Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-01, 10:07

Plan:
Stats: 145/143/125
BF:
Progress:
Angry

I have been on Atkins for three weeks and have lost very little weight. I'm 5 feet tall and 143, I started at 146 or so. Should I stay on induction or move on? I am not seeing the incredible loss that so many of you are talking about. There have been no cheats whatsoever including caffine and booze and my keto sticks are always dark pink. Can someone please help me figure out what to do. I'm afrad this is not the diet for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-01, 11:56

Plan:
Stats: 107/107/94
BF:
Progress:
Default Don't give up!

Hi there....I sense your frustration, but would like to congratulate you on doing 3 weeks - chnaces are you may just START losing very soon: see your body may have a lot of toxins to hold onto, and WATER is the key element!!

Our body is a chemical factory, and you NEED to use WATER as a CATALYST to activate fat loss.
Look at all the other positive things you have discovered so far: no bloating- no feeling full after a meal - lots more energy - no brain fogg, INCH loss is just as much a SUCCESS indicator...

Tricks: drink your water hot- with lemon, or just lots of decaff. TEA - give yourself 48 hours to start the water to do its trick. Stay away from dairy for a while, esp. very salty CHEESE, and make sure you eat 5-6 mini meals !

Go for it Girl!!

Love
Energy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-01, 17:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Hello Mpres2,

Welcome to the group!

It seems that weight loss depends on how much weight you are carrying. The more weight you have, the quicker your loss will be initially. Weight loss will usually slow down the nearer you are to your goal. Men also seem to lose faster than women. That said, there can be extremely slow losers on this WOE. The incredible loss that some of us have experienced is because we were/are carrying an incredible amount of weight! LOL!

Do you feel better than you did before this WOE? More energy, more zest for life? Feeling great can be your inspiration for sticking with this WOE. You have de-carbed yourself and--with all the temptation out there--have performed a fantastic feat. Congratulate yourself!

Are you eating Atkins bars or drinking protein shakes? Drinking diet drinks? Eating lots of dairy? Some people can use these with no problem, others can’t. Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating enough? While there is a basic premise to this WOE, it’s not a “one size fits all” kind of thing. Sometimes adjustments—yes it can be a big pain!—through trial and error have to be made by you to find out what suits you best.

You also may inadvertently be eating “hidden carbs”. Sugar substitutes, dairy products—which can also slow weight loss—prepared and deli meats, sugar-free drinks and manufactured foods that state zero carbs per serving are all culprits. Check out this site for more info on hidden carbs:

http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/hiddencarbs.htm

Keep us posted on your journey,

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-01, 17:52

Plan:
Stats: 145/143/125
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for your helpfull suggestions. I will go back through my food choices and see what I might cut out. I have been drinking a few diet sodas and I often have an atkins bar for breakfast...I tend to be too lazy to get up early and make eggs. They taste pretty vile so I won't miss them much!

I have about 20 pounds to loose so I will keep trying to be patient. Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-01, 01:09

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I am a very slow loser. I have been doing Protien Power since July and only lost 5 lbs so far. I have however lost some inches. But if I was to be honest with myself, I have not done much in the way of exercise during this time. I have about 40 lbs to lose and lets face it, you can not do it with eating (or not eating) alone.

Time to get moving and get a little more serious with myself. I am a slow loser but I can do better than I have been with just a little tweeking.

Barb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-01, 07:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm slow too

Hang in there..I'm slow loser too. I'm only 5'1" and started out wanting to lose about 20 pounds. Well I'm down a solid 10 in six months, so I feel okay about that. I'd rather lose a little at a time. It's amazing the number of people who mention how much weight I've lost when it isn't a large poundage. For me, the inches are more obvious. I notice things like my rings and watch being bigger. I was out with 8 others for New Year's dinner and find it so much easier than I used to saying...no potatoes, no buns thanks. It was actually kind of funny on New Year's as I decided I was having a burger and salad and I kept trying to explain to the waitress, no bun. She kept saying you don't get a dinner roll with a burger!!! Finally she figured it out!! My friends see I'm healthy and looking good, so they don't question anymore. My complexion is better than it's been in a long time.

I always make muffins or muffin size (eggs)quiche and put them in the freezer, then when I'm leaving for work I just grab a container. I have several Rubbermaid type that only hold two muffins. I put a recipe in the recipe area for Apple Sauce and Pumpkin Muffins which are my favourite. Sometimes I just make them in a pan and cut them into squares.

I just read the posts about getting colds...touch wood...but I was just thinking the same thing on the weekend. I haven't had the cold since I started this WOL. Perhaps it's all the cold weather we're having here (-18 this morning...that's cold for our area in Ontario).

I'm anxious to start making some new recipes now that the Christmas planning and cooking is behind us.

#7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-01, 08:42

Plan:
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress:

I am having the same problem, only my ketone level ranges from moderate ketosis to just a trace. I know they say if you are in ketosis, you are by definition losing weight, so maybe it is just fluid retention. Are you having headaches? This is my big problem right now.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-01, 09:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mpres,

Generally, the less weight you have to lose, the slower it goes.

Being in ketosis means that you are burning fat for fuel. It can either be your own fat or dietary fat. For some people(me included), this requires some fine tuning in what we eat. Many long term low-carbers find they have to keep adjusting what they eat.

If a lot of high-fat products are consumed,i.e. whipping cream, you will be in ketosis because you're burning dietary fat, but you will not lose any weight.

Do you keep a diary? This is very helpful in pin pointing any problem areas. Why don't you post what you've been eating for a few days so we can help you figure this out?

Karen

#9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-01, 12:58

Plan:
Stats: 149/145/125
BF:
Progress:
Default same boat

I have been on atkin since Jan 17 not cheated all of the above only lost 4 lbs start weight 149 now 145 am only 5ft 3in in height. I suggest you dont get discouraged we all are not the same and some lose faster than others. Yes I would love to be some who say I lost 20 lbs in a month but everybody is different also I dont know what your goal weight is the least amount of weight your are wanting to lose 10 20 ? the slower usually the process but look at this you may not have lost as much as you wish as fast as you want but you did lose hang in this is got to be consider a lifetime way of eating not just a diet so remember if you make this your lifetime commitment eventually you will lose all you want