Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 18:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Kroger Premium Meter & test strips?

Anyone here use them? They're a lot cheaper than what I've been using (Accu-Chek Aviva) & wondered how accurate they are.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 19:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

We have a Walgreens brand and it works fine.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 04:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Many of the store brands are manufactured by True and are the same I have been buying here on-line. http://www.adwdiabetes.com/search.aspx?keywords=True
I have been using TrueBalance Kit with 100 strips and happy with it, but took advantage of a April fool free shipping offer to buy the newer version TrueMetrix Kit. Maybe meaningless difference but wanted to try it.

Later....Found a 2013 article that Kroger and Target brands are made by another company AgaMatrix. http://testyourbloodglucosesugarlev...st-test-strips/. You can find those on-line too. http://www.adwdiabetes.com/search.a...words=agamatrix But Kroger may offer some reward pricing in store that is just as good or better. From 2012, http://ir.kroger.com/Cache/10011851...153&iid=4004136
Check the meter box for manufacturer name be sure it is still AgaMatrix.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-05-16 at 06:32.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 09:29

BF:

Thanks. I'll check out the links.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-16, 10:48

BF:

I talked with a pharmacist at Fred Meyer about the Kroger meters & test strips. They have 2 levels. The really cheap one has a lot of complaints about being inaccurate. The more expensive one (only a couple dollars cheaper than my Accu-Chek Aviva) is much more accurate. I guess you get what you pay for.

But I may be getting more test strips from the VA. When I sent in the refill paperwork she asked why I was getting only 50 strips every 3 months & how often I was checking. When I told her I was buying extra strips on my own, she said she'd try to get me more. That will be nice!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 09:37
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

I've tried a number of meters and read many people's blogs and posts about the meters and accuracy. Here's my conclusion: There's accuracy, and then there is "accuracy."

Accuracy on one level means that the meter is as close to possible as what a lab might test you at. Therefore, if the lab tests you at 95, and your meter tests you at 95, that would have a good level of accuracy. Very few meters will ever meet these requirements. I think the Freestyle Lite is one that consistently gets rated well with this kind of accuracy.

On the other hand there is "accuracy" which just means that it is consistent. In other words, it may not register "95" in the above example, but it may rate 90 or 100, or even 85 or 105. But....it rates consistently the same plus or minus variation to your true reading that a lab would give you. I think most meters fall into this category. These meters will either measure consistently low, or consistently high. And I think for most Type 2 diabetics, this is "good enough." I'm guessing your Kroger meter falls into this category. If you're not injecting insulin, this is good enough because you can tell by the spikes when you are not eating properly. As a T2D not taking insulin, most of us don't need to worry about dropping too low. So again, these should be fine.

Then there is a third type of meter. It has lots of variation up and down. It never is never consistent, and varies a lot. An example of this in my experience is the Relion Prime which Walmart sells cheaply, and the strips are probably the cheapest ones out there. I don't think this is a good meter for anyone because you don't really know where you stand.

If any of us have to buy our own strips, I think we would be better off testing less frequently than using the Relion Prime, in my experience. I buy my own strips because my medical insurance has too high copays to make it worth it. I use the Accuchek Aviva (mostly) and buy all of my strips on Ebay. I usually buy just enough to get by, and buy them close dated to the expiration and I get them reasonably priced. I have been pretty fortunate with that.

I've tested it against the Freestyle Lite and it comes in pretty close. I may start buying the Freestyle Lite strips on Ebay as I think they are a bit cheaper than the Aviva.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 04:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good summary, Marvin. And I can add the accuracy between one meter system and another. I've been doing the last strips from the TrueBalance (thick paper strips like Relion) and the new updated TrueMetrix (thinner, better type contact, claims of fancy chemical analysis ) They have ranged from 3 to 10 points different, and not consistent which meter is higher. All within allowed accuracy on the same drop of blood. The Metrix appears a step up in quality, but still inexpensive compared to others, under $20 for 100.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-16-16 at 05:00.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Good summary, Marvin. And I can add the accuracy between one meter system and another. I've been doing the last strips from the TrueBalance (thick paper strips like Relion) and the new updated TrueMetrix (thinner, better type contact, claims of fancy chemical analysis ) They have ranged from 3 to 10 points different, and not consistent which meter is higher. All within allowed accuracy on the same drop of blood. The Metrix appears a step up in quality, but still inexpensive compared to others, under $20 for 100.

Thanks! I'll keep the Metrix in mind if the VA doesn't up the prescription for test strips.