Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 09:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default British food tech startup becomes first ever “reduced carb” certified company

11 July 2018

Quote:
Food tech startup becomes first ever “reduced carb” certified company with Sugarwise

A Rochdale food tech startup Lo-Dough has become the first ever company to be awarded an official “reduced carb” certification by Sugarwise.

The new company, which invented a unique low carb bread alternative, was handed the official certification after tests showed that their product was outstandingly low in carbohydrates compared to any possible competitors. The announcement by Sugarwise means that Lo-Dough is not only recognised officially as a “reduced carb” innovation, but is paving the way for a breakthrough in the dietary, fitness and slimming markets.

Sugarwise is the international certification authority for sugar claims on food and drink, with more than 300 products certified across Europe, Australia, China and the Middle East. Founder and director Rend Platings, who issued Lo-Dough with the certificate this week, claims that Lo-Dough deserved “as much recognition as possible” for it’s unique and healthy food product.

She added: “Lo-Dough is an outstanding startup company which has produced a low carb food product like no other. At around three times less carbs than their closest competitors, it is possible to marry Lo-Dough with optimal nutrition, as well as staying extremely low in carbs and sugars. Lo-Dough not only meets the criteria set by Sugarwise, but they do so by a large margin.

“We are very happy to announce that Lo-Dough is the first ever company to receive the reduced carb certification, and we are sure they will continue to be successful with this unique low-carb alternative. ”

When Lo-Dough first started in 2017, it was little more than a tabletop experiment by inventor Ben Holden.

Realising the potential in the initial batch, Holden quickly teamed up with business partner Rob Wales to develop Lo-Dough further. The company now employs over 30 staff, has 55,000+ customers and has seen huge success with its hundreds of healthy recipes, including low carb pizzas, pies, desserts and pastries. The weight loss, fitness, and free-from markets have all been able to use Lo-Dough for their individual goals, as it gives them the leeway to still eat indulgent bread and pastry dishes – without the carbs.

Co-founder Ben Holden said: “The journey with Lo-Dough has been incredible, and we are so excited to receive this certification from Sugarwise.
“When I first developed the Lo-Dough prototype, I had no idea of the epic journey that would follow. We are making history here with low carb recipes which are changing the way healthy eating is done full stop.

“This certification shows that we are getting recognised and that our message is getting out there. I’m so excited for what’s to come.”
Co-Founder Rob Wales added: “What a journey. From Ben’s kitchen table to a bakery in my converted garage it’s been an amazing few years. I’m thrilled with the recognition from Sugarwise and would really like to thank them for acknowledging Lo-Dough and seeing it for what it is, a unique and innovative food invention.

We’re a new company with a fantastic team of people and a lot of ambition. So this certification comes at a great time, helping us to officially demonstrate just how incredibly low carb Lo-Dough is compared to other products out there.”
http://aboutmanchester.co.uk/food-t...with-sugarwise/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 11:52

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Interesting.

When you read the nutritional info on the website, do note that the 2.2 g of carbs per 28g serving is what we would refer to as "net carbs." The fiber carbs (9.3 g per serving) are NOT included in that carbohydrate count. So, if you need to watch TOTAL carbs in order to lose or maintain weight, each serving would be 11.5 g total carbs.

Note too that, while the breads are labeled as gluten-free, "wheat fiber" is the SECOND ingredient (after water) on the ingredients list. I don't know about the U.K. but in the U.S., ingredients have to be listed in order of predominance (i.e., the ingredient that is used most has to be listed first, second most is listed second and so on. So that means a large proportion of these breads ARE wheat flour.

Since wheat fiber is naturally bound up with gluten protein, it is highly unlikely to be possible to ever remove 100% of the gluten from the fiber. There will always be some "gluten contamination" remaining. In the U.S., under FDA regulations, food products derived from a gluten containing grain can be labeled as gluten-free if they contain less than 20 parts per million of gluten. I know some celiacs who say that even that small amount can cause them distress.

I looked up Stabiliser (E464) listed in the ingredients and it turned out to be a polymer called "hydroxypropyl methylcellulose" AKA "Hypromellose." It is derived from plant cellulose and looks to be a generally-recognized-as-safe ingredient that is used in all sorts of processed-products including whole wheat breads and medicine capsules. It's primary purpose is to increase shelf-life however, it also provides some of the "stretchiness" and ability to trap air bubbles that gluten generally gives to bread.

If these "breads" weren't so expensive and were easily available in the U.S., I might try a package. I suspect tho that even if they become available here, I'll stick with my home-made almond meal and flax meal breads. I KNOW the natural ingredients I use in them and exactly what "processing" those ingredients have undergone.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 12:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

As Bev states, the ingredients contain wheat fiber. Here's the list:

https://lodough.co/pages/ingredient...nal-information
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 12:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Just about everything you can make low carb bread from, I like the ingredients better than I'd like the bread. At least no avocados or cream cheese had to die to make this stuff.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:05

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

If this were available in the States, I'd try it once, even though it's pretty pricy.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Devil's advocate-- how is this a healthy food ?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 11:46

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Devil's advocate-- how is this a healthy food ?

Well, if one defines "healthy" as "natural" or "unprocessed," it certainly wouldn't fit under that heading. However, I'm hesitant to use the term "healthy" or "unhealthy" to describe ANY food or any way of eating anymore. There just seems to be NO common understanding of what a healthy food is anymore.

There are those who think in terms "healthy whole grains" and others who consider grains of any sort be be unhealthy.

There are those who insist that the only healthy diet is a vegan one, others who insist equally strongly that humans evolved primarily as hunters and therefore that the only healthy diet is on that is primarily animal sourced.

Some people consider milk a healthy food for humans because babies thrive on breast milk. Others say that it is unhealthy for anyone past early toddler-hood to continue ingesting any lactose containing products.

Some insist humans are genetically programmed to like and seek out sweet flavors because foods that are sweet contain the nutrients we need....therefore fruit is, ipso facto, healthy. Others find that fruit, except in very very limited quantities sends their blood glucose thru the roof making them sick. For them, fruit is not a health food!

Since this is generally a "low carb" forum, most of us here agree that lower-carb is "healthier" than higher carb. With that understanding, these low-carb breads would be a "healthier alternative" than high-carb white bread or even standard whole grain breads.

Those who want to eat low-carb but who truly miss their breads might find it easier to stick with their low-carb WOE if they have a product available that is low carb enough to fit within their carb-limits as well sufficiently bread-like to appease their desire for bread. To that extent, this is a good thing.

Whether it is a good or bad thing that manufacturers are starting to realize that there might be a market out there for "low-carb" products is a whole nother question. Do we really need or want a bunch of shelf-stable, highly-processed low-carb foods? Would manufacturers find way to increase the "flavor" hit of such foods to induce us to buy and eat more of their products? Will we start seeing thousands of low-carb snack foods on the shelves? Would the wide availability of such foods lead to over-eating on low carb in the same way that the wide-availability of shelf-stable, high-flavor. low-fat processed foods led to overeating on low-fat diets? Who knows? But it is something to think about.