Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 21:02

Plan: Keto
Stats: 446/427/190 Male 6 ft. 1 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default New to Keto from Indiana

I think I’m ready to start taking my health seriously. I’m tired of being overweight and out of shape and missing out on my life. I’m married for 27 years with three children, two married and one still in home starting high school. I have so much to live for but have never really put in the effort to make my health a priority. Unfortunately I am living with the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle that limits my physical activity, which in turn causes a limitation In social and family activities. I hope to connect with people who are currently overcoming their health and weight problems, and to connect with those that have already become a health success. Looking forward to reading more on this forum and to connect with other individuals.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 21:24

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Welcome, MacGuy! There's lots of people here who can relate to what you've been going through. Also lots of good information, recipes, and support. Be sure to check out the "Best of" subforum!

I look forward to hearing more about your journey. Congratulations on that first ten pounds, GONE FOREVER!

#3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 21:25

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Welcome to a friendly & very informative forum. I can relate to feeling like I'm not putting any effort into health -- that's always changeable isn't it
I wish you continued success, you can do it -- great job on 10lbs, well done!
Hope to see you around the board
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 22:03

BF:

Thank you both for such a quick response and welcoming response to my first post. I will be checking this site often as I get started on this journey. Thanks to both of you for making me feel so welcome!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 22:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi MacGuy,
Welcome!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 02:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome MacGuy,

You have found a great forum to connect with other individuals going through the same journey and the Success Stories, which compared to some weight loss groups, has quite a few men. Grav, Thud, others, and Ken, who amazingly, has similar stats and goals to yours. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475679

And when you list Central Indiana, my thoughts go directly to Dr Sarah Hallberg in Layfatte. If you don’t want to use her program, she has had a great group of folks who meet for support in person (Jayne) share tips etc. https://m.facebook.com/pg/Dr.SarahHallberg/posts/

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468458 This link is about the Indiana program, this 18 minute TEDTalk is a must see. https://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ

ADD: I had not heard of Keto360...it is a new program from Dr Axe. The Medical Doctors who have been using Keto diets for years do not charge for supplements, Ketone activators or anything beyond the office visit. Dr Eric Westman suggests only a generic multivitamin, and a salty broth twice a day (and those cubes will do). https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

If buying a "program" will help you stay on track, then go for it. But wanted to add when read it that Keto360 is from Axe, a chiropractor, selling stuff like caffeine, protein powders, Ketone activators, etc. that are designed for his profit, not so much to benefit you on a real Ketogenic Diet.
You do not need to buy Anything but Real Food
Here are Dr Hallberg's 5 Super Simple Food rules also at above link
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...732#post9021732

Look around all the sub-forums, maybe start a Journal, join a buddy group, ask questions, do whatever is comfortable for you at this point. Great start!
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-02-18 at 06:54.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 06:26

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Welcome, MacGuy! Congratulations on making a great decision and getting good results already!
Ten years ago when I was at my heaviest, I was also troubled by physical limitations. I started doing stretching exercises from the book Get Fit in Bed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show....Get_Fit_in_Bed

Some simple exercises, done every day, made a tremendous difference. More recently, I have watched some physical therapy videos and incorporated some of them. I like these guys, and they have a lot of videos on different subjects.
7 stretches to do in bed to jump start your day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSq52v9x5w

Also, I love Dr. Ken Berry’s videos. He is direct, down to earth, and he does not sugar-coat anything!

Best wishes on your journey! The improvements ahead in your health, energy, mobility and quality of life will amaze you!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 11:39

BF:

Janet,

Thank you so much for such a detailed and informed post to me. You definitely know how to make a new person feel welcome and valued. Regarding the Keto360... I was given the book that comes with a program as free gift and it contains a lot of good information about what is Keto and the best foods to use. I don't plan on purchasing any supplements or protein powders at this time, but do plan to learn everything I can about ketosis and nutrition. I will certalnly be accessing the trove of information on this forum as well as the dietdoctor.com website. Again, thank you for the warm welcome.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 11:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
Some simple exercises, done every day, made a tremendous difference. More recently, I have watched some physical therapy videos and incorporated some of them. I like these guys, and they have a lot of videos on different subjects.
7 stretches to do in bed to jump start your day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSq52v9x5w

Also, I love Dr. Ken Berry’s videos. He is direct, down to earth, and he does not sugar-coat anything!

Best wishes on your journey! The improvements ahead in your health, energy, mobility and quality of life will amaze you!

Thank you for the welcome and the support. The exercises are a great idea that I will definitely check out. Thanks for providing that information.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 11:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome!!!

Sometimes starting with a defined program can help you get started and learn this new way of eating. OVer time you will find other resources, close to home, that are cheaper or more to your liking now that you know where to buy them and WHAT to buy.

I have an aunt that needs everything spelled out or she cannot diet.

WHat I like about Atkins, and other LCHF diets, is that I can selet the foods that fit me, my preferences, my markets, Me. I worked from the Atkins list of foods origially. ANd his rules about no breaddings, no hidden sugars etc.

Lots of support here to find foods and ingredients, when you are ready. Do what works for you. Do what gets you in the game.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 17:18

BF:

I just ordered my Keto-Mojo meter and 50 strips. I started keto on August 1. How far into this should I be before taking a meter reading?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 17:30

BF:

Have you eliminated these foods?.

Dr. Bernstein's list

Sweets and Sweeteners
• Powdered sweeteners (other than stevia)
• Candies, especially so-called sugar-free types
• Honey and fructose
• Most “diet” and “sugar-free” foods (except sugar-free Jell-O gelatin when the label doesn’t mention maltodextrin, and diet sodas that do not contain fruit juices or list other carbohydrate on the label)
• Desserts (except Jell-O gelatin without maltodextrin—no more than ½ cup per serving) and pastries: cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, et cetera
• Foods containing, as a significant ingredient, products whose names end in -ol or -ose (dextrose, glucose, lactose, mannitol, mannose, sorbitol, sucrose, xylitol, xylose, et cetera), except cellulose; also, corn syrup, molasses, maltodextrin, et cetera

Sweet or Starchy Vegetables
• Beans: chili beans, chickpeas, lima beans, lentils, sweet peas, et cetera (string beans, snow peas, and bell and chili peppers, which are mostly cellulose, are okay, as are limited amounts of many soybean products)
• Beets
• Carrots
• Corn
• Onions, except in small amounts
• Packaged creamed spinach containing flour
• Parsnips
• Potatoes
• Cooked tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and raw tomatoes except in small amounts
• Winter squash

Fruit and Juices
• All fruits (except avocados)
• All juices (including tomato and vegetable juices— except for some people, in a Bloody Mary)

Certain Dairy Products
• Milk
• Sweetened and low-fat yogurts
• Cottage cheese (except in very small amounts)
• Powdered milk substitutes and coffee lighteners
• Canned milk concentrate

Grains and Grain Products
• Wheat, rye, barley, corn, and lesser-known, “alternative” grains, such as kasha, quinoa, and sorghum
• White, brown, wild rice, or rice cakes
• Pasta
• Breakfast cereal
• Pancakes and waffles
• Bread, crackers, and other flour products

Prepared Foods
• Most commercially prepared soups
• Most packaged “health foods”
• Snack foods (virtually anything that comes wrapped in cellophane, including nuts)
• Balsamic vinegar (compared to wine vinegar, white vinegar, or cider vinegar, balsamic contains considerable sugar)
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 19:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I did keto sticks starting about day 2 of DANDR induction. Fun to see the lavendar color!!!

Do you have a plan to follow???? Because Meme left a nice list you will need to know.

Have broth available to drink, I personally use salt. But broth is homier and more food like. The bullion cubes are a god -send.

Know that the first days and weeks can be bumpy. We are here to help, as it is well worth the transition period.And no exercise is ok, you will see results. Exeercise can come into play when you are ready.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 22:59

BF:

This is the good foods list:
Note: These instructions are taken from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition. Most experienced forum members would advise you to follow these instructions and not those from New Atkins, New You, the Quick Start Guide, or the website, as the changes seem to be too liberal in favor of selling shakes and bars. This is the induction food list as Dr Atkins wrote it himself.

Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List

All fish, fowl, shellfish, meat, and eggs

Note: Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

Note: Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, cow, sheep and goat cheese, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

Cheddar; cream cheese; Gouda; mozzarella; Roquefort, and other blue; Swiss cheese; Brie; Parmesan; Havarti; etc

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Salad Vegetables
These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

You can have two to three, cups per day of any combination of the following:

Alfalfa sprouts, daikon radish, mushrooms, arugula, endive, parsley, bok choy, escarole, peppers, celery, fennel, radicchio, chicory, jicama, radishes, chives, lettuce, romaine lettuce, cucumber, mâche, sorrel, spinach

Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these vegetables, in any combination if your salad portion does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

Artichoke, celery root, pumpkin, artichoke hearts, rhubarb, asparagus, chard, sauerkraut, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red, green, Savoy), cauliflower, chayote, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Special Category Foods
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, 2 Tbsp. of sour cream, or unsweetened heavy or light cream (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content), as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Herbs and Spices
Use all herbs and spices to taste, but make sure that spice blends contain no added sugar.

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Use butter. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.)

You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including: filtered water, mineral water, spring water, and tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 1.4 grams carbohydrate per Tablespoon); limit to two to three tablespoons

*Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content.

While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 23:48

BF:

Thank you for the great info on the good food and the food to avoid. I drink A lot of water at work Almost a gallon each day.I’m starting to drink my coffee plain black with no sweetener or anything else ion it. That will take some getting used to. It’s only been three full days, but I’ve been pretty good at tracking what I eat and counting the carbs and today I kept it under 30 g. So far I’ve lost 15 pounds from a week ago. So I’m doing something right