Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#766   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 01:15

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Sorry to be so late, we just had a powerful category 5 tropical cyclone (hurricane/typhoon) come ashore directly west of our place, and it was still cat 3 as it passed us by. Nearly 10" of rain so far and we had very strong wind. We have serious problems with downed trees, and some storm-induced problems with our electrical supply and other bits and pieces of work we must do to get it all back up and running. I will try to get back to you all more quickly tomorrow, and I may even get a window of opportunity later on today, but it is remote.

You will not show ketones in your urine if there are carbs in your diet, the ketones are reprocessed- into bodyfat.

I would really appreciate it if people who repeatedly ask questions or make statements relating to things I have said would please read all my posts- I have already covered this subject in detail.

Once more: Your body ONLY burns FAT for muscular work, and it burns fat all the time, 24/7. Ketones do not appear in the urine until all carbs are stopped and then the ketones will disappear again in a few weeks as your body begins using them as glucose-replacement rather than converting them, as it does all carbohydrates, into bodyfat (from which they came). BOTH a keto-adapted and carb-eating person will show no ketones in the urine. SOME people have a problem with fat metabolism while insulin is present, and glucose being converted into bodyfat, but not everyone, which is why some (a few) people do not become fat or obese no matter what they eat. Those who have a problem find any effort very hard and may fall asleep until the fat storing process is over. Ketones are a valuable nutrient, and like glucose, only appear in the urine briefly during a dietary change. If they persist, then it indicates a disease-condition.

OK? Am I making my self clear?

Dean.. You can eat the same cut of meat indefinitely, no problem. Variety is for your mind, not your body. meat i a complete food, but be aware that red meat logically has to be the best, since it is from a mammal and thus very, very close in composition to your own body's tissues. I would guess that the way a cat becomes fixated on one food is indication that this is ok, and the cat thus avoids wasting energy pursuing other prey when one is abundant. Cats don' t eat all the prey animal, that is a myth, as anyone whose cat has access to hunt wildlife will confirm. Write me via the address on my website, and I will give you my son Starfinder's e/mail and website, he is a vet and is into our diet. He even has designed proper food for dogs and cats, which he tells about on his website.

I eat plenty of cheese, why avoid it, especially with 'visions'? (Only cheese).

Hunger indicates insufficient fat. Anything called a 'fast' is probably not enough food. Eat all kinds of meat, butter cheese, etc. Make sure you eat fat -slowly- until you can't eat any more, then finish with lean....at each meal. Fat satisfies, and it is filling. Lack of enough fat in a low to zero carb diet is not good. There is no such thing as 'low carb bread' or low carb spaghetti, that is like low carb sugar or low carb cornstarch? What is a name? Bread is made from starch. Spaghetti is a form of pasta made from starch. I guess that with some inorganic filler you might replace 20% of the carbs, and in comparison with 100% could by a huge stretch be called 'low'. Read the label and let me know how many gms carb in 100.

It is unlikely for most people to lose 2-1/2 pounds of just bodyfat in three days- it represents about 10,000 calories- base metabolism is usually around ~1800, so in three days without doing anything, you burn ~5400. If you run every day, you will burn 600 cal/mile, so in order to lose that fat, you have to run 2-1/2 miles each day. I think you had been taking in salt and carbs and the loss was mostly water.

BetyLouWho Sorry, are you another person who has jumped into the thread which has over 760 posts, without first reading it?

Humans are not omnivores and you 'like' fruit because your mother gave it to you as a baby, plus it is sweet like human milk, the first thing you tasted at birth- what we eat is cultural.

Please- do a search and at least read all my posts before stepping in the bucket again. Oh, and have you ever asked yourself why your progress after all those months 'on LC' is..... zero? The answer is in this thread.

Apes are not humans by a long period of divergent evolution. SOME great apes like to eat monkey meat better than fruit, and if it did not take so much effort and skill to kill the clever little buggers, they might eat ONLY monkey.
Sponsored Links
  #767   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 02:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
You will not show ketones in your urine if there are carbs in your diet, the ketones are reprocessed- into bodyfat.

This is incorrect.

I think you are perhaps confusing carbs from sugars and starches with carbs from vegetables. Many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of members here can attest to the fact that ketones most definitely do appear in the urine while eating at least 3 cups of vegies as per Dr Atkins' Induction stage.

I'm glad to hear you were not injured by Cyclone Larry.

Rosebud
  #768   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 02:50

BF:
Progress:

Yes, thank you no-one here was hurt.

If there are ketones spilling in the urine on a steady-composition (unchanging) diet, then there is some sort of problem with the person's metabolism. A very slight purple color on the test stick is not significant.
  #769   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 05:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
ketones are reprocessed- into bodyfat.

This is also incorrect. Once fat is broken down into ketone bodies, it cannot be re-converted back to fat again. It must be either burned or wasted/excreted.
  #770   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 06:27
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
If there are ketones spilling in the urine on a steady-composition (unchanging) diet, then there is some sort of problem with the person's metabolism. A very slight purple color on the test stick is not significant.

Any change in colour on the test stick indicates ketosis is present, and is therefore significant.

And ketosis showing on a "steady composition" diet - as it does for most Atkins dieters - absolutely does not mean there is a problem with the person's metabolism. It simply means they are burning fat instead of sugar.

Rosebud
  #771   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:54

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

I don't like fruit.
  #772   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 14:58

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Am I making my self clear?

Oh, it's clear alright.

Last edited by TwilightZ : Mon, Mar-20-06 at 15:38.
  #773   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 17:49

BF:
Progress:

No matter how you think ketones ( a type of carbohydrate) are dealt with, you do not BURN sugar. You ALWAYS burn fat. You can only STORE sugar as fat. If you consume NO carbs you will spill NO ketones in the urine- that is, once you have adapted to the lack of carbs. I have played with keto-sticks for a very long time, please, give me a break. So far as your own profiles indicate, not one of you have been eating a close facsimile of the zero carb style for even a couple of years steady and I doubt anyone in this thread has EVER gone low enough and long enough to become keto-adapted. You can read 'scientific' papers until the cows come home, but most if not all on metabolism are badly flawed and practice shows that to be so.

I started this thread not to argue with people over their tenaciously held mythic beliefs about food, which they use to deny the true nature of human nutrition so they can just manage to go along with a partial reform. I did it to provide access to my experience, which shows very clearly what happens to a person if they can persevere and follow this path for a very long time. What you like is cultural, and has no basis in fact or science. It is what you were taught to eat and in my long term experience people will hang like grim death rather than completely drop the carb based foods which are literally killing many of them. SO let's not waste valuable time denigrating the things I say, they work and are excellent 'black box' solutions, whether the details of what goes on inside the 'black box' are correctly known or described is of no consequence in the real world.
  #774   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 18:17
Forum Moderator

BF:

Mr Bear, I am not arguing with you just to denigrate you or the things you say. I am simply correcting some of your incorrect statements.

Rosebud
  #775   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:15

Plan: Evolutionary
Stats: 180/190/170 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Bear,

I have read this entire thread and am very intrigued by your way of eating, and I have a couple questions for you that have not in fact been covered on this forum.

1. Acid/Base Balance - I'm surprised that this topic has not been addressed. There is a supposed (I say "supposed" as there is some contention regarding this) acid/base balance that your body must maintain, preferring a base pH. Different foods yield different pH readings, either putting an acid or a base effect on your kidneys, and supposedly ill effects, such as calcium depletion can result if there is too much of an acid load on your body. Meats, eggs, and cheese are high acid-yielding, while vegetable and fruits are high base-yielding. Here is a link supporting this:
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutriti...ools/acid.shtml
(Note: I'm not necessarily promoting "The Paleo Diet"; it was just a handy resource for this information.)
Have you heard of this before, and what do you think about it?

2. I'm a college student in Pittsburgh, living on a tight budget and forced to eat campus food most of the time. I have been eating as close to a Paleolithic-style of eating as possible, but most of the time I have to eat cheeseburgers (no bun of course) and deli meats. Once in a while, I can get some roast beef or chicken thighs from the cafeteria, but not usually. It sounds to me like in order to follow your eating plan, you really need to have access to lightly cooked red meat, which I really don't have access to. What would you recommend in my case? How could I get those lost nutrients, if not from vegetables?

Thanks for the information.
  #776   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:15

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

If you look younger than others your age and have countered the effects of aging, why is your hair all grey?
  #777   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:23
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I started this thread not to argue with people over their tenaciously held mythic beliefs about food, which they use to deny the true nature of human nutrition so they can just manage to go along with a partial reform.

Sorry, but I'm willing to use my carefully conserved month's worth of smilies just to repond to that ridiculous comment!
  #778   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Maybe the same reason mine has been since age 25?? Genetics..

Thank GOD for hair color, lol.
  #779   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:58

BF:
Progress:

My dear rosebud:

I am absolutely sure that you genuinely believe you are 'correcting' my 'incorrect statements'.

However: Did it ever occur to you that it might be YOU who are incorrect? Relying on published studies and data which are, in my opinion- mostly rubbish? If an explanation of a real physical condition does not fit close, long-term observations, it is not acceptable to me.

Please, just leave it be. I don't need or want to have you as my 'truth cop'- you lack sufficient direct experience to make your assertions valid in my universe view.

Your being a medical professional, a nurse- is even more reason for me to find your opinionating... suspect.

In short- your responses in contradiction of my expressed knowledge fail to convince me because in general, you quote established medical dogma rather than speaking either from your own experience, or about scientific research which YOU YOURSELF have performed.

Medicine is an art... not a science. It is filled with dogma and ritual. It resists mightily any change or contradiction.
  #780   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:16
Forum Moderator

BF:

Riiiight. So all the many, many members here who have shown a positive result on their ketostix while eating (shock, horror!) vegetables, are imagining things. Okay.

Bowing out now.

Rosebud
Closed Thread