Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 09:38

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
I wear sunscreen when I'm going to be out in the sun significantly more than normal.

You can use a sun BLOCK like clear titanium oxide instead of a sun screen if you are going to be out for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeXt...player_embedded
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 11:24

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Ahh, good idea.
  #168   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 03:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Vitamin D Prevents Cancer: Is It True?this is an interesting overview of the issue of vitamin D supplementation.
The information presented will be familiar to the regulars here but for those who have read the recent doubters it may be worth your while to actually listen to what Carole Baggerly and Cedric Garland have to say.
Do remember no one can make any money out of promoting vitamin D3. It's free from sunlight or cheap from supplements.

Look this link below comes from DermatologyTimes.
If even Derms are waking up to reality things are actually beginning to change.

While the sun shines: Debating D: Study sees 'growing epidemic' of vitamin deficiency

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Jul-03-09 at 04:08.
  #169   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 06:47

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

This is nice to see...
Quote:
"Growing evidence suggests that higher vitamin D levels are needed for optimal health and that vitamin D has a wide safety margin, with doses up to 10,000 IU daily generally considered safe."
The below is not encouraging given that there are far reaching impacts of exposure to sunlight beyond just that of vitamin D & skin cancer. Every living thing on earth vibrates to the energy of the sun, including humans, and no life would be possible on earth without it. Proper sunlight & bright light exposure has far reaching affects on the human condition beyond just that of vitamin D alone.
Quote:
"Even if the IOM decides to increase its recommendation for daily intake of vitamin D, many dermatologists say this should be accomplished through dietary means and supplements rather than through increased exposure to sunlight."
But I like this guy!...
Quote:
"It may take thousands of years for the new equilibrium to establish itself. In the meantime, as the pendulum shifts from one extreme to another, one might reflect on the increased risk of suicide associated with low total annual sunshine, as reported in 2002 in Japan. This might bolster — correctly or not — the call for an increase in judicious sun exposure."
But not too much...
Quote:
"In the meantime," Dr. Zachary says, "we should just pop a few extra pills each morning to delay the inevitable."
As if taking vitamin D pills is a direct replacement for obtaining regular 'judicious' exposure to sunlight... It isn't, and the two are not interchangeable. The spectrum of light involved with sunlight has benefits and impacts on human's beyond just that of creation of the sunshine vitamin.

----

Quote:
"The AAD and dermatologists recommend avoiding excessive sun exposure — and this is still good advice," says Steven R. Feldman, M.D., Ph.D., professor of dermatology, pathology and public health sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, N.C.

"Even the leading vitamin D proponent doesn't recommend excessive UV exposure. I take a vitamin D supplement daily. There's no need to damage the skin in order to get adequate vitamin D. Oral supplements work well, and patients can have their blood vitamin D level checked to make sure they're working," he says.

Dr. Feldman adds that while there may be some benefit from having higher levels of vitamin D, there also can be potential risks.

Omaha, Neb., dermatologist Joel Schlessinger, M.D., agrees.

"There is a concern about oversupply of vitamin D," he says. "It can increase calcification and lead to kidney stones and hypertension. Granted, this is rare, but it's becoming more common among people who take excessive amounts of vitamin D.

"My suggestion is to increase the amount of fish in the diet as a way to get a reasonable amount of vitamin D.

"It may be that people are eating less fresh fish, and that could be part of the problem in terms of the decreasing amounts of vitamin D among Americans," he says.
Yes, I agree that excessive exposure should be avoided, but a moderate controlled level of exposure is most likely not going to cause more problems than it solves, especially since vitamin D can be generated in such time frames that are classified as moderate and not excessive in terms of length of exposure for most Caucasians and lighter skinned individuals.

Good to see that the usual toxicity and oversupply warnings are still making sure to show up to such occasions again, per usual. The misunderstanding of D & calcification problems remains rampant. I also enjoyed the 'increase fish consumption' recommendation as well (easier said than done given mercury concerns, which are quite real)... to obtain a 'reasonable supply;' For a rat, perhaps.
  #170   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 06:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
There is a concern about oversupply of vitamin D," he says. "It can increase calcification and lead to kidney stones and hypertension. Granted, this is rare, but it's becoming more common among people who take excessive amounts of vitamin D.
I love this. Again and again.

No calcification if you take D with it's synergistic components, magnesium, and vitamins A and K2.

And what about the studies that have show vitamin D reduces hypertension?

It's the same regurgitation.
  #171   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 232/219/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
No calcification if you take D with it's synergistic components, magnesium, and vitamins A and K2.

Are you seriously suggesting any amount of vitamin D can be taken as long as the magnesium, and vitamins A and K2 are increased in proportion
  #172   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:19

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Final Word
what happened to this?
  #173   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Vitamin D has proven toxicity, it would be irresponsible to allow it to be implied that it does not, especially as someone on this thread says they're thinking of taking 50,000 IU/D

I'd rather look stupid than acquiesce in someone damaging their health.

Last edited by Lere : Mon, Jul-06-09 at 02:18. Reason: Typo
  #174   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lere
Vitamin D has proven toxicity, it would be irresponsible to allow it to be implied that it does not, especially as someone on this thread says they're thinking of taking 50,000 IU/D
No you are irresponsible in not making any effort to understand the science that I keep putting before you.
Evidence from clinical trials shows, with a wide margin of confidence, that a prolonged intake of 10,000 IU/d of vitamin D(3) poses no risk of adverse effects for adults, even if this is added to a rather high physiologic background level of vitamin D.
We know that no damage occurs nor has ever occurred under 200ng/mL. and that takes months and months of high dose supplementation. Most people use 50,000iu ONCE a week FOR only 8 WEEKS. to correct vitamin D insufficiency.

We also suggest regular 25(OH)D testing. and levels generally between 50~70ng/ml
Quote:
I'd rather look stupid that acquiesce in someone damaging their health.
Indeed that is exactly what you are doing at the moment.
  #175   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 16:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think some caution is called for - remember antioxidants.
Any comment on 25-50,000IUIU/day
  #176   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 18:37

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%
Post Vitamin D in the Brain

Although these studies aren't very new, I just stumbled across them this evening and thought I would share in hopes this is educational and interesting for some of our other regulars.

---

Distribution of the vitamin D receptor and 1 alpha-hydroxylase in human brain.

Quote:
Despite a growing body of evidence that Vitamin D is involved in mammalian brain functioning, there has been a lack of direct evidence about its role in the human brain. This paper reports, for the first time, the distribution of the 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor (VDR), and 1alpha-hydroxylase (1alpha-OHase), the enzyme responsible for the formation of the active vitamin in the human brain. The receptor and the enzyme were found in both neurons and glial cells in a regional and layer-specific pattern. The VDR was restricted to the nucleus whilst 1alpha-OHase was distributed throughout the cytoplasm. The distribution of the VDR in human brain was strikingly similar to that reported in rodents. Many regions contained equivalent amounts of both the VDR and 1alpha-OHase, however the macrocellular cells within the nucleus basalis of Meynert (NBM) and the Purkinje cells in the cerebellum expressed 1alpha-OHase in the absence of VDR. The strongest immunohistochemical staining for both the receptor and enzyme was in the hypothalamus and in the large (presumably dopaminergic) neurons within the substantia nigra. The observed distribution of the VDR is consistent with the proposal that Vitamin D operates in a similar fashion to the known neurosteroids. The widespread distribution of 1alpha-OHase and the VDR suggests that Vitamin D may have autocrine/paracrine properties in the human brain.
The hypothalamus is a portion of the brain that contains a number of small nuclei with a variety of functions. One of the most important functions of the hypothalamus is to link the nervous system to the endocrine system via the pituitary gland (hypophysis). The hypothalamus, (from Greek ὑποθαλαμος = under the thalamus) is located below the thalamus, just above the brain stem. In the terminology of neuroanatomy, it forms the ventral part of the diencephalon. All vertebrate brains contain a hypothalamus. In humans, it is roughly the size of an almond.

The hypothalamus is responsible for certain metabolic processes and other activities of the Autonomic Nervous System. It synthesizes and secretes neurohormones, often called hypothalamic-releasing hormones, and these in turn stimulate or inhibit the secretion of pituitary hormones. The hypothalamus controls body temperature, hunger, thirst, fatigue, and circadian cycles.

JW: Not only does vitamin D appear to be a strong influence on hypothalamus function, but light itself directly influences this portion of the brain via signals generated and communicated from the optic nerve upon exposure. The strongest influence coming from that of blue light between a narrow spectrum that is a part of natural sunlight (I believe somewhere around 420 nm, which has been isolated and put to use in certain blue light therapy devices - like one that I own and use daily).

---

The substantia nigra is a brain structure located in the mesencephalon (midbrain) that plays an important role in reward, addiction, and movement. Substantia nigra is Latin for "black substance", as parts of the substantia nigra appear darker than neighboring areas due to high levels of melanin in dopaminergic neurons. The substantia nigra is part of the basal ganglia; the other parts of the basal ganglia include the striatum (caudate nucleus, putamen, and nucleus accumbens), globus pallidus, and subthalamic nucleus. Parkinson's disease is caused by the death of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta.

JW: The last sentence connects the dots as to why it has been proposed that vitamin D is important in the development and progression of Parkinson's.

Vitamin D receptor gene expression in human pituitary gland.

Quote:
1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 has important physiological effects such as calcium transport and cell growth and differentiation. These biological effects are mediated by their binding to specific intracellular receptor termed vitamin D receptor (VDR). VDR mRNA expression has been demonstrated in several tissues, but to date, there is no information about its presence in the human pituitary gland. In this report, we demonstrate VDR mRNA expression using the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), as well as the cellular expression of VDR by immunohistochemistry, both in the human pituitary gland. These results suggest the possibility that, like in the rat pituitary, VDR may regulate the human pituitary gene expression and hormone secretion.
The pituitary gland, or hypophysis, is an endocrine gland about the size of a pea and weighing 0.5 g (0.02 oz.). It is a protrusion off the bottom of the hypothalamus at the base of the brain, and rests in a small, bony cavity (sella turcica) covered by a dural fold (diaphragma sellae). The pituitary fossa, in which the pituitary gland sits, is situated in the sphenoid bone in the middle cranial fossa at the base of the brain.

The pituitary gland secretes hormones regulating homeostasis, including tropic hormones that stimulate other endocrine glands. It is functionally connected to the hypothalamus by the median eminence.

The pituitary hormones help control some of the following body processes:

* Growth
* Blood pressure
* Some aspects of pregnancy and childbirth including stimulation of uterine contractions during childbirth
* Breast milk production
* Sex organ functions in both women and men
* Thyroid gland function
* The conversion of food into energy (metabolism)
* Water and osmolarity regulation in the body
* Secretes ADH (antidiuretic hormone) to control the absorption of water into the kidneys
* Temperature regulation
  #177   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 08:30

BF:

Quote:
I think some caution is called for - remember antioxidants.
Any comment on 25-50,000IUIU/day

This comes from Merck...
" "Vitamin D 1000 µg (40,000 IU)/day produces toxicity within 1 to 4 months in infants, and as little as 75 µg (3,000 IU)/day can produce toxicity over years. Toxic effects have occurred in adults receiving 2,500 µg (100,000 IU)/day for several months." (10)"
  #178   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 10:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
This comes from Merck...
" "Vitamin D 1000 µg (40,000 IU)/day produces toxicity within 1 to 4 months in infants, and as little as 75 µg (3,000 IU)/day can produce toxicity over years. Toxic effects have occurred in adults receiving 2,500 µg (100,000 IU)/day for several months." (10)"

I remember looking up stuff on vitamin D toxicity and what I found was that it wasn't cholecalciferol (i.e. Vit D3) that had been used, but a different form of Vitamin D, either Vit D2 (ergocalciferol, hope the spelling's right) or calcitrol, which is the active form found in the body (I think).

Does this stuff from Merck actually say which form they used?

amanda
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 12:47
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
This comes from Merck...
I'm not the adult toxicity occurred in.
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 16:45

BF: