Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/150 Female 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default High Fatting 5/08/2008

It has been recommended we begin a new thread for high fatting and here goes. There is information in the other thread for beginning hf-ers. But I hope the old posters will come here.

Come on folks!!

caveat-I am NOT an expert on this but I'm doing it and I have an opinion.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 16:10

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I am here
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 16:23

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Roll call - me too!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 16:24

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

I'm here too. Today was a looooot of cheese. Still - it fills me up for ages. I'm working on every single snack/meal to be high fat - not just overall ratios for the day. Still preferring to snack throughout the day rather than a couple of big meals.

Happy high fatting all.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Cool

count me in.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 16:55

BF:

Looks like we're rolling.
Anne
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 17:53

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Checking in.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 18:28

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm in too. I havent given up and as a matter of fact started over this last Monday.

I am weighing and measuring EVERYTHING. I think that will really help. I was getting a little heavy handed. Also, trying for 70% fat which I seem to be able to do pretty easily.

This is working for so many people, I sure hope I'm one of 'em.

Good luck everybody.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 18:52

BF:

today's calories were 1471

carbs 19 5%
protein 61g 17%
fats 128g 78%

Break was 1 T Coconut oil eaten from a spoon
lunch 4 oz roasted pork roast & fat
dinner-meatloaf, brocolli salad
dessert baked cream with berries & sf whip cream
>1oz Lindt chocolate

plenty of food and satisfaction
Hope the scale goes down tomorrow for us all.
Anne
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 20:28

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My day:

Breakfast: Smoothie with 1/4 cup coconut milk, 3 oz strawberries, 1 T lemon cod liver oil, 4 egg whites, 2 egg yolks & a dash of cinnamon

Lunch: 4 oz chicken thigh, 3 oz avocado

Dinner: 4 oz beef tenderloin, 2 oz hot spinach salad made with red wine vinegar, carmelized onions, bacon/bacon fat & pecans

Today's totals:

Cal 1773
Carb 12.5 g - 5%
Pro - 98.9 g - 22%
Fat - 143.5 g - 73%

This is my highest fat day in several, so we'll see if the downward trend continues - although I fear I may be bumping up against TOM. Have a great evening.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 04:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

HEY, YOU GUYS! WAIT FOR ME!!!!!!

In the spirit of our founder, who shall remain nameless, here is a synopsis of what we're doing in this thead:

Hi!

This challenge is all about fat! Well, losing it by eating it, that is!

Here are some of the basic tenets:

You're eating more fat than the standard Atkins or PP diet, in grams, than normal. Adding extra fat to meals and snacks. This can mean, based on 60-70g of protein a day and 20 g total carbs, between 70 and 80% (or even more) of the total calories per day as fat. Of course, those on higher protein and/or higher carb grams will see different percentages.

Some sources of extra fats are: butter, lard, bacon grease and other animal fats, olive oil, coconut and other vegetable oils, mayo, cream cheese, hard cheese (count the protein toward your total), nuts (count the carbs toward your total), avocados--use your imagination. Just remember that any fat that contains animal protein needs to be counted toward your total, and any carbs need to be counted toward your daily total.

The protein levels are up to you. In general, if you don't exercise or exercise lightly to moderately, you're eating less protein than the standard Atkins or PP diet. This is because you should only eat enough protein for maintenance and repair of body tissues. You don't want any protein hanging around for use as fuel. Fat is the primary fuel. (Those who are into heavy exercise/weight training may need to eat more protein for repair/maintenance.)

Count only animal protein toward your daily total. Another way is is to add a 10g "buffer" to your protein need, and that 10g will cover the extra plant proteins, which are not complete proteins and don't count toward your daily total. (If you're vegetarian/vegan you will need to take extra care to ensure your proteins are complete, as incomplete proteins won't be used to rebuild the body properly.

Don't eat less than 60g of protein a day, most days. Everyone, even the very sedentary, needs a minimum of 60g protein most every day.

The carb levels are up to you. Some people find they do fine on higher carbs, some on very low carb. The majority of people do high fatting on a carb level between 10 and 30 grams a day. You can use total carbs or net carbs, it's up to you.

Expect higher calories eating this way. It's Ok, and is part of the plan and the solution for weight loss. Who likes a low-cal diet anyway??? Not me.

This website, The Optimal Diet, offers a good explanation of how and why the high-fat diet works and gives one method for calculating your protein need per day in the higher fat situation. Also information can be found in this Wikipedia article.

There are many other protein calculators online, such as the ones here, and here, and protein power and the protein power lifeplan also offer estimations of protein need, however keep in mind that these calculators are probably not taking into account the higher fat situation, and are assuming that some protein will be converted to fuel.

Use your best judgment when figuring your protein need--and never go too low. You can always adjust it up or down as needed.

That's it. Pretty simple.

Many find that HFing will get the scale moving when nothing else will.

Welcome and stop in to lurk or post anytime!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 04:52

BF:

Here are my numbers from yesterday:

Calories: 1893
Fat: 170 grams (80%)
Carbs: 13 grams, 2 of them fiber (3%)
Protein: 71 grams (15%)

Carbs came from faux mashed potatoes (cauliflower), plus a few from the cream.

I actually indulged in 2 glasses of red wine last night that I didn't include in the counts. I got dumped (er, I mean, honored) with three huge projects at work yesterday, ones that will go corporate and affect everyone ... and I'm leading all three! Whenever faced with new challenges like this, I obsess. Then I obsess some more. Two glasses of wine later, I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and make it happen.

And I can happily go back to no alcohol. Carbs will be virtually non-existent today (except those in cream) to make up for the wine.

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Keep up the good work!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 06:23

BF:

Hi again! I just went to a bunch of online protein calculators and for my height and weight, I got a result as low as 68 grams per day to a high of 142 grams per day. I've been averaging around 70 grams per day, so I'm going to call it good unless I start working out more.

On the other hand, I've been told by some that "women of a certain age" lose best at around 100 grams of protein.

Hmmmm. Next Tuesday will be 2 weeks for me at approximately 80% fat and 15% protein (around 70 grams of protein). The first week I lost 5. I doubt that I'll lose 5 again, but we'll see how it looks. I might want to readjust to bring the protein up slightly and bring the fat down. Maybe 75% and 20%, or even 70% and 25%.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 06:47

BF:

Thanks Bawdy, for the synopsis of this thread. You did a great job.

My weight today is 154 so I lost the .4 from yesterday but of course we all fluctuate all over the place but still I'm glad the move down is occurring.
Happy Mega fat Day, Anne
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 07:33

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hello folks,

I've been upping my fat for a week or so but since this is pretty new for me would like to join you guys so I can see what you're eating and what your percentages are - sure want to see my scale get on the move again. Haven't lost any since my initial weight loss of 9 lbs. then 3 more in 2 months, which is great - but want the WL to continue.

I don't eat a lot and so my calories are sometimes low and I've been wondering if this is okay. Honestly I eat when I'm hungry and eat until I'm full. If I ate anymore, I'd be stuffing myself. Here are my numbers for this week so far:

5/5 Calories - 1289 Fat - 73% Carbs - 3% Protein - 24%
5/6 Calories - 1224 Fat - 66% Carbs - 3% Protein - 31%
5/7 Calories - 1092 Fat - 77% Carbs - 6% Protein - 17%
5/8 - Calories - 1151 Fat - 76% Carbs - 5% Protein - 19%

Feel free to offer any suggestions, I need the help.

Last edited by pamlynn : Fri, May-09-08 at 07:46.