Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-15-16, 16:34
Now.

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 224/209.5/150 Female 69.5 inches
BF:50%/49.6%/24%
Progress: 20%
Default Insulin Resistance

Hi. I've been a member here for a very long time, but I have been lurking.

I'm not really sure where I belong in the forums, but I've decided to start here, as I'm most interested in the diabetes topics in general. I'm not diabetic (not yet), but I'm sure that insulin resistance is at the bottom of all of my health issues. I've had reactive hypoglycemia since I was a teenager, and since I now qualify for Medicare, that has been a very long time. When I'm eating low-carb, I don't have any problems with blood sugar drops and all associated misery.

Other than fatness, health concerns are long-term high cholesterol (that I have not been worried about other than to argue with my various doctors regarding refusing statins), a cancer diagnosis in 2010 that led to participating in a clinical trial that involved 5 years of treatments, and ongoing autoimmune and inflammation issues.

I've done well in the past with an IF approach. Right before my cancer diagnosis I had lost around 25 pounds and was down two sizes with a not-very-strict low carb menu and the Fast-5 approach -- and some exercise.

I've just finished reading The Obesity Code and am very interested in Dr Fung's ideas. Am starting to implement those (I think starting with 8-hour window most days) along with a Primal menu.

Many thanks to all of you who have been posting and participating while I have been lurking.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-15-16, 19:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome former lurker Peggy. I too have had an issue with reactive hypoglycemia since I was a kid (although I didn't figure that out until just recently). Insulin resistance just made the problem worse over time and I eventually did become diabetic. This WOE has reversed all of that. I finally made this how I eat and stopped the traditional "dieting" approach that I had always done (and failed at countless times). This forum -- and those members who have gotten healthy, taken off the weight, and kept it off helped me see the error of my ways. When I made LCHF how I eat for life, amazing things happened. Even my insulin resistance seems to have taken a hike. My BG numbers are terrific. I am likely still reactive hypoglycemic - but I just don't eat enough carbs to ever find out.

Again - welcome and thanks for coming out of the shadows. We have a great group here and we need more active members. Consider starting a journal. It is nice to have a home base to log your journey and it gives other members a place to post encouragement and accolades.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-15-16, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Welcome, Peggy! I dealt with hypoglycemia, too, and for a long time, was able to control it by eating more protein than carbs at breakfast, and "balancing" them throughout the day. With low fat, of course, because that's what we all thought we were supposed to do, right?

But my BG was slowly rising on my annual bloodwork, and I knew it was a matter of time...

You'll find many people here who are using IF not only to control their insulin levels, but along with that to increase the speed of their weight loss and, in general, the hold that food has over nearly all of us.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 12:43
Now.

Thanks, Khrussva and MickiSue!

It looks like you both are doing really well -- congratulations for sticking with it.

I always know I'm on the right track when I don't have to carry stuff with me to help out with the low blood sugar. I've been moving toward that for the past couple of weeks with more Primal type menus and shorter eating window. Haven't had any "emergencies" in several days and I've dropped a few pounds, so I'm happy with that.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 13:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hi Peggy, there's a few of us who experienced hypoglycemia without any indications of being pre-diabetic or diabetic. I always tested negative with the typical fasting BG tests. However, I knew something was wrong given the way I'd react several hours after eating a high carb food. It was clear that I had low blood sugar during those times and had all the symptoms. The good thing is that it's easily managed once you know what and when to eat, as Ken and MickieSue have mentioned. This is why many realize soon after seeing results that this is a journey to good health where weight loss is only one of the important benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 11:59
Now.

Yes, Rob -- That's exactly my experience. And depending on the type of carbs (e.g., especially wheat), it could happen within 2 hours. I've had periods where I've eaten pretty consistently low carb, and those lows disappear. Lots of benefits to sticking with the plan!