Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#721   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Related, Miriam Kalamian's book recommendation:

" While I urge everyone to learn more about mitochondria, perhaps instead of approaching your study through the eyes of researchers, pick up a copy of science writer's Nick Lane's book Power, Sex and Suicide: Mitrochondria and the Meaning of Life. What a fascinating read!"

So I now have a copy from the library, and know by "fascinating" she did not mean an easy or a short book. About same number of pages as the Lipton book. I haven't been able to find the time for it at all...so many other new book requests came in at once. I am easily sidetracked by Sisson and Emmerich's new books bright color photos , but promise to give mitochondria a try...someday.

And nothing to do with Low Carb. At. All. I recommend my other distraction Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II

Thanks for tips! Sounds fascinating.
Sponsored Links
  #722   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
DH and I read this book The Biology of Belief years ago. I think I need to re-read it with eyes focused on fasting and health.

I remarkable story of healing, "Meditation Saved My Life: a Tibetan Lama and the Healing Power of Mind" by Phakyab Rinpoche.

It's been a while since I have read this so I am not sure how well it speaks to non-Buddhists but the story is true and remarkable. It's always puzzled me why westerners need the "proof" of science to confirm what meditation masters have known and demonstrated all along, the mind can be trained to do remarkable things including sometimes to heal the body. Science may unravel the physical underpinnings of what various forms of meditation can accomplish but the proof of its efficacy is in the faces, demeanors and attitudes of the many meditation masters from the Dalai Lama to Thich Nhat Hanh and many more.

Jean
  #723   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-17, 11:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywhaz5z0qs

I haven't watched this myself yet. Rhonda Patrick interviewing Dr. Satchin Panda for a second time on implementing the "feeding window" version of intermittent fasting.
  #724   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-17, 12:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

One interesting observation in here regarding circadian meal timing, intermittent fasting and calorie restriction--in the calorie restriction studies, mice are usually fed at the beginning of the day, that's circadian inappropriate because they're a nocturnal species, and they'll tend to binge, so that it turns into an off-phase intermittent fasting intervention.

But they have to be cage separately, or they'll eat each other. So there's that. But fast a mouse for 24 hours and they could be another 5 or 6 days away from starvation, I guess it's not shocking that they turn to eating their neighbour's brains a bit sooner than we do.
  #725   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-17, 16:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
DH and I read this book The Biology of Belief years ago. I think I need to re-read it with eyes focused on fasting and health.

I remarkable story of healing, "Meditation Saved My Life: a Tibetan Lama and the Healing Power of Mind" by Phakyab Rinpoche.

It's been a while since I have read this so I am not sure how well it speaks to non-Buddhists but the story is true and remarkable. It's always puzzled me why westerners need the "proof" of science to confirm what meditation masters have known and demonstrated all along, the mind can be trained to do remarkable things including sometimes to heal the body. Science may unravel the physical underpinnings of what various forms of meditation can accomplish but the proof of its efficacy is in the faces, demeanors and attitudes of the many meditation masters from the Dalai Lama to Thich Nhat Hanh and many more.

Jean

This is exactly one of Lipton's premises in "The Biology of Belief," that how we think or believe (positively or negatively) has much to do with our mental and physical health.

I just watched a very interesting documentary available for those with Amazon Prime called "The Healing Field." It's a broad study and exploration of alternative techniques for health and wellness. Bruce Lipton, Lynne McTaggart, and others who have studied things like meditation, remote healing, homeopathy, mental imagery, and several other techniques explain the approaches and how these practices work. Environment can turn genetic characteristics on or off, and there is ample evidence Quantum Mechanics (considering consciousness as a key component) and Epigenetics (considering environment as a key component) prove that changes occur at the cellular level that have a major impact in a much shorter time (think dietary influences) than evolutionary changes at the gene level caused by mutation, which takes many many generations. Fascinating stuff and the fact that we westerners are starting to prove some of this scientifically means that our cultures and practices are beginning to converge.
  #726   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 10:46

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Dr. Fung is on the warpath again re conflicts of interest in the medical profession, albeit relatively subdued for him. https://idmprogram.com/clinical-pra...alized-bribery/

Quote:
Guidelines are better thought of as marketing materials rather than road maps to improved medical care. This stems directly from the root corruption of the people writing these tainted reports that now guide all of clinical medicine.

I was glad to see him mention antidepressants, though I thought he sounded a little cavalier in his examples - "Your dog is sick – you need drugs!". Having been down that road, I can say it was pure desperation that led me to seek out and continue trying medication. Psychiatrists are probably the absolute worst in never presenting an alternative. They don't have time for therapy and they sure never recommend anything that smacks of "alternative health", not even exercise, which incidentally was shown to be as effective as Zoloft in a Duke University study some years back. When I asked my psychiatrist about supplementing with magnesium, he said "don't bother" with a scientific-sounding reason attached. Fortunately, I ignored him and found my best almost-cure.

Dr. Fung comments on the new hypertension guidelines too:

Quote:
Just recently, the American College of Cardiology (ACC) released new guidelines lowering the definition of high blood pressure to 130/80. This immediately makes over half of Americans defined as having high blood pressure. While the committee was relatively free of COI, it was not noted that on average, each editor of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC) received $475,072 in 2014 from Big Pharma. Who made this change? Oh, right. The ACC. Where was it published? Oh, right. JACC. The fact that millions more patients would be looking at starting new medications for the newly diagnosed ‘high blood pressure’ surely did not escape the notice of those pharmaceutical companies paying off the editors.

That's a shocking amount of money!

Where are the investigative journalists on this??
  #727   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 12:04
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Although the Nutrition World has been upside down for some 50 years, the Other World has only been wrecked for a few. Investigative Journalists are busy with "fake" vs "real" everything. With human rights disappearing right and left, we and the journalists are kept distracted while big pharma, big oil, big banks, big insurance and big money go about their business of stealing everything that isn't nailed down.
  #728   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 13:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hmmm, apparently the big drug company Novartis sponsors a grant for university grad students, here in the US at least, and possibly elsewhere. Any grad student in the US is eligible to apply by submitting a proposal for a research study they would like to do, and Novartis then selects one winner who is given $10,000 personally plus $65,000 to fund their research project.

My niece is a grad student in microbiology and pretty busy between her own studies and teaching four undergrad biology classes, but all her professors urged her to find the time to write the proposal and apply for the grant, and so she did.

And she was the winner! Her proposal was chosen! It’s been a big deal with her university throwing a party for her, and Novartis will shortly be on campus to make a big deal of the presentation.

But what makes it interesting to me? Well my niece is really into science, with dual undergrad degrees in microbiology and biochemistry, and now her grad studies - but is also a lover of alternative practices and is a certified yoga instructor and a reiki practitioner as well.

And her grant proposal was to study whether a regimen of vitamins, minerals, herbals, and things like yoga and reiki would work as effectively as drugs, if not better, in combating “disease x” (lol I forget which disease). Anyway my big shock is that a DRUG company like Novartis would choose a proposal like this!

Unless the hope she’ll fail to show benefits and they can go “Nyah Nyah”. But that feels just a tad too devious somehow. We’ll have to see how it plays out in 2018 when she actually does the study.
  #729   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 15:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Where are the investigative journalists on this??

Unfortunately, there are only a few journalists with enough knowledge to mount a challenge to this type of study and recommendations. We know them and can probably count them on one hand. The rest? People magazine and other pubs of that ilk keep them busy reporting fake news and distorted "scientific" human interest stories that likely come about as they choose their sponsors for that particular issue. Quite a productive vertical business model in my opinion.
  #730   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jason tweets: "New YouTube Lecture discussing maintaining weight loss using fasting. One of my favorites"

Therapeutic Fasting - Dr Jason Fung. Filmed at the Public Health Collaboration Conference Nov 2017 in Manchester.

https://t.co/xUiRaRR46f

Www.PHCuk.org
Next conference will be May 2018 in London.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Nov-25-17 at 04:24.
  #731   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 08:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
When I asked my psychiatrist about supplementing with magnesium, he said "don't bother" with a scientific-sounding reason attached. Fortunately, I ignored him and found my best almost-cure.

Good for you! I had a similar experience.

I was put on gabapentin for some terrible nerve pain from shingles. But when the shingles had subsided I got a tapering off schedule that lasted 18 months.

I cut it to four by using chelated magnesium to deal with the considerable side effects. And I still love magnesium.
  #732   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 10:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This comment is only tangentially related to fasting, and maybe it belongs in the War Zone...but yikes, Jimmy Moore is immense. I saw this photo of him in side view...He appears back near his original size. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrIfx5pfKfk
I haven't followed him in video, and haven't heard him since his Fasting podcast went down the tubes, not a fan of Adam Nally either, but what the heck happened? teaser, do you still listen to him? There was another YouTube with someone named Scott the TruckDriver but could not tolerate listening to that guy either.
This all happened after he went on extended fasts...you know he does nothing in moderation...including weight regain. The anti-keto, anti-fast group will have a field day.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Nov-29-17 at 12:32.
  #733   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 12:51

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This comment is only tangentially related to fasting, and maybe it belongs in the War Zone...but yikes, Jimmy Moore is immense.

I think it is always fair to consider the source when evaluating someones position. That being said, how much should people allow that to affect the message. Some examples:

If a pastor commits a sin, does that disqualify him form preaching?

If a marriage counselor gets divorced, does that mean their advice is no longer valid?

If a stock broker declares bankruptcy, should he find another profession

Its certainly fair, and probably normal, for people to use that criteria when evaluating someones advice. I don't know much about Jimmy Moore, so I am skeptical to take advice regarding weight loss from him, but based on the linked video, he does seem to be a good advocate for his point of view.
  #734   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 12:59
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I guess this might belong in the War Zone, as there will be many opinions.

My DH just changed Medicare Advantage Plans because the cardiologist assigned to him is morbidly obese. In his words, "A heart attack in waiting."

How important does the advice have to be to our well-being before we ignore/deprecate that advice when it comes from somebody who is obviously failing to follow that advice?
  #735   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 13:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I wonder what happened. I hope he can turn things around.

Jean