Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 23:53

Plan: The Drinking Man's Diet
Stats: 294/264.2/120 Female 63 inches
BF:48%
Progress: 17%

Thank you for bumping this!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, May-14-11, 13:17

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I started low carbing after my physician gave me a copy of the Taubes article. I have been amazed ever since at how many of my health concerns disappeared with a change in diet.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, May-14-11, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

This was the article that took 90 pounds off me in 2003 and has kept it off since. Thanks, GT. A monumental piece of writing that has improved - and saved - many lives.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-17, 10:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bumping: because a lot of folks might have missed the bombshell that started the whole "war."
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-17, 11:39

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is hard to believe it has been 15 years since it came out. I started LCing in 1999, and this article helped me keep going. Unfortunately, those outside the choir still aren't listening.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 11:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bumping up this 2002 thread because yesterday and today there has been much "tweeting" about title article.

Gary Taubes: "While I wait for Russia-Croatia to resolve, David Ludwig reminds me that today is the 16th anniversary of ... https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/...nted=all&src=pm "

I still have a yellowed print copy saved in my historical diets file but now realize it was from the Raleigh News and Observer, July 14, 2002. Good that the article had wider distribution. If I had only stuck with it then, but it took Gary Taubes knocking me upside the head with Good Calories, Bad Calories in 2010 for low carb to stick permanently!
The original, the classic, worth a re-read

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-08-18 at 14:47.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 14:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hell yeah!

I disagree with you that this issue is going to die, though. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but... People are starting to accept that low fat simply doesn't work. High-carb dieters diet themselves fatter. Low-fat/high-carb was a theory, now it is failing to establish itself as fact. As it said in that article, the American people have been part of a "vast nutritional experiment."

LCers are making more noise. Researchers are learning more about insulin. I think the paradigm has to shift.

You called it!!!

The tide is turning.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 15:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

LOL! When I saw this thread bumped by Janet, I thought, "gee, I bet I can guess what I said back in 2002."

What a time to be alive. I guess.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 15:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I know tha wthout this forum, I am lost. NO one, NO ONE, outside this forum can speak low carb.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thank you to all the moderators and original members of the forum who have hung in here for 16 years, and along with Gary, have been patiently waiting for the "paradigm to shift" ...and world peace.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 07:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I know tha wthout this forum, I am lost. NO one, NO ONE, outside this forum can speak low carb.

Very true that in the real world no one I talk with understands LC at all. The reaction to the way I eat the toppings off pizza and leave the crusts behind, or eat lots of eggs, cook with copious amounts of real butter, and eat fatty meats - but no potatoes, bread, rice, or pasta - is usually unabashed shock and a declaration that they couldn't live without their carby favorites.

Because there is little to no LC support out in the real world, I appreciate that there are also other LC forums out there in the cyber-world - I'm a member on a few of them.

Still, this particular LC forum is the only one I know of where the news on dietary studies, and scientific evidence are discussed at length, and I greatly appreciate that, despite the fact that I tend to become very lost in some of the scientific discussions here which go much beyond blood sugar/insulin issues, and the dietary fat/satiation/sustained energy connection, because I just don't have a deep scientific background. (not that I don't appreciate those discussions - I just get lost in the scientific jargon)

One of the things I like best about this forum is the longevity of it, and the way that when an old research/media topic recurs in the media, the time is taken to bring up the original thread again - makes you realize just how long the controversy has gone on, and how much (or - in most cases - how little) has changed since then.