Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:20

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question KarenB

What flavor of syrup do you use with the Banana Walnut flavored mix?? Also, what brand of syrup do you use regularly?

thanks,
Tesia
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 00:07

Plan: Lindora
Stats: 280/255/180
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Carbolite ice cream mix

SO...tried the vanilla and chocolate ice cream mixes. The stuff was like CONCRETE!! Couldn't dig it out of the container they said to freeze it in. And texture? Definately NOT melt-in-your-mouth!! The stuff was awful. I'd be better off frezzing whipping cream with some unsweetened vanilla in a baggie.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 00:13

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool Like Minds

Wow, LCnursie--sounds like I'm not the only one who thinks "Carbolite" is synonymous with "mostly inedible"!

I read in someone's journal (I think.... or perhaps it was over in the newbie boards, I've read a *lot* on here lately) that a tasty creamy treat is a small amount of whipped cream mixed with a little cocoa, put into a small container and frozen. The woman who tried this trick claimed it was "like the creamiest ice cream you've ever had in your life." (That's pretty close to a quote, anyway.) Might be worth a shot, if you're an ice-cream kinda person who just can't do without.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default carbolite thin chips

UGGGHHH!! This was some kind of nasty, and it cost me almost 4 dollars. I hate the prices of some of these things. but some are definately worth it. just bought some sweet gerkins made with splenda, out of australia, called always fresh. very good stuff. just bought the keto crispies has anyone tried them yet?
Jane
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:11

Cool I heard somewhere...

... that someone on here thought the KetoCrisp was ok, but the KetoMilk was disgusting. My words, not theirs--I can't remember who said it!!!

Seems that my hypothesis holds true: Carbolite means YUK.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Cereal Yuck

I purchased the regular and the chocolate keto crisp cereal based on the great panel review on another site and oh was it awful. I can pretty much put away any sort of food even if I dont like it.

This cereal was the worst it was like chewing on a sponge that had been ground up into little pieces. The more I chewed the more it expanded in my mouth. The regular flavor I couldnt eat at all, the chocolate I can stomach if its dry without the Keto milk which wasnt a favorite of mine either.

My advice is to stay clear of the cereal all together, go for flax its much better tasting.

I hope that helps.

Shannon
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:00
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

OK, Then.
Maybe I can crush it and use it as a pie crust?. The carbolite chocolate candy was excellent, but definately has a laxative effect. I got some of the Twist mentioned here, and its very good, I use it as frosting on cookies and in my icream cake. here is the recipe

4 ounces cream cheese soft
4 ounces sour cream
1/2 stick butter, soft
2 eggs
1 cup splenda or sweetener
2 TBS of liquid sacchrine
3 TBS cocoa
1/2 cup cream + a bit if thick
1 tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 Cup oat-gluten (50-50 blend)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

mix all wet ingredients, mix all dry ingredients mix dry into wet untill well blended, it will be thick, add cream or water as necessary. bake in loaf pan at 350 till done, cool, slice long way down the loaf, into thirds. frost with twist chocolate spread.

make a mixture for a batch of the "kisses" in the recipe folder. layer frosted cake and cream mixture; starting with frosted cake and ending with it too. ( I place cling wrap back into the loaf pan and layer it that way) pressing it all to make firm. make sure frosting is spread all on top. freeze. (Hint, when almost completely froze, remove and slice into servings, then wrap those individually and finish freezing,) just plate up and serve slightly thawed. with a dallop of fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of s/f choco syrup. enjoy
Jane
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:19

BF:
Default Thanks Jane

That does sound good - I'm obviously not as creative as you when it comes to coming up with stuff.

Anything that works with LC products send them our way.

Shannon
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 21:34

BF:
Talking Peaches and Cream Keto Shake

I received my order of Keto peaches and cream shake mix and absolutely loved it. I think its very good and very peachy. Of the 6 I have ordered already not one is a yuck dont ever order again.

These shakes are good at home in the blender or at work with a hand held shaker cup. This recieves 2

Enjoy...
Shannon
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:15

Thumbs up Frozen pancakes

Just a quick report:

The FlaxOMeal banana walnut pancakes I packaged in Ziplocs and froze a couple of weeks back have now been tested.

They passed.

A little bit soggy from the microwaving, but perfectly edible and just as tasty once they get the butter and syrup on 'em.

Nice to know one doesn't have to throw out any unused batter as is suggested on the packaging. I'm glad I went ahead and cooked up the entire 8 servings and took the chance on the freezer!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 15:23

Plan: Metabolic diet
Stats: 310/190/150
BF:
Progress:
Default FlaxOmeal Pancakes, etc

Hi Y'all!!!
Julee here just back from Atlanta meeting with our new packaging facility. Way cool. On the pancakes and waffles, you can go ahead and make as many as you want, but just don't keep the batter. (although one man said he did and it made pancakes just fine the next day. For ME, it did NOT work to save the batter, it changed the whole texture) You can even freeze the pancakes or waffles without any loss in taste or texture. I love the waffles the best, especially when they get really crisp and brown on the outside. I ONLY use Log Cabin Sugar Free syrup....can't stand any of the other ones. We have our own brand coming out because we really couldn't find one we liked to go over our waffles.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:28
Registered Member

BF:

good afternoon, have been down with the flu. nasty stuff going around this year, and speaking of NASTY, you are so right about the keto crispies. DH poured a serving with milk and I had to RUN it out to the trash it smelled so bad. he got a spoonful in his mouth and I thought he was going to barf. well, live and learn, for every 10 bad ones there will be one thing that's great and makes life easier. hope all is well in low carb land.
Jane
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:01
Registered Member

Stats: 355/321/215
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default LC foods I like

Just my humble opinions below:

I didn't like the carbolite zero carb pancake mix, until I added a spoon of low carb peanut butter into the mix. Now they are my favorite pancakes.

Atkins and DaVinci pancake syrups are fairly tasteless and overpriced compared to Log Cabin Lite syrup with Splenda.

I like the LC mac and cheese just because it's a totally different kind of LC food from all the meat and eggs. I added some extra cheese and had it with a small steak. It's not Kraft Cheese and Macaroni, but at least it adds some variety to meals.

The Keto cocoa tasted like flavored water until I started adding a spoon or two of heavy cream to the mix. Now that's good.

And the Atkins baking mix is dreadful for baking but is a great breading for tenederized steak, just dip it in egg, dredge it in Atkins bake mix and fry it up.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:42

Cool I'm with you on the cocoa, Lee

I *always* add heavy cream to my KetoCocoa. Otherwise it's as you said: water with a little flavor and dark color.

I thought about the Log Cabin Lite, but when I compared the carb count to the Vermont Maple sugar-free, I couldn't justify taking in 12 when I could have 4. And I really *do* like the flavor and consistency of the Vermont brand. Just MHO, of course.

Time to put the kidlet to bed... TTFN!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Just so we're not comparing apples and oranges

The Atkins' and DaVinci Gourmet are ZERO carb syrups, sweetened with Splenda only.

The Log Cabin and any other syrup with carbohydrates in the form of sugar alcohols or glycerine (bulk sweeteners) are NOT zero carb; they get that nice texture and reminder of sugar on the tongue because bulk sweeteners ARE carbs, just like sugar...

" pick yer poison ", as they say ... and watch your serving sizes