish
Stats: 200/199/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi, i'm planning--hoping--for a tummy tuck as well, if only because i've had two c-sections and a third abdominal surgery and have been told that those muscles, having been severed 3x, will never fiully flatten out no matter how much I diet and exercise...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 06:32

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

"While I think that its great for you to be so positive about getting to your goal weight...I also think that it would be wise for you to wait until you have been at your goal weight for 1 year to see how much of your skin does goes back".

In response to this, I think waiting a year would be a good idea as far as proving to myself that I can maintain, but as far as my big jelly belly, there isn't anything but surgery that can fix it. I have always had a loose tummy even when I was 140lbs and since then I have yo-yo'd up and down and had two pregnancies resulting in c-sections. My skin has been stretchd to the max. This is the first time since I gained my weight (2002-2003) that I feel confident enough in my WOE that I will get to the point where I can make such a decision.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 23:43

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'm planning on getting a tummy tuck. I asked my surgeon if any of my excess skin would go away and he told me no. No matter how many sit ups I do that skin will always be there. He also told me to take into account that I have also had a baby etc..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 09:38

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am interested, too. I tend to blame my weight because I always had a big, loose tummy (genetic) but the reality is I had three kids (8lb,6oz - 9lbs,2oz - 10lbs,10oz) in four years which also contributes. I got out of those pregnancies without even one stitch and I've never had any kind of surgery so I am pretty wary, although if they don't cut into muscle I would not be as freaked out. I would have to do a lot of thinking. I am much closer to goal now, though, so thinking about it more. Does anybody have any information about the procedure? Websites?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 09:57
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/home.do

This is a good website with forums for those considering plastic surgery. I spent some time surfing them when researching my surgery.

I am thinking of changing my username to PlasticSurgeryQueen. I have had breast reduction, abdominoplasty, brachioplasty & a medial thigh lift (that's a boob, tummy, arm and thigh tuck respectively). I *think* I'm done now. I need a butt lift, but it's not a thing you can tell you need unless you see me naked, and I am not interested in doing it.

My top weight was 340 lbs and I had massive excess skin that did not come off and even after a year wasn't budging.

I don't regret any of it. I *love* my new body and for the first time in my life, feel good about it. My body is no where near perfect, it's still a bit of a mess, the damages from obesity were rough on my body, and plastic surgery is great, but it doesn't make you everything perfect, I have big scars, lots of weird fat spots (like bra fat), dogears where the incisions end, hypertrophic scars (scars that are red & raised), cellulite, etc., but even with the meters of scars and imperfections, it was well worth it.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 10:09

BF:

My major questions is whether they cut into the muscle for a tummy tuck. That would be a dealbreaker for mne.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 10:26
Bouncy!

They don't cut into muscle to do a tummy tuck. It's all about the skin.

For many women, the rectus muscles (the long, twin vertical muscles that runs from your chest to your lower abdomen) are damaged already from pregnancy or weight gain. The rectus muscles are generally attached close to each other (by tendons?), but pregnancy often forces them apart permanently. Generally this results in a protruding stomach that isn't due to excess skin or fat. The muscles just aren't strong enough to pull you in. So, many women, in addition to the skin tuck will have a muscle repair where the surgeon stitches the two rectus muscles back together.

So, no muscle cutting, but possible muscle repair if you need it.

I've never been pregnant, and I guess most of my weight was outside the muscle rather than inside because my muscles weren't damaged, I just needed the skin tuck (much easier to recover from, the muscle repair *hurts* in recovery).

The doctor told me to check to see if you need a muscle repair - lie on your back flat out and raise your legs 6 inches off the floor to activate your abdominal muscles. Feel the center of your torso about half way between under your bra and your belly button. You should be able to feel if the two muscles are there and close to each other. If you can feel them, you are good, no muscle repair needed.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 10:30

BF:

Thanks - that's really helpful. I think my other concern is that I have pretty much never had a flat belly (genetic). I always had somewhat of an apron even when I was a small kid, so I'm worried about messing up something essential about my body.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 13:10
Bouncy!

If they aren't taking anything from you but the skin, I can't see that the apron flap is essential, but if you are concerned, you could mention it to your surgeon if you check it out further.

A picture is worth a thousand words, if you are interested, go to that website and check out the before & after pictures.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 20:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Thank you so much for sharing. I went beyond my original goal in weight loss as I was thin as a young woman. When I reached 104 lbs, I had saggy skin on my upper arms and abdomen. I gave it a short time (6 months) with no improvement, so I let myself gain a little weight back. I later thought my skin was pulling in, but I had in reality gained back to 120 lbs!

I plan to ramp up the excercise and get the weight back down. My original plan was to research a tummy tuck if I was still at 104 lbs after a year. I think I'll revert back to that plan. I think now that I'd rather have the saggy skin than risk too much weight gain just to get rid of the saggy skin. I appreciate the information on the surgery.