Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 02:08

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Teflon chemical a likely carcinogen

Quote:
DOVER, Del. - A group of scientific advisers to the Environmental Protection Agency voted unanimously Wednesday to approve a recommendation that a chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon and other nonstick and stain-resistant products should be considered a likely carcinogen.

The approval of the EPA's Science Advisory Board is conditioned on minor clarifications being made to a draft report submitted by a review panel, but no major changes will be made to the panel's findings.

The revisions called for by the board include making a cover letter to EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson more reader-friendly and clarifying the scope of dissent among members of the SAB panel that reviewed the EPA's draft risk assessment of perfluorooctanoic acid, also known as C-8.

Board members also agreed that the report should clarify why some unpublished scientific studies were considered by the panel while others weren't, and that the panel's findings should not be considered the last word on PFOA but should be updated as additional data become available.

PFOA is a processing aid used in the manufacturing of fluoropolymers, which have a wide variety of product applications, including nonstick cookware.

The chemical also can be a byproduct in the manufacturing of fluorotelomers used in surface protection products for applications such as stain-resistant textiles and grease-resistant food wrapping.

Wilmington, Del.-based DuPont Co., owner of the Teflon brand, is the sole producer of PFOA in North America.

Some members of the review panel disagreed with the majority view that PFOA should be classified as a "likely carcinogen," a finding that went beyond the EPA's own determination that there was only "suggestive evidence" from animal studies that PFOA and its salts are potential human carcinogens.

"Are we talking two-fifths of the panel, or are we talking about a small number?" asked SAB Chairman M. Granger Morgan, head of the department of engineering and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University.

Deborah Cory-Slechta, chair of the PFOA risk assessment review panel, said dissent from the majority views of the 16-member panel on issues it was asked to study typically was limited to three or four members.

Cory-Slechta also noted that an unpublished study from the 1980s linking PFOA to mammary tumors in laboratory rats was considered by the panel because it was peer-reviewed within the EPA and included in the original risk assessment submitted by the agency for review.

The same could not be said for a 2005 review sponsored by the DuPont and 3M Co. challenging the earlier study's conclusion.

"We do not feel that it rose to the same level of scrutiny as the other information we were considering," she said.

But 3M scientist John Butenhoff accused the panel of making "selective use" of information to make an unwarranted recommendation about PFOA's potential carcinogenicity.

Robert Rickard, director of health and environmental sciences at DuPont's Haskell Laboratory, said the company had asked the review panel after its February 2005 meeting if it would be appropriate to submit new data, and was told it could.

The only board member to offer significant criticism of the PFOA review panel was James Bus, a lead toxicologist for Dow Chemical Co.

Bus, who did not submit his written comments until shortly before Wednesday's meeting, said the review panel should have considered the DuPont-3M paper, and should have offered a stronger rationale for upgrading the recommended cancer descriptor from "suggestive evidence" to "likely carcinogen."

Johnson, the EPA administrator, is free to accept the board's recommendations regarding PFOA, or to reject them.

The EPA will use the report "as well as all new information that becomes available, to formulate the next steps in our continuing assessment of these chemicals," said Oscar Hernandez, director of the risk assessment division in the EPA's Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11376032/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Its going to be a real bummer going back to sticking pans.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 12:41

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

well i'm not doing it unless people start dropping dead left and right from using teflon. i'm getting brand new circulon this month and i'm thrilled to death.

we did read though that to prolong life and prevent peeling, that those types of pans should not go into the dishwasher. my aunt bought me a non stick chef's review i think, pan, from smart and final and it is a dream to wash by hand, takes about 45 seconds, so i don't think it'll be a problem to keep them out of the dishwasher, that is, until they start getting old. i guess long and short, i really don't worry about carcinogens too much because it relates to too many things. i got bigger fish to fry
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 12:50
Experimenter

BF:

I think the teflon pans you get nowadays have the teflon impregnated into the surface.

One thing you're not supposed to do is heat a non-stick pan beyond a certain temperature because it will outgas. If you own any birds they're likely to die and humans will get pretty sick with flu like symptoms. I know the birds die at a lower temperature than the humans get sick.

I do need to get a non-no-stick pan (that sounds funny) for cooking things that need to stick so you have something to deglaze.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 13:05

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

Cast Iron. Heats nicely, deglazes well, sears meat well, can go right from the stove top to the oven, and if you take care to season it well (Lodge brand comes pre-seasoned nowadays) and keep it lightly coated with oil it will be all but non-stick.

If something sticks to the pan I just soak it in water (no soap) and then use a stiff brush to get it off, again, no soap. Dry it right away and lightly coat it with oil and you're good to go! I think bacon just tastes better out of a cast iron pan.

I have a nice Circulon non-stick skillet that I rarely use these days and two Calphalon pieces that are non-stick including an omlette pan that I love. Calphalon doesn't identify their non-stick surface as using teflon, but I'm assuming it does.

The Calphalon hard-anodized cookware (not-non-stick) I have is also very nice and has never been particulary problematic with food sticking to it.

Now, if you want to talk nice not-non-stick, lets talk All-Clad stainless, and Le Creuset.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 13:20

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

circulon is about as good as i can get cost wise. there is a coupon for the set at costco this month. can't wait to get my hands on it we have cast iron pans, but i'm not paticularly good with them so my husband mostly uses them on our camping trips.he is the designated cast iron cooker because i wreck everything in cast iron. he says i mess with the food too much

the pan from smart and final is so no stick that i couldn't even swirl the eggs to spread them out, the whole of the eggs just whirled around in the pan. that's the best non stick i've had my hands on yet

we used to try and keep parakeets, but they always died. then we read that about the pans, we thought maybe that was why. we always lived in apartments then so proximity to the kitchen would have been a problem. kept a parakeet at work, took it home for the weekend, poor little thing had a seizure and died. we didn't get birds anymore after that.

is Creuset the enamel pans?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 14:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The teflon is not the carcinogenic agent. The bad stuff is perfluorooctanoic acid, which is used to make the teflon. So cooking with a teflon pan will not raise the cancer risk, but working in the factory that makes the teflon may.

The manufactures will have to install more safety equipment to keep the perfluorooctanoic acid away from their employees.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 15:30
Experimenter

BF:

And then all that crap gets into the water supply too. I thought I read that virtually everyone has it in their blood now.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 19:15

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

All my cooking is in cast iron. Funny, I am so used to them that I feel so awkward cooking in anything else over at friends houses. I went to visit my aunt in california last summer and did quite a bit of cooking at her house (she does not cook). I swore to myself that I would bring a couple of my cast's with me next time. I currently own 5 skillet pans, circular griddle, large 2 sided reversible griddle/grill, and a deep dutch oven/pan thingy. (I do have 3 stainless/non-coated pots for bioling things)

I can cook omlets/eggs without them sticking. Just use a paper towel to wipe them out when done. Other things can be more messy, but not a huge issue. A minute or two with hot water and a plastic scrubber (no soap) and they are clean. Dry em off throw them back on the burner for 30 seconds and lightly coat with a pastery bush with that lovely left over grease from sausage, bacon or whatever. There is a bit of a learning curve involved.....I swear, after you break them in, there is nothing better .

I just LOVE my pans
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 19:16
Experimenter

BF:

I always end up rusting them.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 19:26

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I would be soo upset if mine were to rust.....

RIP Nancy's pans

Last edited by Bandito : Thu, Feb-16-06 at 19:31.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 09:46

BF:

Secret to some good cookware at decent prices that I discovered recently (actually I can't take credit, I was pointed to it by a friend) is Amazon.com's overstock/clearance/discount are on their site. I picked up a 12 quart Calphalon hard anodized stockpot (BIG) for about $60 if I remeber correctly, and it's normally $140+. They still have a bunch of Calphalon stuff from a line that was recently discontinued on clearance, check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...6624867-8815035

Also, for a solid alternative to Henckel and Wuthsof kives, I picked up a Calphalon Contemporary 15 piece set on eBay for about $100, and it's great. It might not last 30 years, I might have to replace it in 10-15, but the whole set cost me less than a single Wuthsof Trident Chef's Knife, so I can't complain.

Edited to add: Amazon also has quite a few pices of Lodge Cast Iron cookware on clearance as well.

Last edited by Ogden : Fri, Feb-17-06 at 10:10.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 09:47

BF:

Now I just need Le Cruset to discontinue some of their stuff.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:21

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Interesting reading all this today, we just got rid our circulon pans this week and switched to good stainless steel pans. My wife is paranoid about all this stuff, and I just think there is no point taking chances with little kids in the house.

Chefs don't cook with stickless pans.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:24
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Chefs don't cook with stickless pans.

They also don't have to do the dishes!