Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question Does CALP work???

I don't know about the rest of you...but it really helps me to read and re-read what others write about having success with CALP. From all the reading I've been doing, I read that some people do better with Atkins' and in short, that different programs work for different people.

The following is for those like me. Those who come here for motivation and wisdom, shared by the rest of our CALPers. These are posts that I've found talking about losing on CALP. I put them all together so you can feast your eyes like I did!!

(I don't imagine eny other member minding me posting their posts here again...If anyone does, just let me know and I'll delete it)
---------------------------------------2/15/02--------------------------------
Madihah1New Member
Plan: CAD
Stats: 211/199/140
This is the second time around for me on CAD.
It does work!
I originally lost 20lbs on it in within 6-8 weeks.
I started eating my 1 carb meal a day (reward meal) but this soon became two meals or I'd extend my 1 hour eating time.
I think you really have to be in the right frame of mind to do it. I have to honestly say that I didn't get the craving for carbs throughout the day it was just bad eating habits reappearing.
If your like me and cannot give up your carbs totally and are serious about sticking to the one reward meal a day then give it a try.
The Heller's don't really emphasis the importance of drinking water but please try and drink loads of it with CAD, it has been my salvation.
Been on CAD 19 days lost 8lbs. Not as much first time around but I attend to stick with this for life.
Good luck
Madihah
-----------------------------------------------------

Plan: Dr.Atkins changed to CAD/CALP
Stats: 200/182/180
I lost 2lbs at the end of the first week on Cad and maintained it on the second day so i feel good. this makes a 12lb loss including the induction on atkins. I like this diet so much better. I can handle it .Wawtigress
-------------------------------------------------------
Dec-28-01 04:17
Hi, glad to hear from you. I'm doing the Calp but using the charts and info also in CAd. I was on atkins induction and lost 10 lbs in a month but stopped losing and was going crazy cooking different meals for my husband and myself . It is difficult enough cooking for two people and i was having a terrible time with swelling from the salt . I switched and after the 6th day of the entry portion of CAD i had lost 3 lbs. but on Xmas day we went to a buffet and most of the food was carbs and I gained back two lbs. but it could be the salt again. not being able to control.But I love this way of eating , no more false food and having to prepare all the time ahead. I eat protein and veggies for break and lunch and then at dinner , I have a salad ,meat and carb. I try to choose only one carb. If I'm dying for a potato then I have it but not a roll and dessert also unless it is diet jello. mostly I choose a muffin for my starch. it gives me my carb and sweet.This being a breakfast or a cake muffin. you're only supposed to lose 1-2 lbs a week same as on atkins but with better food so I will stick with it and tweek it to fit my bodies needs. I have even thought that after a few weeks try atkins induction for a week or so and then back to CALPsince i didn't gainany weight lost back when i switched before .keep checking in, my daughter is also switching to Cad?CAlp.She is Samtigress. lots of luck. Wawtigress
wawtigress and SAMTigress,
It's so cute to see you both on here. I'm glad you found a plan that you like. Will check in to see how it goes. Am interested in how this plan works...it sounds do-able. The book I read, "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds!" by Dana Carpender listed this plan in her book also. Sometimes I use it's ideas if I know I am going out to dinner. You just have to make sure and plan ahead and watch your carbs in the breakfast and lunch---and not snack. I like having that flexibility. Fran McCullough's "Low-Carb Cookbook" suggests that it is better to eat the carbs in the morning, because your body can handle it better. So...I keep learning! Good to hear from you two and Kezza too. Victoria
---------------------------------------------------------
wawtigressSenior Member
-about CAd/CALP
I picked up both books and read . you are not to have carbs in the breakfast or lunch meal except for the green veggies. then at dinner you must eat the entire meal at one sitting including dessert in one hour or less. not one minute past. It has to do with the insulin your body produces.you'll lose about 1-2 lbs. a week ,the same as atkins after the induction. so I enjoy the one meal of anything i want under there guidelines and no artificial foods.You have to discipline yourself but I don't get hungry between meals and it is easy to follow. Just don't binge out.You'll really need to read the book to get the concept. And you need to weigh yourself everyday and record then average at end of week . this gives you an exact weight loss with the daily ups and downs . If all goes well at the end of Sunday and the 2 week entry period , I will have lost 2 lbs to go with the 10 from the 4 weeks on atkins with all the first few days and nothing afterward. so we'll see. Wawtigress
-------------------------------------------------------------

dreamrehNew Member
Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 260/195/140
I've been on CAD for 6 months. I have lost a total of 65 pounds.
It works for me. Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

wawtigress,
I have not done anything different than following the Heller's Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart program. This is their most recent book. I also go out to dinner once a week and don't worry about having the correct portions. This has been working for me. The food I eat at home is pretty simple. Eggs, turkey burgers, chicken, fish, tuna, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, and lots of salad. My carbohydrates are usually potatoes, rice, or corn. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Dreamreh
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

dreamrehNew Member
Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 260/195/140
Hi SAMT and WAWT,
I'll try to answer both of your questions at the same time. I very rarely eat desserts. Sweets were never my downfall. Give me fast food or junk food any day. The diet has pretty much eliminated my desire for those things. I have to admit that Christmas was a little hard. I did eat sweets that day. I knew I was going to do that ahead of time. I returned to my WOE the next day.
I began this WOE on June 26. I reached 203 at approx. 5 months into it. I have lost more and am about 195. I don't weigh that often. I was surprised how the weight kept coming off. It is really slowing down now though. Which is o.k. If you are wondering if I exercise the answer is NO. I know I need to start but that is one thing I keep putting off.
Talk to you later.
Dreamreh
------------------------------------------------------------
Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/262.7/165
It works!!
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to pop in and tell you how i went on my first week on Basic Plan of CALP.
Over the course of the week my weight went up and down, as the Heller's said it would and when I worked out the average weight for the week I was the same as the beginning!!! YAY!! Why am I so excited???
well, firstly, I ate alot of very yummy 'take-away ' during the last week (following the CALP Reward Meal guidelines though) and... secondly, it is nearly TOM and I always put on 3 to 6 pounds or more just before!!! Then just when I was really happy about how CALP was going I weighed myself this morning and I was 119kg or 262.4 pounds.
That is two pounds lower than my average weight for last week!!
Yes, I know that my weight will go up and down this week too and I will wait until I can average it out over this week before changing my statistics....but I could'nt wait to tell you all that CALP is working for me too!!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Plan: CALP since Jan 1/02
Stats: 189/181.5/135
I lost 3 pounds as of this past Weds. since Jan 1 on CALP. I like this plan since it helps prevent me from getting the type 2 diabetes that runs in my family, and I can more easily get through the day if I know I can have a carb of my choice at my reward meal.
I have used the Yahoo group called "MyCAFriends" run by a friend of the Heller's. You're right WAWtigress, it is a bit intimidating to join. I find that I don't post there often, but if I do, the group are experts at answering any detailed question you might have that you can't find the answer to in the books. They also have a massive database of recipes you can look up. These recipes are for people on the Heller's plan, but are different than the recipes in the Heller's cookbook.
Good luck to everyone keep up the good work! ---Cady.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Jan-13-02 13:49
ladybugvvRegistered Member
Stats: 182/173/140
I started this diet on Dec. 31, and have lost 6 pounds so far. I know I didn't gain three or four pounds a week (usually) before I started this WOL, so I am very happy losing 2-3 per week. Actually, I am ecstatic!
I don't obsess about my reward meal at all. It is easier to avoid temptation by telling myself I can have it later. And I only eat a tiny percentage of the junk I used to stuff myself with. I just think of it as dinner w/ dessert. Just don't look at my journal for this week. I need to improve the quality. This is not an excuse to call Domino's!
If the loss stops, I will change to Atkins, but for right now, I am okay. Fitday says I need to lose 1.5 pounds per week to reach my goal by 6/1, and I expect to be able to do so.
Anyway, I will keep doing this as long as it works. I have little willpower, and this is helping me grow stronger as I grow thinner...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jan-15-02 13:55
VictoriaSenior Member
Plan: The Atkins Diet, CAD and CALP
Stats: 260/245/235
I've been doing CAD/CALP for almost 4 weeks now, and besides a little tweaking here and there, I've been doing well and enjoying it. If all goes well, I'll have lost another 1.5 pounds by the weekend.
I wish you well with whatever you choose and please come back again. Let us know how things are going.
Have a super LCing day everyone. God bless.
SAMTigress (aka - Susan)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Jan-18-02 07:35
Tara44New Member
Stats: 272/267/150
WOW!! Just 10 lbs to lose!! I envy you. I have 110 lbs to lose. This should be a very simple program for you. Just follow the book and don't cheat and you WILL lose your 10 lbs! I started CAD 12 days ago and have lost 17 lbs!! I totally cut out my soda and quit eating dessert every night. I also cut out my chinese food which I was eating at least 2 x's a week. I've noticed the cravings for these foods went away starting with the second week. Don't get me wrong, when I see sweets or think about pasta, pizza or subs, I do want them, but not as bad. I can control myself now. I wouldn't have been able to pass up a dough nut or muffin or pizza 2 weeks ago, that I do know.
Best of luck to you!!!
--------------------------------------------------------
Jan-19-02 09:59
SAMTigressSenior Member
Plan: The Atkins Diet, CAD and CALP
Stats: 260/245/235
14 down, and more to go...
Hi everybody,
Hope you are all doing well. I am. 14 pounds since November 30th, and 2 pounds since December 23rd. Not as much as I'd like to see shed, but I'm content.
I started an on-line journal. Its listed under "SAMTigress' LCing Journey" -- feel free to take a peek.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, glad to see you're trying CAD/CALP.I have been on it for 5 weeks and lost 6 lbs. along with 10 from Atkins for a total lose of 16 lbs in 2 months. So I'm happy. Wish I hadn't wasted so much time on Atkins. I'm getting the hang of what to eat and when and this past week , instead of the 1/2 lb losses each week, I lost 2 lbs. So I hope I can keep it up to 1-2 lbs a week which is healthy loss to keep off. If not the 1/2 lb is good . The weight is still coming off. Hang in there . I find my appetite has gone way done . I can go from Brunch to Dinner with no problem.Have a great day. Wawtigress
wawtigress
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hang on ,Joanne
I know what you mean about low fat. I think one of the reasons I was so slow on Atkins and Cad to start is I was low fat dieting and not losing anything. I think your body has to adjust when you go from one to the other . Now when I went from Atkins to CAd I followed as closely as possible to CAd and didn't gain any weight back at all and I was terrified I would. I just started losing slowly (about 1/2 lb a week for first two weeks and then it started being a little more.Just watch the portions and starches and desserts. If I have a potato,roll,corn,past etc. ,I will not have a cake ,pie type dessert. I will go with jello or pudding. When I don't have bread or the above, I may choose cake,pie etc. then.NOw i have had a small potato with my meal and a cake ,pie etc dessert and it didn't affect me but I don't go this route more than once aweek . Now you will lose 1/2 lb the other way but I prefer to tweak and do the above and go for the 1-2 lb a week loss. No more than this tho' so it will stay gone. Hope this helps. Wawtigress
-----------------------------------------------

Sample reward meals:
Salad (1-2 cups) first
steak (protein) the size of the palm of your hand
potatoe,stuffing,applesauce,roll, (high carb) pick only one
brussell sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, (low carb)
water, water, water
all reward meals must be equal portions...

Salad (1-2 cups)
Chicken breast (palm size)
pasta w/marinara sauce (palm size)
broccoli
water, water, water

Salad (1-2 cups)
Fish,steak, or chicken
low carb veggie
palm size dessert of your choice
water, water, water

*if you don't want low carb cooked veggies with every meal..I will have a buch of raw veggies after my salad with the left over dressing in my bowl...radishes,celery and cucumber....It helps me a lot...I get sick of cooked veggies!!
Hope this helps!!
Tara
--------------------------------------------------
Jan-25-02 12:19
Still losing on CAD/CALP
I've been on this diet for 6 weeks and lost 6 1/2 lbs. and eating good food. I am watching my meals so I don't overdo and making my reward meal normal portions not going back for seconds because if you do at the end of the line you'll gain it all back if you don't train yourself to eat normal portions. The GTF chromium tablets really help me (one of the Options on the plan). My appetite has really gone to far far away. I go from breakfast now until dinner without lunch and if i do want lunch I eat a small salad or piece of meat. ( read in an article one time that the reason people gain weight is when you read the nutrition label on a food and it tells you what a serving is and you eat more than that serving ,the excess will go to fat. Do that enough times and you gain weight) Anyway that's what works for me not necessarily what will work for other people. I just know that while I'm not feeling hunger , I'm going to take advantage to shrink my stomach so when I get to the end of the line I will not have the urge to overeat. Wawtigress
----------------------------------------------------------

I thought these were kind of interesting and helpful...Hope you enjoyed them! -Rain
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 06:56

Plan: SOUTH BEACH
Stats: 151.2/146/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default THAT WAS GREAT

THAT WAS REALLY INSPIRING RAIN. I DO GET EXTREMELY DISCOURAGED. WHEN THAT SCALE DOES NOT MOVE OR GOES UP, WHICH IT HAS, I FEEL SO DEFEATED AND READY TO GIVE UP.
I LIKE READING OTHER PEOPLE'S STORIES. THANKS.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 19:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up RAIN............Thank you!

..........for taking the time to put this together. That was very encouraging to read all of the success stories !

If they can do it............we all can too! Right?

JoAnnAtkin in TEXAS
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/183/120
BF:
Progress: 14%

Very enlighting reading. Thanks for going to all the trouble to do this. What I see/read, if you want to see results, follow the program. What I like about this is if you fall off, its always there to go back to. None of us are perfect, and we will have good and bad days, but with the support of others we will win.

Well back to reading. Have a great day.

Barb
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 03:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314.5/295.5/200 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks for this. I have been searching for people that have had success on CAD or CALP like I see on Atkins this was encouraging.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 13:57
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Fun thread- thanks, Rain.Does it work- yup. It is also a good idea to see people posting now who are successful, and click on the link to their other posts and to their journals.
E